Review of "Fisher-Price Kick + Play Piano"

published 20/09/2005 | kimp123
Member since : 23/09/2004
Pro Entertainment for your child. Fun. Batteries last and last.
Cons Doesn't fit onto cots without rails.

"Live and Kicking."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fisher Price Kick and Play Piano.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I recently purchased this interactive toy for my six month old baby. I could have bought it earlier though as it is aged from birth to 36 months.

I paid £16 for the toy from my local Mothercare store, but believe that they are widely available from most 'good' toy stockists. Although at the time I got mine, ELC didn't have one.

Although my baby is excellent at night (dare I say it) and goes down into his cot wide awake, then quickly falls asleep by himself, I felt that it would be nice for him to have something to play with. Hence the purchase of this Kick and Play Piano.

About the Piano
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The 'Piano' is encased in soft colourful fabric. There is an ON/OFF switch where you can select any one of three modes. It has keys with pictures of animals on and shapes with letters on, which can be pressed or kicked to activate different sounds or tunes.

The reverse side of the piano has three ties for attachment to babies cot. However in the instruction booklet a clear warning states that once your child can sit up unassisted you should remove from the cot, incase they use this to enable them to climb out. You can still use the toy on the floor e.t.c

The piano can be attached to the side of the cot, alongside your child, when they are newborn as they will easily see and hear it. Once your baby is a little older, it can be moved to the foot of the cot for baby to activate with his feet.

Play Time!
~~~~~~~~

The Kick and Play Piano features three different modes.

*Melody Medley*

This is mode 1 and features 10 different nursery melodies with a twinkling light display.Without interruption the music and lights will continue for 10 mins.
If baby touches any keys then the tune will skip to the next one and continue through all 10 melodies three times. When it has gone through all melodies three times without being touched it will' go to sleep' and turn off.

*Play and Learn*

This is mode 2 and helps your child to learn about numbers, letters and animals. It encourages baby to kick or press piano by rewarding it with the corresponding animal noise, letter or number. If not touched the piano will again go to sleep mode.

*Floor Piano*

Mode 3, where your child can press keys on the piano to compose their own tune, with twinkling lights to accompany it. If the piano is not being played with it will play a short musical prompt and if still not activated will go to sleep mode. Any key can then be pressed to get it going again.

More about the Piano
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Piano requires 3 x AA (LR6) Batteries.
You can find the battery compartment door on the back of the toy.

Also on the back of the toy is a volume adjustment switch. You can adjust to high or low, whatever suits your child.

The cover of this toy can be removed and hand washed in cold water. You cannot tumble dry. The piano itself can be wiped clean with a damp cloth.

My Verdict
~~~~~~~~

I think that this is a good quality entertaining and educational toy. It is what I would expect from Fisher Price.

At £16 it is good value for money and comparable to other toys on the market.

It's activities are varied and interesting. It will last from birth until the baby is a lot older because it will progress with the child.
I recommend this toy and wish that I had bought it even earlier.

Next I think I will buy one of those floor pianos that you can step/walk on to play a tune. Will it be for me or my baby? ...
Wait and see!

Thanks for reading. x

• Salson published 17/11/2005
    excellent review think this will do for nephew's xmas
  • sghawken published 14/11/2005
    Maybe I should have one of these.
  • garleon published 12/11/2005
    Can the wee one play chopstics or Chopin yet? gar