Review of "Fitbit Charge HR"

published 16/01/2017 | siberian-queen
Member since : 15/04/2011
Hopefully lots of skin care reviews as i am able, lots of freebies to try out! :0
Pro easy to use, encourages expertise
Cons can get obsessive to use it

"Stepping up to my FitBIt challenges"

Fitbit Charge HR

Fitbit Charge HR

I am not the fittest person in the word by any means, however I am undoubtbly fitter than in my teens and 20’s and in fact surprisingly to me my fitness has improved the older I have got.

Last year my chap bought me a FitBit Charge HR. He purchased me this as a birthday gift as I was trying to get apps to work on my phone to show how far I had walked with the dogs and generally through the day.

****FITBIT THE COMPANY****

An American company set up in 2007 which provides wireless activity trackers.

****WHY THE CHARGE HR****

With the FitBit you can choose different colour straps /watches and can also purchase these afterwards and interchange them.
For me this was a gift but I had been looking at the range online before and is why it was given to me.
The Charge HR is more of a watch style which I wanted as I didn’t really have a watch apart from a going out one. This was really the main factor for me and that I could sync it to my phone.
The Charge provided more than some of the other FitBits at the time and so I felt it was more suited to my exercise needs.

****DESIGN****

The general design is basic retro watch I would say. It is a plastic/rubber strap with a thin digital screen. The strap is 2cm wide with the screen being 1cm in depth.
Mine is purple but you can purchase various colours and I suspect black is the predominant colour chosen. Not particularly girly or manly it is very unisex.

As it is rubber type material it is easier to keep clean with a simple wipe over unlike fabric straps, this becomes important if you are wearing it a lot doing sport or whilst sleeping.

One button on the side. This is where you scroll through you date, heart rate, steps etc. Easy design and so simply to use it is very difficult to get wrong.

****GETTING FITTER WITH MY FITBIT****

In the following section I will elaborate on the features it provides and what my experience of them are.

Setting up was incredibly easy. I simply charged my FitBit with the charger provided for about an hour I think and then went online to www.fitbit.com and setup my account and registration. The watch is then synced to the site and you can set up you personalized requirements.

In the box you get the watch, a wireless dongle and a charger.

There are a couple of different designs for the way that your display is set regarding the time and date. These are basic and again retro digital in style, nothing fancy but they do the job.
When you go online to setup your account it asks you to set in your individual parameters such as height and weight. This is so that the FitBit can more accurately determine calories used etc.

HEART RATE-

The FitBit will continuously monitor your heart rate via the sensors attached to the back of the watch, which are in contact with the skin. This is displayed on the front of the watch and can be seen by just pressing the button on the side.
I have found this very accurate to be fair. I have felt my own pulse several times in comparison to the watch and it is always pretty much correct.
If you go for a run for example and later go back home and go to you fitbit app on the phone or computer you can see a more detailed view of you heart through the day. This includes showing you if you are in fat burn or peak hear rate range.

ACTIVITY –

The step counter is really what I bought it for to begin with. Whilst out with my dogs I wear the watch and it counts away my steps continuously.
If you do more than 10 minutes exercise it will recognize that you are doing for example a run and record that into you fitbit app.
You can also see with a push of the side button, how many floors you have climbed (this also includes in you are going up a hill) and the calories burnt by doing things over the day.

SLEEP –

This intrigued me. Not thinking it would really work I tried it and was shock to find it did very well.
You wear you watch to bed and it tracks how many hours you sleep, time to time and also how many awake and restless times you have! My chap says I am constantly fidgeting around and sadly this has proven him right.
The only down side is the monitor on the back of the watch is little green lights which can light up the room if your arms are moving about.

I have found the FitBit a great help to support my increasing fitness, yes it has limitations but it is simple to use and fun to watch if not slightly obsessive!
With this in mind you can join friends on the app and challenge them to who does the most steps etc. You also get badges for achieving so many steps.

****COST & AVALIABILITY****

The Charge HR is now the older version, a new charge 2 is out with more updates and design, which can be found on the website.

The charge HR can be purchased for around £50 on EBay now and I think that is a very reasonable price for the item, as they were more than double that when they first came out.

****COMPARISONS****

Of course there are various apps for phones both free and paid for which will do similar things to the FitBit. I however find that apps don’t always sync as well with what I am actually doing as well as a watch, especially as I put my phone down for periods of time and therefore it is not very accurate.

There are also various different watch style pieces by other companies like Apple who do there own and Garmin etc. which provide sport watches.
All I can say is do your research before purchasing any particular one as they all have different price ranges and offer sometimes significantly different things.

****OVERALL****

I love my FitBit and have become slightly obsessive about my steps. I will certainly purchase another or upgrade to another within the FitBit range.

Whilst I was writing this review my FitBit died ☹ well the plug in section for charging it died. After speaking to the company I was pleasantly surprised that I was offered the option of a straight swap of the same or 30% off a new version of any on the website.
I was not overly impressed that it broke whilst I have only had it a year and 4 months, despite pretty much constant use. However they’re apparently has been issues with this part breaking and so I was happy enough when offered the above deal.
Watch this space for my review of the FitBit Blaze I have just ordered!

Review maybe posted on other sites under the same username Siberian-queen©

• calara published 18/03/2017
    adding some.
  • raspberry_ripple published 08/03/2017
    Nicely done
  • Liebellu published 31/01/2017
    WOW not a fit buff but this I like!

offers "Fitbit Charge HR"