Fitbit Zip

Fitbit Zip

Review of "Fitbit Zip"

published 22/03/2017 | angelfish28
Member since : 28/05/2013
Formerly scubaangel. Finally settled, for now, in the South East. Busy busy busy, will be back soon!
Pro small and discrete
Cons limited data, have to remember to put it on

"You'll soon be Zipping around with this Fitbit"

A while ago I reviewed my choice of fitness monitor, which at the time was the Misfit Shine, while I do still wear the Shine I decided a few months ago that it was silly having an app on my phone tracking steps which then linked to other apps where I get rewarded for my steps or other activity so I cashed in some points for gift vouchers and took myself down to a well known electronics store and came home with the FitBit Zip.

I picked the Zip as it's not designed to be worn on the wrist meaning I can still wear my Shine and it was the cheapest option in the Fitbit range.

It resembles the old fashioned pedometers you might have worn 5-10 years ago and like those clips on to a waist band.

Out of the box the Zip is a small squareish plastic blob with a single colour plastic body - mine is black - and a digital screen filling most of one side. There are no buttons so to scroll through the data display options or turn back on the screen ater a period of inactivity you have to tap it firmly. It is powered by a button cell battery, like the Shine it's claimed that a battery will last up to 3 months, so far I've used two batteries in it over a period of 4 months.

I wear mine in the Fitbit supplied clip but other accessories are avaialbe. The clip is a pretty basic rubber holder fthe same shape as the Zip with a strong metal clip enclosed in the rubber on the back. Once in the holder the Zip is held securely and so far I've not managed to knock it loose.

As with all Fitbits it connects with the app via bluetooth or the supplied dongle and it's via the app that you can glean the most data.

The Zip itself displays a range of information on its small digital screen, the only option you can't turn off is the step count, but you can also set it to display the time, the distance travelled (miles or km), calories burned and smileys.

Personally I find the smileys quite cute, the time is functional as my Shine is currently set to not tell the time, I occasionally turn on the distance option but it's unusual.

From the app you can also find out your active minutes, which can be seen as a numerical or a chart of activity vs time of day. The Zip doesn't have GPS, the ability to track sleep or flights of stairs which does make the information it can get you rather limited compared to the other Fitbits available.

The real strength of Fitbit is not in its devices but in its app's social features, I enjoy the weekly competitions with my friends over our step counts - strangely its almost always won by a friend who is a dog walker.....but setting her step count aside among other friends it has motivated us all to try for a few more steps each day to try and get that weekly win. Also the fact that other app developers allow it to connect more easily - currently the data from my Zip is off loaded to four other apps/websites where I recieve points redeemable for vouchers or cash for my activities, the Misfit developers only connect to one of those four.

While still a fan of my Shine's ability to swim with me I find that the Fitbit platform offers me more interactivity and I get a little fed up of having to try to remember to swop the Zip between outfits at times so I think that at some point this year I'll be looking to upgrade my Fitbit to the Flex 2 as its the first one they offer which can be taken for a swim.

I paid around £35 for my Zip, which it seems is a little cheaper than the norm as it's advertised for around £40 at most retailers currently. The Zip can be bought in a range of colours Charcoal, Lime Green, Dark Blue, Pink and White so there's a colour for everyone - mine's the Charcoal - though I'd call it black not dark grey (as its also advertised) as I have to wear black trousers for work and prefer for it to blend in not stand out.

• DodoRabbit published 02/04/2017
    Nicely done :)
  • elfbwillow published 28/03/2017
    Well reviewed
  • Pointress published 28/03/2017
    vh

offers "Fitbit Zip"

Product Information : Fitbit Zip

Get a kick out of fitness with this little device. It tracks your steps, distance, and calories burned - and syncs those stats to your computer and select smartphones. In doing so, it celebrates how much more you do each day. Zip encourages you to set goals, challenge friends, and go farther - one step at time. That's how you turn everyday life into a social, achievable, awesome path to fitness. By showing you how your day is stacking up, Zip encourages you to get up and go... and keep going! It helps you make those small changes that can add up to something big.

Product Description: Fitbit Zip - activity tracker - lime, Fitbit Zip - activity tracker - magenta, Fitbit Zip - activity tracker - blue, Fitbit Zip - activity tracker - charcoal, Fitbit Zip - activity tracker - white

Product Type: Activity tracker

Connectivity: Bluetooth

Display: Monochrome LCD

Input: Touch screen

Tracking Data: Distance, time, calories burned, activity, steps taken

Battery Run Time: Up to 6 month(s)

Colour: Lime, Magenta, Blue, Charcoal, White

Input Device

Type: Touch sensitive screen

Battery

Form Factor: CR2025

Run Time (Up To): 6 month(s)

Dimensions & Weight

Width: 28 mm

Depth: 9.65 mm

Height: 35.5 mm

Weight: 8 g

Miscellaneous

System Requirements for PC Connection: Apple MacOS X 10.5 or later, Microsoft Windows Vista / XP / 7 / 8

Protection: Splashproof

Compliant Standards: Directive 1999/5/EC, Directive 2006/95/EC, Directive 2011/65/EU, EN 50581:2012, EN60950-1:2006 + A12:2011, EN 300 328 V1.7.1 (2006-10), EN 301 489-17 V2.2.1 (2009-05)

Included Accessories: Wireless sync dongle, clip, battery door tool