Review of "Fixwiz Repair Sticks"

published 04/06/2007 | laramax
Member since : 11/10/2006
Back again after a lengthy absence - with a new puppy in the house I can only visit here every now and then!
Pro Easy to use and creates solid repair
Cons You need to use it quickly once mixed

"Quick and permanent repairs and fixings"

I do know I am something of a sucker for the advertising concerning new products and I do enjoy watching the QVC DIY show on a Sunday morning while I read the Sunday papers. The other week when I was watching I saw the demonstration of Fixwiz repair sticks and I was fascinated.

Basically the Fixwiz repair sticks are sticks of an epoxy resin which are brown on the outside, white on the inside, and in order to activate the stuff you just cut off the amount you need and then knead it between your fingers until the brown and the white are fully mixed. As you knead the mixture becomes warm and it takes only minutes before it is ready to use - but remember it takes only minutes to set hard so you need to be ready to use it more of less straight away once it is mixed!

I live in a modern house where the walls are 'dry lined' - in other words all the walls are lined with plasterboard which can make it a little tricky to get a sound fixing when you need to fix something to the wall. The previous owners had fixed curtain tie backs by screwing into the plasterboard but the fixings had become very loose and my attempts to refix them using plasterboard plugs had failed miserably as the plasterboard had been damaged and the holes were too close together to get any king of sound fixing. I needed some way of getting a solid repair on the plasterboard and wasn't convinced that filler would give me a solid enough repair.

This struck me as an ideal place to try out the Fixwiz to see if it was as good as the advertising suggested. I removed the curtain tie backs, the screws and the plugs and cut off a small piece of Fixwiz. I mixed it by kneading it with my fingers and in no time at all it was fully mixed, warm and ready to put into the holes. It was very easy to push into place and smooth over - so far so good. In the demonstration I had seen the lady had screwed into it within minutes (before it went hard) and then it had set firm within five minutes holding the screws firm. I did the same as I was curious to see if it really did work.

It was starting to set as I screwed into it but that didn't stop me screwing the fixings home. Within about five minutes it had set hard and I was able to use the tie backs almost immediately. The fixings are very firm and solid and there had been no deterioration in the couple of weeks since I used it.

I am impressed with the product as it does what it claims to do and is simplicity itself to use - anyone can do it. They claim you can use it to repair almost anything - you can use it as a filler and sand it down smooth once it is set, you can use it to fix all kinds of material and it will set hard and firmly within minutes. It isn't cheap at £14 for two 150 mm sticks but they say you can store them for ages and they will not deteriorate so it is useful to have as a standby for tricky repairs or to fix things.

Fixwiz hardens in 5 minutes and can be drilled, filed, painted and varnished. It is suitable for use on metals, brick, glass, ceramic, plastic and wood so it is very versatile. It can be used to fix, bond, seal or restore just about anything you can think of! They also say it will even seal leaks although I must admit I haven't tried using it for that.

Would I recommend it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes I would - if you like gadgets and have a tricky little repair job to do it is pretty good. I am quite happy to have it in my tool kit and I have no doubt I will use it again and again to solve fixing problems or repair things that have become damaged. The good thing about this stuff is that it does appear to last once you have fixed things.

This review was read 2056 times and was rated at

• roberto900 published 24/07/2007
    Sounds really interesting. Thanks for a really good review! Rob.
  • harrisjalil published 01/07/2007
    wow! new information for me --harris :-)
  • suzywong666 published 16/06/2007
    Never heard of these, but they do sound useful. Suzy x