Attraction

Review of "Flamingo Land Holiday Village, North Yorkshire"

published 22/07/2017 | mummytobe78
Member since : 20/07/2014
Pro Fun for all ages. Very clean
Cons Not much to do if it is raining
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Brilliant holiday for the kids"

Flamingo Land Holiday Village, North Yorkshire

We have just returned from 5 days in Flamingo Land. We stayed in a caravan with our 16 year old, 14 year old and 2 year old and all of us had a great time.

Flamingo Land is part of Hoseasons.

****BOOKING THE HOLIDAY****

I booked the holiday in January through the website flamingo land.co.uk. I paid in full at the time of booking although it did give me the option to pay a deposit then pay the holiday up. Booking was very easy and once I decided on my dates and what I wanted it was done in less than 10 minutes.

I immediately received confirmation of the booking via email then a second email with booking details attached. 2 weeks before the holiday we received the same attachments again to remind us.

****GETTING THERE*****

Flamingo Land is in Kirby, Misperton, in North Yorkshire.

We drove from Glasgow and it took us around 6 hours in total although we did stop twice for lunch and to let Harry get a little run around. There were plenty of service stations on the road up. I think we travelled on the A64/A170 and A169.

A look on the internet tells me the nearest train station is in nearby Malton and there are then regular buses to take you to Flamingo Land. There are also buses from cities such as Glasgow which will take you to Flamingo Land.

While we were driving there we went through a lot of countryside although we did get a bit lost. We went to Scarborough for a day and it was a 45 minute drive.

I could and should probably say more about getting there but I am awful with directions. I'm lucky I can find my way around the town I live in. Obviously how you get there very much depends on where you are coming from. I will add though that there really were not a lot of signposts for Flamingo Land and if I had not been using my Google Maps on my phone we would probably still be looking for it.
It is very much off the main road and in the countryside. More sign posts would definitely be beneficial.

****ACCOMMODATION****

Flamingo Land has a choice of caravans, lodges and there is also a large area for you to bring your own caravan or tent. We stayed in a Woodlands Gold 6 Caravan. You can hire a high chair or cot for £25 a week although we did not do this.

Our caravan slept 6 people so there was plenty of room for 5 of us. There was a double bedroom and 2 twin bedrooms.

Harry and I slept in the double bedroom. This room was larger than I expected. The bed was extremely comfortable and the pillows fluffy and soft. I brought my own pillows as I usually find other pillows uncomfortable but the ones here were fine. Although there were no drawers apart from a small one on each bedside cabinet, there was a large wardrobe and 2 cabinets above the bed with shelves.

The twin rooms were slightly smaller but not uncomfortably small. They each had a wardrobe and cabinets with shelves. There was plenty of room to store our clothes.

There was a small ensuite toilet which was just a toilet and sink in the double bedroom. The main toilet had a toilet, sink, shower and a cabinet above the sink. This was a quite large room. The shower was excellent - very powerful and plenty of hot water. Not at all what I expected!

The kitchen had everything we could need - pots and pans, cutlery, cooking utensils, plates, cups, glasses, chopping board, microwave, fridge freezer, cooker, kettle and toaster.

The living area was large and had a freeview TV which worked perfectly. The couch ran round half of the caravan and there was also a curved couch at the dining table and 2 stools at the dining table. When we counted seats you could sit 15 average size people. Although it would be a squash there would be a seat for them all.

Everything in the caravan was spotlessly clean and it had a nice fresh smell. The areas where the caravans were looked very well kept and there was plenty of bins. Our caravan was only a 2 to 3 minute walk to the attractions.

The beds were made up when we arrived. We did have to take our own towels but that is normal for this type of holiday. There was a little welcome pack containing a dish cloth, washing up sponge, a bin bag and a little bottle of washing up liquid. We had taken all this with us so ended up bringing the welcome pack home.

The caravan also had a small vacuum cleaner and a dustpan and brush.

Our caravan was only a 2 to 3 minute walk to the main park.

There was room beside each caravan to park your car. And large grassy areas which Harry loved to run about on blowing his bubbles. There was also a small children's play area beside the caravans.

The area to take your own tents is beside the swimming/leisure complex. This looked to be well equipped with plenty of toilets etc and plug points.

****CHECKING IN AND OUT****

Check in time is 4pm and you need to check out by 10am. We arrived around 1.30pm and expected to be too early to check in. We went to reception hoping to get our wristbands so we could go into the main park until our caravan was ready. However we got lucky and were able to get in our caravan straight away. Obviously this depends on if your caravan is ready so might not happen every time. When we checked in we were given wristbands (except Harry who did not need one) and a piece of paper with our car registration number so that if we left the park we could get back in by showing this. We were also given a map of the park and our keys. The whole process was very easy and only took 5 minutes.

Checking out was simply a case of handing they keys back.

****THEME PARK****

The theme park has rides for all ages. Harry's favourites were the pink elephants, the teacups and the horses carousel. There was also the little monsters den of mischief, balloon race, splash battle (which gets you very wet) and a big wheel in the shape of wagons to name just a few.

For the older and more hard-core there is Cliffhanger which is one of Europe's tallest vertical ride, Flip Flop - a swinging rotating ride, Mumbo Jumbo rollercoaster, Kumali rollercoaster and Velocity which is a motorbike rollercoaster. There are many others.

Probably our favourite ride and one we were in every day is the Lost River ride which takes you on a lovely slow boat safari to see giraffes, zebras and ostrich and then plunges you down 60 feet at high speed into water getting you soaked. Being a bit of a wimp this was the only ride I went on except the ones I was on with Harry.

As well as the many rides you also have Dinoland which is a world of dinosaurs. There is dino dig where children can dig in sand for fossils, dinosaur themed rides, and realistic looking dinosaurs and a gift shop.

There is also monorails, a train and a cable car.

There are splash areas with water fountains coming from the ground for children to play with and a water pirate ship. We were lucky and had hot weather so Harry was stripped down to his nappy and allowed to get as wet as he wanted.

There are also old fashioned cars to drive and tractor rides

****ZOO****

The zoo is situated right beside the theme park and has all the usual animals you would expect - giraffes, zebras, ostrich, Emu, hippos, rhinos, lions, monkeys, penguins and many more. There is also a sea lion show and parrot show.

In the zoo you have Muddy Duck Farm which is all farm animals and a tractor ride. This leads on to Peter Rabbit land. This is newly opened and a lot of work is still being done so all we really saw was the very expensive gift shop and a play park but it looks like there will be much more.

There is also Children's Planet which has animals like merecats, reptiles and snakes and a large wooden play area.

I'm not a fan of zoos but the animals did all look well cared for and seemed to have plenty of room to walk about.

****ENTERTAINMENT****

We stuck to The Club which is at the entrance to the park as this was where the children's entertainment is. There is a bar and amusement arcade then you go through an archway to the very large room where the entertainment was. There were more than enough tables and a dance floor. There was also table service available for drinks.

The children's entertainment was very good. We had a panto, a magic show, disney princess and superheroes and teeny tots party time. All of the entertainers were excellent with the children and all ages were catered for.

If you don't want children's entertainment there is other options. You have the Plaza Bar which has live music and karaoke. Riverside one has singer's such as X Factor Union J. And the Coach House has live singer's on a Saturday night. There are also amusement arcades.

****LEISURE COMPLEX****

The leisure complex was around a 10 minute walk from our caravan. My husband went to the gym and sauna and said both were excellent and had everything he could need including water machines etc.

The swimming had shutes for the little ones and bigger flumes. There was also an outdoor area with slides etc and water. The water was a perfect temperature and the changing rooms were clean and spacious.

There was also a climbing wall which my stepson tried and archery. Outside the swimming was a small enclosed football pitch with goals. My boys went in for a game of football and Harry loved it.

****FACILITIES****

The site has a Cost Cutters selling everything from bread and milk, food for cooking meals, right down to cleaning products and toilet brushes. As you would expect the shop was quite expensive but not overly so. It was open from early in the morning until 7pm each day.

The site also has a laundrette. We did not use this so I can't really comment on it but it is handy to know it is there.

There are plenty of toilets located throughout the park including disabled access toilets. All of the disabled toilets and most of the ladies toilets had a baby changing table. The toilets were all spotlessly clean and checked regularly. There were signs up in the ladies some days telling you that these toilets were attended by males.

There were lots of bins throughout the park and even the bins looked clean. I never saw any that were too full. There were signs at the zoo saying if you saw any litter in with the animals to inform a member of staff as it could be harmful to the animals.

****EATING AND DRINKING ****

There are plenty of places to choose to eat and drink. You have numerous stands selling hotdogs drinks and ice cream. There is also an Italian, pizza stall, Chinese, fish and chips and places for pub food as well as an American Diner and a couple of cafes. As you would expect the food can be expensive. We tended to have breakfast in the caravan and take a picnic lunch. We ate out at night in the Italian and Chinese and both were lovely. We ate in the caravan one night and went to Scarborough for dinner another night.

Although food was expensive things like ice cream were not too bad and you could get a 99 for £1.50. There were also plenty of vending machines for cans of juice which was cheaper than buying from the stalls.

****CLEANLINESS****

Everything in the park was very clean. There was staff with trolleys cleaning and emptying the bins and at quiet times we saw staff cleaning the rides. Inside all the eating areas was also very clean.

****VALUE FOR MONEY****

We paid £760 for a Monday to Friday stay. This included our accommodation and gave unlimited access to the zoo, theme park, swimming, gym, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. If we were paying separately a family ticket into Flamingo Land for 2 adults and 2 children would cost £120 for a day so I think we got good value for money.

There are extras you can pay for such as feeding lemurs or giraffes, wall climbing and archery. We did not do any of this except for my stepson doing the wall climbing which cost £1.25 for every 5 minutes.

****OVERALL RECOMMENDATION****

As we have children of varying ages we need to make sure we go on holiday to places which have something for all of them. Flamingo Land fitted the bill perfectly and they all thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

I can think of nothing at all negative except it is quite expensive if you were going for a day, and in one day you would not be able to do and see everything you wanted to. Also there is not much to do if it was a rainy day. We only had rain one day and we just spent the afternoon in the swimming.

We will definitely be booking to go back to Flamingo Land next year and look forward to it already. Next year we are going with my friend and her little boy who is the same age as Harry so it will be even better for Harry to have someone his own age to play with.

• stacie17 published 18/08/2017
    Definitely worth the Diamond! E x
  • jo-1976 published 09/08/2017
    Congratulations on the diamond x
  • lj1989 published 29/07/2017
    Brilliant review. I'm all out of Es but will try and remember to come back!