Flamingo, Las Vegas

Flamingo, Las Vegas

Review of "Flamingo, Las Vegas"

published 12/02/2017 | aclevername
Member since : 22/04/2012
Pro well located, reasonably priced, clean, modern rooms, good views
Cons none
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"A Great Place To Stay In Las Vegas!"

I had never really fancied visiting Las Vegas but time and time again I heard people saying they hadn’t fancied it but when they went they thought it was brilliant. Over a few years it became a place I knew I should definitely try and last year the time came around to visiting Las Vegas as part of a bigger trip where we visited California.

~ Price ~
I spent a long time researching where I wanted to stay in Las Vegas and ended up booking 3 nights at the Flamingo arriving on a Tuesday and leaving on Friday and then I stayed in a cheaper hotel, The Stratosphere for Friday and Saturday night as the price sky-rocketed on Friday and Saturday.
When looking for a room on booking.com I upgraded to a room with a ‘high roller view’. The High Roller is the world’s largest ferris wheel which opened in March 2014. I chose this because it was only about £20 extra and I thought it would add to our experience in Las Vegas.
There were rooms with a view of The Strip but they were all sold out. Those rooms overlook the fountains at the Bellagio, but I think they are a little bit more expensive.
The hotel cost £184.57 for 3 nights. This did not include a resort fee of around $29.00 or £23.23 per night. I was also charged a non-sterling transaction fee of around £5.00 for using my card to pay in dollars.
This was not the cheapest hotel in Las Vegas, but it was probably the cheapest of the key players; the big hotels on the main part of The Strip. There are some hotels with no resort fee but they are places like the Travelodge and I don’t think any of them are actually on The Strip although they are close by.
I didn’t want to go all the way to Las Vegas and stay anywhere other than The Strip!

~ Our Room ~
We pulled up to the hotel under a circle of lights in a pattern on the ceiling. The hotel lobby was bright and airy and quite busy. We were able to check in using machines to avoid queues. The machines were easy to use and issued our room keys. There were lots of lifts available to use and we rarely had to wait for one.

The room itself was nice and cool. The walls were cream and the floor had a dark brown wood effect and was kept nice and clean. There were two double beds and plenty of floor space for our cases. There was a bedside table in the middle of the two beds with a lamp, phone and alarm clock which displayed the time in red lights which was handy especially as we were jet-lagged and didn’t know whether we were coming or going never mind what time of day it was.
The large floor to ceiling window looked blacked out from the outside so you couldn’t really see in unless the lights were on. There were floor to ceiling curtains which could be pulled along easily.
There was a chair by the window and a TV and desk at the bottom of the bed.
The bathroom was clean and tidy and the shower worked well. No matter when we showered we always got hot water and it wasn’t one of those showers that only gives you a trickle of water.
I was impressed with the size of our room and was able to reorganise my case without worrying about taking over the whole floor. I also used the ironing board and iron, found in my room, to iron some of my clothes that had become creased.
The decor was fairly plain and seemed modern. Our bed sheets were white and clean. The cleaners came to our room every day and replaced our towels and kept the surfaces clean.

The window gave us a great view of the High Roller which was lovely during the day as well as lit up at night. There were mountains on the horizon and you could see a hint of the hotel’s pool through the trees in the hotel grounds.

~ More About The Hotel ~
The hotel gardens are open to everyone and have flamingos, other birds, turtles and all kinds of different fish. The gardens have a brick pavement and you can pay to have a message, usually your name and sometimes a date, written onto your own brick. The gardens also have a fountain with flamingo statues and there are some parrots there which you can have your photo taken with. The hotel pool is hidden by lots of palm trees and you show your room key to get in. We went in the hotel pool twice. It is an irregular shape and there are areas of shade and sun. The pool was warm. There were more than enough sun loungers to go around if that’s your thing. We used one to leave our towels and belongings on, but we are not sunbathers. The pool area has a bar but it is not actually in the pool. You are allowed to take your drinks in the pool which we and many others did.

The hotel had a few restaurants, bars and shops. One day we went to Carlos ‘n Charlies which isn’t far from the reception. There was a board outside saying the cocktails were buy one get one free. We usually aren’t the cocktail type, but my husband fancied one so we ordered a margarita each, but they turned out to be buy one get one free, one being $15 which is £12.01; more than I’d usually pay for 2 cocktails never mind one! The cocktails were served as slush in disposable plastic bud light cups and there was far too much alcohol in them to the point I couldn’t finish mine. We had burgers there too which weren’t bad and were $16.50 so not much more than their price for one drink.
There was a counter serving pizza a bit further into the hotel, which we tried out once and was really nice and reasonably priced.
The convenience store in the hotel is a little bit pricier than the shops on The Strip such as CVS as you’d expect and there is a promenade with a few different shops selling clothes etc.
The hotel’s casino is huge, as with most of the hotels on The Strip. We aren’t big casino fans but we did have a little go and ended up coming away about $100 (£80.09) up. There are thousands of machines all lit up and all sorts of different games to play. To be honest I didn’t think the casino was much different to the casinos in any of the other hotels. We had a look around all of the main hotels on The Strip and the casinos all seemed like places you could easily get lost and of course, as they say, lose track of time.

~ Conclusion ~
We really enjoyed our stay at the Flamingo and it is somewhere I’d recommend to others. I would consider staying here again if I ever decide to return to Vegas, which is something I wouldn’t rule out.
The location is great. It feels like it is bang in the middle of The Strip with Caesar’s Palace and The Bellagio just across the street and Paris and Harrah’s either side; Harrah’s being right next to The Venetian.
The Flamingo was the best priced hotel on the main part of The Strip and I can’t find fault with it. It still felt like we were staying in one of the main hotels in Las Vegas even though we paid a bit less and I didn’t go into any of the other hotels thinking that they were better.
Our room was lovely. It was comfortable, clean and everything worked fine so I couldn’t have asked for more.
The hotels gardens were great. The flamingos were a big attraction and I liked the fact that the pool was hidden so you didn’t have an audience while you were in your swimwear, not even from people in their hotel rooms as their views were blocked by the palm trees. I also liked the fact there were shaded areas in the pool to cater for sun dodgers like myself.

• IzzyS published 07/05/2017