Review of "Flip Video Ultra HD"

published 06/06/2011 | easyDIYhelp
Member since : 05/06/2011
Pro lightweigh, compact, superb HD quality
Cons poor zoom,
Range & quality of features
Recording quality
Picture quality

"Great little video camera - Flip Video Ultra HD"

Having already owned the standard video camera I was looking for something far less bulky but a video camera that would give good quality video AND still photos.
The Flip Video Ultra HD far exceeded my expectations.
You will find its very, very light and compact, comes with a nifty protective pouch and will fit in your pocket much the same as your mobile phone.
An extreemly good 'point and shoot' video camera with the added addvantage of HD quality.
I found using the camera very easy from the word go. All the controls are at your fingertips and very obvious, even to an oldie like me!
The camera already has some charge when you get it and you can start using it straight away.
I also bought the HDMI lead which plugs straight into the canera and into my HD TV giving instant playback of the days videoing for everyone to see.
I would sugest the additional lead is a must to get full benifit of the HD quality of this camera.
Video editing software comes on the CD but is basic. You can add tittles sound etc but not a great deal more. I tend to use a more proffessional editing software But found just the one drawback with the camera, namely it records at 60fps, which is high, presumably to get the HD quality. However, when editing it was then a problem to acheive slow motion effects. But that was all.
I would recommend the use of a tripod where you can as being so light weight you do tend to loose 'the feel' of the camera which can lead to some wobblyness, even though the Flip Video Ultra HD has built in image stabilization.
Zoom quality is only 2x wich is nothing great really and you also loose some picture quality at full zoom.
You charge the internal bateries simply by plugging into your USB port which is a great feature, but it will also run on 2x AA bateries if you get caught out using up the 2hr recording time.
I found the 8gb memory was more than enough for me to shoot all the vidoe I needed. Of course you do need to download the video as soon as posible to free up memory or simply delete straight from the camera.

MY VERDICT: all in all an excellent litle video camera giving superb high quality HD pictures. I recommend the Flip Video Ultra HD.

• killiefan published 10/06/2011
    Im on the lookout for something like this just now.