Flymo Electric Hover Mower Micro Lite 1000W

Flymo Electric Hover Mower Micro Lite 1000W

Review of "Flymo Electric Hover Mower Micro Lite 1000W"

published 07/05/2001 | dave27
Member since : 24/09/2000
Pro Very easy to use
Cons None so far
Performance
User's Manual
Maintenance

"That time of year again"

Yes, its that time of year again…

I recently managed to pluck up the resolve and willpower to turn a jaundiced eye on my back garden and more exactly my lawn. (Or should that be unkempt patch of misshapen lumps and bumps and hummocks of grass?) The nagging mistress of the house finally got her way and persuaded me that it was time for the DREADED FIRST CUT OF THE YEAR.

All protestations that “It’s still too wet, you’ll make it into a mud bath were exhausted. The harridan was not to be countermanded and the bony finger of fate jabbed into my neck: “Cut the grass, fatty.”

I went to the garage (I always thought garages were supposed to be for cars not a shed which acts as an extension to the local B&Q superstore) to dig out my mower only to find it was a stiff, a corpse, had popped its clogs, had ceased to be, had gone to the big warehouse in the sky, in short was dead, totally dead. I was fed up with it anyway. The idea of those symmetrical bands of sward across the grass and an even cut had long since ceased appealing to me, it was now just hard work and difficult to manoeuvre. For the last 18 months an electrical fault had been developing in it such that it kept cutting out when the grass box was only half full and was really just a death trap awaiting a midsummer mishap. It was a Flymo but it was the type with a large grass box. I used to like it, but Mrs dave27, she of the fearsome and quarrelsome disposition always reckoned “I never thought it worked very well.”

We set about looking for a replacement and eventually espied nother Flymo, this time one without the cumbersome box. I decided on the Turbo-Lite 400. It appealed to me because as well as cutting the grass the goodness would be going back into the garden. It recycled the cuttings as mulch. Sorry but Mrs dave27 is trying to be one of those people who recycle things.

Anyway it has proved to be an excellent choice and I would recommend it to anyone. It’s quite light, is easy to use, takes hardly anytime at all and, best of all, the lawn looks good. The previous mower, which we’d had for about four years was a rotary mower and was really hard work. I’d forgotten exactly how much easier a hovermower was to use. Sod the bands, I’m a lazy sod at heart and a hovermower is child’s play.

Checking it out, they’d made a number of refinements to it in terms of a lead that was moulded into the handle, rather than being a separate item as previously. It’s nice touches like that which make it easier and safer to use. However, it still allows the man of the house to feel like he’s made it via DIY, however, because you have to assemble the handles and screw them onto the body.

There you are I told you dave27 was a big home improvement man at heart!

• stonea published 07/05/2001
    That reminds me, I promised myself I'd cut the grass today! Unfortunately I don't have a Mr Stonea to nag, so I'll have to do it myself.
  • blurbubble published 07/05/2001
    Mowing the lawn! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!! ;o) Great op.
  • LostWitness published 07/05/2001
    Beats using nail scissors and a comb eh?