Flymo Power TRIM 500

Flymo Power TRIM 500

Review of "Flymo Power TRIM 500"

published 22/06/2008 | joerearden
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Light, Easy to Use, Trim and Tidy Edges,Cheaper
Cons Not as powerful as petrol, Need a power supply
Performance
User's Manual
Maintenance

"I love the smell of cut grass in the morning...."

Never thought I would write a review of a strimmer but here I go anyway.

My old man always had a big loud and heavy petrol trimmer at home and I grew up with that but in my house the garden is not half as huge as his and I felt that splashing out a pile of money on a petrol one would be overkill!

So I borrowed a friends battery powered trimmer, after the battery died leaving half the garden still a raging pile of grass edges I went out and bought this baby. And what a pleasure trimming the garden is now!

The first thing is that it is really light, I guess that due to be constructed from plastic pretty much all over other than the main shaft helps with this, then there is no battery back or petrol tank to compete with. Simply take that huge extension lead everyone has somewhere in their garage and spool it out a window or door to the long power cable from the Powertrim, hey presto power!

The trimmer is a little fiddly when setting up but once the cutting line is threaded it will automatically feed itself out in two directions to the correct length, so even if you try and chop up a heavy duty tree and it snaps, it reappears instantly. I suggest wearing the safety goggles or sunglasses as once in a while it can flick a big of twig or stone up round the guard, not enough to damage but may make your eyes water. The line is also great for chopping grass but not feet in trainers as it just seems to bounce off, I wasn't wearing them when I tested that!

As for cutting it has a clever trick up its sleeve, the head can be rotated round to 90 degrees and be used to actually edge the sides of paths and flower beds without having to contort your body to a strange angle. There is also a roller type thing that means you can actually rest it on the ground while doing this.

The trimmer itself is great, can go around the bushes and trees in the garden and its great for shredding weeds (I know it won't kill them but it gives me something fun to do everytime i cut the grass) and for going around clothes line poles etc.

Not as powerful as a petrol trimmer but does the job it says it will and is very easy to use, if you are looking for a good trimmer go for this one or I think there was a slightly lower model when I got mine which I'm sure is pretty good too.

• JamieT123 published 24/06/2008
    great review
  • tune57 published 22/06/2008
    We used to have one of these, but it couldn't manage our 4 lawns. :-)
  • headcase44 published 22/06/2008
    Very good review....I always manage to break these.... Give me a machine and I will cacked it up somehow LOL Thanks. J.