Ford Escort 1.8 TD Hatchback

Ford Escort 1.8 TD Hatchback

Hatchback - Diesel

Review of "Ford Escort 1.8 TD Hatchback"

published 26/05/2004 | slshepley
Member since : 26/05/2004
Pro Great interior, cheap to buy, cheap parts
Cons Everything goes wrong at once
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"1.8 LX TD"

Im only 20 and I love my Escort. This must say something if it was designed for a middle aged family or as a fleet car. Im also a student so there wasn't much of a budget when I went looking for a car twelve months ago.

I have always been interested in cars so when it came time for me to get one I made sure that I was clued up n which to look at. I read all the reviews and even went as far as to get insurance quotes on the different models to see which would work out best for me.

I needed a diesel car because of the mileage I do and the Escort makes these miles pass by very cheaply. I can do around 450 miles per week if I'm busy so the 45mpg I get from the Escort really makes me smile.

As with all fords the interior is excellent. For a car of this price (I paid around £1400 for a 1996 model), I haven't seen a car with interior that is as luxurious as the Escort and that has stood up so well with time.

I have had some problems with the car, a few problems actually and they all happened at the same time. The starter moter went, then the alternator as well as some other niggly faults which made me want to get rid of the car, but now that they're sorted I'm glad that I didn't. I picked up the parts pretty cheaply and fitted them myself. I'm certainally no mechanic, but the Escort is easy to work on with a little help from those in the know and the car's nor running as good as new.

I would definately recommend this car to anyone thats on a tight budget but still wants a little bit of luxury. It's no 'boy racer' car but the turbo makes it fast enough to give any idiot in a Saxo a run for their money at the traffic lights. Its size means that its great for the motorway without being too big for around town and its a pleasure to drive.

I thought I'd finished until I got to the rating section of this review and I'm being asked about safety. I almost forgot that my car was wrote off at the end of last year because of some idiot minibus driver. He hit me hard from behind and twisted all the chassis but I hardly felt a thing. I just put a new bumper on and I'm going to run the car into the ground. It should last me ages.

• Luckyfriend published 19/01/2006
    I'am just looking at buying one of these and it would be my 1st deisel aswell. Always had petrol ones before but you have put my mind at rest. THanks bev x
  • leo85 published 14/11/2005
    Have been thinking about switching to a diesel recently and your mpg encourages me to do so! A bit more about equiment levels and driving experience may improve the ratings, but other than that a good review. Leo
  • CareBear published 26/05/2004
    I hope you got the twisted chassis sorted too!