Review of "Ford Escort XR3i"

published 11/10/2007 | ROCKYRICARDO
Member since : 16/07/2005
Pro Cheap to run, cheap parts, easy to identify problems.
Cons Not so much modern safety, Rust easily.
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"THE WAY FORWARD IS BACK IN THE 80s!"

I LOVE EM! ABSOLUTE BARAGIN!

Im on My 3rd XR3I, I just can't get enough of them. All rite im 20 years old and should be sectioned for the way I drive them but they can take it! They love to be hammered in to corners and almost red-lined on straights.

At the moment im driving a 1986 Mk4 on a C plate, It's the basic model with no electrics, but with this kind of car the less the better. For those who don't know, It's a 3 Door Hatchback with a 1.6 8V Engine, I Think being the MFI model it was 105Bhp from the factory, and then theirs an EFI model that is around 110bhp, Mines been played with and has a Big Valve Head bringing it roughly to 130Bhp.

When you think there is basically, the shell of the car, the wheels the engine and your steering wheel so not a lot of weight for a 1600cc engine to pull along so you can imagine there pretty nippy!

When I have been looking to buy an XR3I, I notice they average between £500 and £1000. There around a group 15 insurance, mainly so high on the insurance because there a popular car for thief's "UNLESS" you properly alarm with Cat 1, insurance recognised alarm. I am paying £1200 TPFT, but im, 20, Male, got 3 points for speeding and 4 previous claims from accidents and theft, so £1200 to me is very reasonable.

Im not to sure on the exact 0-60 mph but I think it's around 10 seconds, which for my car being 1986 21 years old that's pretty good going. It did a top end of 120mph when it was standard now it will reach near 135mph! The handling is amazing. No power steering so difficult to drive but they stick to the road like a go-kart!

This review was read 1922 times and was rated at