Ford Fiesta 1.25

Ford Fiesta 1.25

Ford present the Fiesta Style 1.25 3dr Hatchback with 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Ford Fiesta 1.25"

published 17/09/2012 | freeridemtber
Member since : 23/10/2006
Back after a long break from writing. got a couple of reviews to work on...
Pro good looks, nippy at low speeds, durability
Cons average fuel consuption
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"Fiesta zetec is a great little car"

LAST UPDATE....

I eventually had to get rid of my beloved Fiesta! it developed a problem with the air conditioning and suspension that was going to cost over a grand to fix, so i reluctantly had to trade it in. Im sure it was a one off though and probably not a fault with all fiestas! Very sad, but I now drive a little clio... review to follow soon.

UPDATE: I have been driving my Fiesta Zetec for 3 and a half years now and am happy to report that there are still no issues whatsoever. It has been, and continues to be, completely reliable.

I think i might just keep driving it until it needs scrapped, which all being well shouldn't be for a long time yet as it is only 5 and a half years old now and has only done 42k miles. I would buy another one in a heartbeat too.

Fuel consumption... I have found that i get around 37-40 mpg with normal commuting use but that can be as high a 50 on motorways when driving at around 65-70mph.
************************************************************

I had been going to my local Ford garage after hours for a few months checking out the cars on offer and started to really want a Zetec S Fiesta. My old car was a decent wee punto but I really wanted a faster car to get me around in a little more comfort and haste. Eventually after a tax rebate I decided it was time to upgrade so went in and chatted to one of the salesman about my options. He very nearly sold me an S 1600 which I gather is the top of the range Fiesta. This car was lovely but a tad out of my price range. So we discussed some more options and also ruled out the Zetec S. After looking at a few cars and a couple of visits I decided that I liked the basic Zetec model and got a quote for it and it was just about affordable. The one I went for was a 59 plate with only 16000 on the clock and in mint condition inside and out. I got it in silver, but it comes in a range of colours including white, blue and red. I originally wanted it in white though, but I think I am glad I went for silver, as it looks really good when it is clean and waxed.

So, first impressions. I liked this a lot from the moment I laid eyes on it. It is understated style wise, but is a great looking wee car. It doesn’t have the appeal of its superiors in the Fiesta range, but for the money it is a fairly attractive car. I took it out for a test drive and although it only has a fairly small 1242cc engine it is fairly nippy at low speeds. You are, however, unlikely to beat anyone away from lights, but it does get you from A to B fairly comfortably. The suspension irons out a lot of the bumps on the road and it seems to handle well at low speeds. The fastest I took it to on the test drive was 50mph I think, and it performed well at most points during my time in the car. Braking is exceptional and you can always stop on time within reason.

Spec wise this car is reasonably well kitted out. It has 15 inch 5-spoke alloys, front fog lights, ‘Quickclear’ heated front windscreen ( I like this a lot, especially on frosty mornings!), trip computer, Chrome lower front grille surround, boot handle and front light surrounds, 3-spoke leather steering wheel ,electric front windows, electric heated mirrors, leather gear knob and metallic paint. There are also optional extras such as bluetooth and USB connectivity as well as others such as upgraded alloys. But there is no real need for these extras unless you would really need to make use of them. There is already a connection for MP3 players and a CD player/radio, so the car is already set up for many music tasks. The sound quality isn’t brilliant though, so I think I might eventually upgrade to a better sound system.

I have been driving this car for over two months now without any issues at all. It seems completely reliable and well built. I think the previous owner must have been fairly kind to it and I still have some of the manufacturer’s warranty left anyway. The garage sold me 2 years extended warranty at point of sale as well so I am covered if anything goes wrong with it but hopefully there will continue to be no problems.

UPDATE
I have now been driving this car for around 8 months and still no problems other than with the air-con. It switches on automatically but for some reason only when the weather is cold and doesn’t come on when it is hot?! Really annoying! But apparently this is cheap to put right.

The car passed its first MOT today with no problems and no advisory comments. The only negative thing the ford garage said about it was that the brake pads are starting to get low, but on a 3 year old car I guess that is not unusual.

All in all I have been and continue to be more than pleased with my little car, and see no reason why that should change.

• torr published 21/01/2017