The overall rating of a review is different from a simple average of all individual ratings.
Share this review on
** UP-DATED REVIEW **
My first car, which I still cherish, but I am now starting to think about bigger and better things .. only think mind you, this will keep me going for a good number of years yet, if I am not in a position to upgrade.
The car is now 5 years old, and I am in my fourth year of ownership, having bought it for £3,900, from an original retail price of circa £6,500 a year earlier - amazing how quickly cars depreciate in value ... I would never buy brand new for that simple reason. 2 year warranty also remained on the car, but I think I am right in thinking most decent manufacturers provide a 3 year warranty these days.
If you want a reliable, solid, nippy, and efficient car then you can't really go wrong with a Ford Fiesta, in whatever model you are considering. Obviously price will vary by a few grand dependent upon engine capacity, but I know 10-12 Ford Fiesta owners who have all been more than satisfied with the performance their cars provide.
I recall when I was researching the purchase of a car, I spoke to a local garage owner who was trying to sell a Rover of some sort ... after viewing the car, I mentioned that I had pretty much made my mind up to buy a Ford Fiesta, which he advised me strongly against it, as he didn't feel they where built for motorway driving, and more so for shopping, as little run arounds. I felt he was trying to steer (no pun inteneded! Well, maybe a little one) me towards the purchase of the Rover, so ignored the advice and bought a Fiesta, which I have not regretted. It has not posed any problems in terms of performance or technical failures - except for bad driving on my part - and has been incredibly reliable during winter months when some cars engines refuse to combust. I have travelled approx. 50,000 miles in 4 years and it has been more than reliable.
* APPEARANCE - I suppose everybody will have their own individual thoughts and opinions on apperance, but I don't think it's an ugly car and is more to my personal taste in terms of it is well rounded (ahem!) and not square appearance, which I do find ugly in a car.
Ford Fiesta's come in a range of different colours, with the option of metallic paint work as well - usually at an additonal cost. The interior is usually cream or grey.
They are also a small to mid-sized car, which means they can fit into pretty much most spaces with ease. So, car parking is an absolute doddle, especially as your gunning position, sorry ... driving position is at a fairly decent height and not too low to the floor, like in most racing cars.
* PARTS - Generally not too expensive and you can shop around, without always having to rely on a Ford Dealership, who are more than likely going to charge the most. I was fleeced for over £500 when I last had it serviced by Ford, which I just agreed to at the time because they called me at work to inform me of the repair work required, and it was a very stressful day, so I just said go-ahead. Ooppss ... Replacing items such as wiper blades is cheap and very easy to do yourself, but does tend to be a good profit generator for the garage if you allow them to do it!
In fact, my experience of dealerships is not very good, nor is my family's, in regards to this particular Motor company, so I tend to have Service work and M.O.T.s carried out by independent garages or AA autocentres, but that is just my personal preference due to personal experience. However, that's not to say that other people do not have a good experience with Ford. However, and apologies to any mechanics, but garages have generally got you by the short and curly's anyway, because they are aware most people haven't a scooby doo when it coms to their motor vehicles. They can just tell when they are talking to you, and you have that blank look on your face, plus I am sure they throw weird and wonderful phrases in just to doubley make sure you don;t have a scooby, maybe something like ... ".. your sky light needs fixing" or "your shopping storage box requires replacing". My Dad has paid out over £6k in the last couple of years and trying to get his Ford transit van repaired, and every time it comes back something else is wrong with it or the work that should have been carried out has not been done. Problem is, it's very difficlut to prove and take them to ask over it. My advice, always have a mate who is a mechanic and pay him a little more than you would pay a garage, it will be cheaper in the long-run!!
* FEATURES - There are not really many to shout about, as this particular model, to my annoyance, doesn't have eletric windows or automatic locking, so everything is quite old fashioned in that sense. No air conditioning, no rev counter (that surprised me actually) .. but it does come complete with steering wheel, accelerator, clutch, foot brake, hand brake, speed indicator, fuel gauge, cold & hot air controls, glove box (handy for storing CD's and insurance documentation! Possibly a small revolver if you are Amercian and purchasing for usage within the USA), seat belts for all, gear stick - complete with 5 forward gears plus reverse, and that's about it! Oh yes, and both driver and passeneger airbags (front passengers only though! If your accident prone, best you don't risk taking any back seat passenegers.... !!) ... But, enough of the joking, I like the car and it suited me as a first time, none posy buyer of a motorised vehicle for transportation purposes.
* PERFORMANCE - As I have stated above, I have found the vehicle to perform very well during it's 5 year life span. It is certainly efficient to run and maintain, with a full tank running out around 280-285 miles and costing around £0.12p per mile. Oil and water tend to hold at the right levels for what should be a decenet prolonged period of time, and I have never had a need to peform a complete oil change myself outside of a service.
The car handles well at 80-90 MPH and will, at a push do 115 MPH, but obviously not on domestic UK roads ... you need to go to a race track or a German autobahn to be doing those kind of speeds (!) ... and, in all honesty, if you get to that speed on a German autobahn, you are still going to get embarrassed by some efficient looking German businessman called Heinz, as he effortlessly whizzes by you in his BMW or Audi, whilst your busy trying to shake every last little effort out of the Fiesta, as it shakes and judders to give you that last extra 1 MPH more that you think you need to break the World Land Speed Record (for a Ford Fiesta of course!).
* BRAKES - Very solid foot pedal with good reactions, which gives some re-assurance as this car does not benefit from ABS assisted braking. Although, in all honesty, my mate who has a Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.6, has experienced two accidents (both his fault I may add!), due to what he said was ABS assisted braking, so maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be?! Or maybe he's just a crap driver who doesn't pay attention to the road and needed to blame it on something else?! However, I have had to get the brakes re-adjusted and replaced on a few occasions, and have not been as completely happy with the performance as in the first couple of years. They have just been done again and I am fairly pleased with their performance.
* STEERING - Power steering, which all vehicles should have, particulalrly Commercial vehicles. The unfortunate thing though is that I have had to have the tracking re-alligned on circa 8 occasions since ownership ... pretty much twice a year. I don't know whether this is a problem specifically with the Ford Fiesta or just a hazard of having so many speed bumps and high curbs near to me home.
* IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT - Besides the driver (a.k.a Me) ... hehehe ... the car come with a standard Casette player and Radio, but I up-graded to a Pioneer CD, Radio and MP3 player, which provides me with greater musical flexibility ... I may review this one day.
* ENGINE - Petrol engine (unleaded regular 4 star), which as I have stated elsewhere can run very efficiently if you drive economically that is. The petrol tank is located on the rear left hand side of the vehicle.
* STORAGE SPACE - The boot size is actually larger than you would expect, and has really been helpful to me, as I tend to travel away from home for days at a time and thus need plenty of space for all my luggage. I do tend to carry quite a lot of clothing because I am like a girl and never know for definite what I am going to work ... I like a selection of different outfits (abuse coming my way from the blokes reading this no doubt!!)
All round, a good, solid, reliable car, particualrly for those on a budget and looking for something fairly cost effective. It is also more reasonably priced than other motor cars to insure.
Good op Alan, can't stand boxy, angular cars either. The old shape Volvo was just all wrong in my opinion. xx
Amazingwoo 20.04.2006 17:51
I'm the reverse - I was wanting to buy a Fiesta but ended up buying a Rover. Test drove the "just passed it's MOT luv" Fiesta and found it had hardly any brakes. The most buttock-clenching, white-knuckle test-drive I've ever experienced.
beatlesgal25 15.04.2006 14:38
I learnt to drive in a Fiesta Flame, it was a lovely car! Great review! Em x
AK STREET Coilover from FK: are the entry level coilovers and are distinguished by their ... more
excellent workmanship and ride quality. The suspension system has already has tens of thousands of fans and is successfully in use worldwide. The Quality of the AK STREET: The coilovers are galvanized for protection against corrosion. The springs are produced from high quality chrome silicon steel and are then plastic coated. Due to the high quality workmanship and the use of quality materials you have of riding comfort with this suspension. LOW Installation COSTS: The installation time takes about 2-3 hours in a workshop. We then recommend an appropriate electronic wheel alignment to be carried out. We always recommend installing at a specialist workshop. The quality: FK is one of the oldest and well known providers for coilovers in Germany. FK coilover systems such as High Sport, Silverline, Koni sport and Silverline X are produced directly at Backnang. Thesesuspensions are already proven in hundreds of thousands of cars and in use worldwide. The price: The coilovers AK-Street is an abbreviation of (Aktionsfahrwerk) action sports suspension for the road and greatly appreciated by customers worldwide. More design details: Suitable for vehicle Year XXXX-XXXX FK Coilover Top quality at the best price 30% fixed rate damping Springs are Powder coated to prevent corrosion AK Streetentry level coilover Galvanized steel Used for the hook spanner Drops from 30mm-75mm TÜV certificate included by email Included: This Kit Contains Two Height Adjustable Coilovers For The Front And Two Uprated & Shortened Sports Dampers For The Rear With Two Lowering Springs With Height Adjustable Mounting Platforms. The Springs And Rear Dampers Are Powder Coated Yellow And The Coilover Bodies And Platforms Are Zinc Coated For Durability And Corrosion Resistance. The Kit Also Contains The Adjustment Spanners For Quick Easy Ride Height Changes.
Tail Lights: change the appearance of yourcar The reflectors have a greater optical effect ... more
of light and at an extremely reasonable price. Give your vehicle a sporty look by day and by night. The tail lights are more than a clear signal for a sporty car. NO COST FREE REGISTRATION: This taillight is set if not specified otherwise, with e mark and is therefore free of registration. There is no charge for a paid entry in the vehicle documents. LOW installation COSTS:The tail lights can be installed from any dealer within about 1 hour without problems. Installation Instructions: The rear lights are supplied complete with wiring harness (where needed) and an English" installation guide. The quality: The rear lights can to be compared to the OEM and are produced by major manufacturers. The Price: As a rule, these tail lights are cheaper than the original tail lights. It is always worth a price check, even if only in the event of an accident and the tail lamp is broken. Taillight technology: The tail lights are not only technically but also visually better and are installed successfully throughout the world more than 100,000 times. You want to give your vehicle a sporty look? Then you should order now this amazing Taillight. Design details: Taillights in original look Improved light levels compared to incandescent taillights with newer technology Connection is via vehicle-specific connector Bulb are not included Fully E-Marked and Road Legal Easy installation as the original tail light mounting points are used. Long service life thanks to the use of high quality material. Included: 1 taillight set consisting of a right and left Rear Light"
Design sports grill in ABS chrome: these high quality sports grills are made of the ... more
highest quality injection molded ABS and give your car a great look for a low cost. Top quality, good fit connected with the look gives your vehicle an absolute great new look.. NO COST FREE REGISTRATION: The sports grills are registration free. LOW Installation COSTS: The ABS Sport Grill can easily be installed by any authorized workshop within approximately 0.5 hours. Installation Instructions: An installation manual is not needed since the sports grill is attached to the standard mounting of the original grills The quality: The sports grills are produced in a very high quality, almost OEM quality The price performance ratio is very good. The price: The price is extremely good and upgrading of sports grills is simple and easy to make. The sports grill production processes: These sports grills are produced in specially-built ABS plastic injection molds in series production to OEM quality. The sports grills are a million times already proven. please note that there are tolerances on the vehicles. Therefore, it may be possible that using a file on the fixing points of the sport grille must be minimally changed! But this is more of an individual case. You want to give your vehicle a sporty look? Then you should order now this great sport grill. More design details: Sport Grill made ??of ABS plastic by injection molding The Sports Grill is fully chrome plated Connection is via vehicle-specific mounting points Long life due to the use of high quality material and chrome plating Included: 1 sports grill in chrome finish