Review of "Ford Fiesta Courier"

published 23/05/2002 | sharkli
Member since : 25/02/2001
I play guitar and drums
Pro economical, roomy
Cons sluggish going up steep hills
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"You forget you're driving a van"

I'm on my second Courier now. My first was a white L-reg 1.8 Diesel which I bought second-hand in 1997 and drove for 3 years. My current Courier is a 1.8 Diesel which I bought brand new in September 2000. Its main improvements over the earlier model are a more comfortable cabin, power steering and a light in the load area. It's so nice to drive it's easy to forget you're in a van. My 86 year old aunt says she prefers riding in my Courier to my cousin's Audi! It's great for bombing up and down the motorway. The only time you really notice it's a van is when going up a steep hill (e.g. Birdlip Hill in Gloucestershire), when it reverts to type and performs a creditable impression of a slug.

I wanted a van because I play the drums in a brass band and an orchestra. The Courier is ideal for transporting the stuff around to and from concerts. I can get two pedal timpani, a bass drum, a hand timp, a pit xylophone, sundry stands, gongs, snare drums, tomtoms etc. in the back with ease.
It's also great for transporting pushbikes, wheelchairs, large dogs etc. around and helping your mates move house.

In early 2001, after it had only done about 8000 miles, it got swamped in the Severn Bore and the water wrecked the diesel engine. My local Ford dealer was really helpful and a nice new engine was soon fitted. Other than that freak accident, I've had no mechanical trouble whatsoever. I've acquired several dents, but they're my fault.

It'd be handy to have electrically operated windows and a light in the load compartment that comes on automatically when I open the back door. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with my choice of vehicle.

I might take a look at the turbo diesel next time.

• diamond_1986 published 26/03/2005
    mines an m reg and we use it for lugging disco gear around , but mine does have a light in load compt sim to the one on front doors
  • Connoisseur_Haggler1 published 23/05/2002
    Helga, This van must be fun, if your 86-year old aunt enjoys it to an Audi! Its been most interesting to read your opinion on ownership of 2 courier vans..they sure do sound very useful and practical for transporting goods. [Just a small tip, you may find you will get better ratings if you : add a little more detail regards to your experience of the diesel van, is it noisy? How much mileage do you get over it’s petrol version? What is it like to drive? And maybe some idea of passenger seats and comfort? Also you may like to add the price at which you bought this van brand new? Remember as much specific info. that will help a consumer make a better informed decision and establish what its like from your ownership experience. Enjoy!! -CH (I’m sure you will! BTW, sorry to hear about your dents – someone dented my car last week, I have to get it sorted, I’m trying to find a cheap dent repairer-official dealers are too expensive!)