Ford Focus 2.0

Ford Focus 2.0

Ford present the Focus Zetec 2.0 3dr Hatchback with 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Ford Focus 2.0"

published 09/12/2002 | NJFortune
Member since : 16/07/2002
Pro Spacious, Powerful, Power Steering, Sleek Bodywork,
Cons Can be costly to buy depending on model & Extras, Insurance too high for young drivers like myself :-(
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"The Perfect Estate Car"

Since my father was given a Ford Focus 2.0L Ghia I must say I really enjoyed driving it when I was on the insurance, just for the sheer power and ability to accelerate at traffic lights. The car belonged to an electrical company(they paid my insurance for the car) but when my father retired he was offered the car and sadly for me, my insurance was far too expensive for the car :-(.

The car itself has Air Conditioning which does a good job of keeping you cool on those hot days. Internally the car has plenty legroom and because it is an estate it also has a large storage area within the boot iself.

Also located inside the car is the rather handy steering wheel controls for the Radio which saves you having to look away from the road when driving. I think the Radio in the Focus is good but it doesnt really vary much from previous models of Fords we have had, although the radio has a removable keypad which deters people stealing them. While on the subject of the steering wheel there is also a button that you can press and it will give you the approximate miles of fuel you have left, how many miles you get to the gallon, your average MPH and the temperature. If the temperature drops below 4 degrees C the car will come up with a snowflake warning(shown by a light on the dash) and this will turn off once the temperature outside rises. Also another handy feature is a warning buzzer that alerts you when you only have 50 miles worth of fuel left.

Outside the car our one has got Alloy wheels and Ford has designed a kind of key which is for security. You will be given one when you purchase the car, this prevents other people removing the wheels of the vehicle without your consent.

Another feature I forgot to mention was to open the bonnet to access the engine there is a key required, the keyhole itself is hidden behind the Ford badge which swivels around to reveal the slot.

The Acceleration in the car is very good, as I have said we have a 2.0 ghia(Unleaded) and its easy to get up speed in and you can easily cruise up hills. The noise factor doesnt come into the car really as I find it quite quiet.

I must admit we havent had any problems with any of the Fords we have had and that includes the Ford Sierra, Mondeo and Focus so I think it says that Ford's are quite reliable vehicles.

As for the safety the car has got ABS as standard and it also has passenger and driver airbag. Having never been involved in an accident(thankfully) I am pretty sure that the Focus would be able to withstand quite an impact. The focus also comes with Traction control to help you when you are pulling off from traffic lights for example, this means the car is more unlikely to wheel spin although you can disable this feature and re-enable the car if you wish.

The car seems to handle quite well whether its wet or dry, I cant say I have any complaints with under steer or over steer in any condition so I am satisfied with its performance.

Overall I would recommend this car to anybody, should anybody be interested if you goto www.ford.co.uk they will inform you of the prices, they also have a feature called "Build Your Own" which allows you to customise your own car(this allows all ford vehicles excluding vans)

As previously mentioned the car has a security key for the alloy wheels but because this car also has central locking you are able to deadlock the car aswell once you have locked the vehicle preventing/deterring thieves.

The new Ford Focus has little difference in the body style from the older style, as far as I can tell the only difference is mainly in the indicators now being located on the inside of the lights closer to the grill on the engine.

Having visited the Ford Website you can actually save money by buying online. The price of a Ford Focus 5dr 2.0l ghia is approximately £15,795.00 on the Road Price although should you wish to buy online they are giving you a quote of only £14,495.00 so as you can see it can cost you less if you shop around!.

The fuel consumption of the car varies obviously with the varying speeds that you will do in your journey. Sorry I cannot be accurate with reports on this due to the fact I did little driving and I never had the opportunity to refuel the car during my short stint behind its wheel.

Given the chance I think we probably would purchase another Focus(if the model is continued at the time) as it is a great car and its from a manufacturer we trust.

• angeelu published 09/12/2002
    Nicely detailed opinion... I'm not much of a fan of Ford's myself.