Ford Ka 1.3i

Ford Ka 1.3i

Ford present the Ka 1.3i 8v Collection 3dr Hatchback with 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Ford Ka 1.3i "

published 18/07/2008 | shamis4
Member since : 16/06/2008
Hi I like to write about all stuff to do with computer games and gadgets, and a few other bits! Thanks for all r/r/c!
Pro Cheap, reliable and very environmentally friendly car
Cons Quite small
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"A great little runner!"

Okay so i passed my driving test a few months ago now and have been looking everywhere for a car, my first car. I looked in the local papers, went and visited garages and also went on the internet and used sites such as auto trader. I knew i wanted something small and easy to run, as well as being cheap for my first car. I was at first looking more towards a Vauxhall Corsa and had seen several i liked. However, one day a friend of my mum, who is a mechanic, called and told us he'd found a car - it was a Ford Ka! Now a t first i wasn't to keen on the idea of getting a Ka as many of my friends, and myself included, viewed them as more of a feminine car and i wanted something closer to a boy racer type car. But i was easily persuaded by my mum, particularly as it was rather cheap. However, i know have my Ka and have to admit that it is a great car and it was by far the best car i could ever have as my first car!

So the version i own is the Ford Ka Luxury, which is no longer in production. It is 52 registered and was only £2500, compared to similar Ka luxury cars on the market for nearing £4000. Althoug I only had to contribute half of the money with my parents paying the rest.

Basic Description of my Ka Luxury:

Well, my Ka is a nice(?) red/burgundy colour, which after a while looks relatively nice - doesn't make you stand out like a sore thumb as some of those red cars seem to do! It has 3 doors and a good sized boot. Inside it has nice black leather seats and a substantial amount of room in the back. It also comes with some nice features such as air conditioning, electric windows, power steering and electric locking system.
It has a 1.3 litre engine which is perfect size for myself for several reasons. It keeps costs down as it is much more fuel efficient, which is of great importance due to the current petrol situation with prices rising almost everyday it seems. My car costs about £35 to fill completely with petrol. The small engine also means that my insurance costs are much lower. This is of great benefit as i am currently a 17 year old male - therefore they charge an absolute fortune for insurance - it seems a bit unfair, but then I have to get round these costs and reduce them as best i can!
It is also in a very low tax band and my tax for the year is very small which is another benefit of this great little car.

This car is economically viable and the perfect car for our current economic climate. It is very small and extremely cheap to run and would therefore be perfectly suited to running around town and popping off to the shops, or going to school to pick the kids up. It is of course very much suited also to new drivers looking for a first car, as i am an example of this myself. It of course is very easy to get to grips with and small making the world of parking a hell of a lot easier. Just remember if you are looking at buying a new car don't veer away fro the Ka just because other people tell you it's no good or it may look silly - because i can tell you it will be much better than the average small car on the market and with great help and service from the large Ford.
It is also comfortable for those longer journeys with leather seats and air con if it is really hot. It even has a cd player so no more of being forced to listen whatever the radio station forces upon you!

What is it like to drive:

Of course, this is one of the most important bits of a car - how easy is it to drive? Well from only having this for a short amount of time, but making full use of it I have come to the verdict that it is extremely comfortable and reliable. It is very easy to drive and the gearstick is very easy to get used to and moves very nicely going exactly where you want it to go. I find the car is also relatively quiet and this of adds a nice feeling when you are driving along and don't have that constant rumbling and whirring of the engine. It holds the road well and is also very nippy if you need to make those quick escapes.
Overall it is very comfortable to be in and you really feel quite privileged to have such a good car.

Conclusion:

It would seriously recommend anyone who is considering buying a new car to look at one of these, whether you are a first time buyer, or a very experienced driver its still the best choice to make. It is a very cheap to buy and to run car which is important in today's society where you will being saving yourself a fair bit of money on driving due to the cheapness of this car, but you will be much more "green" and friendly to the earth as you will use far less petrol. This car is very environmentally friendly

Price: These cars a reno longer produced new and so it would be worth having a really good look a round before you buy. Che ck out local garages, papers and sites such as Autotrader where you may be able to get some really good deals.
I would suggest not spending more than £3000 to £4000.

Thanks for reading and hope this helps anyone looking at buying a new car!

• lozzy_lou178 published 24/08/2008
    I've been looking at these aswell as Corsa's for my first car too.
  • majeedkazi published 18/07/2008