Ford Mondeo 1.8

Ford Mondeo 1.8

Ford present the Mondeo 1.8i LX 5dr Hatchback with 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Ford Mondeo 1.8"

published 04/08/2001 | multivariate
Member since : 01/01/2001
Pro Reliable, durable, nice to drive, easy to own
Cons Depreciation
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Old Faithfull"

I have had my Mondeo Verona for 5 year now and have overall been very pleased. I bought her new in August 96 just before the Mk2 facelift came about. Local council decided to resurface the roads just after I took delivery and the stone chippings got both headlights (best part of £100 a shot to replace). That Passat advert about the lenses being made of a different material made me think for a while, but the VW is not as nice to drive.
Because I do a high mileage I very nearly went for a diesel version, but I took one for a test drive and could not get on with it. It might be more economical and durable but the engine was horrid. The throttle is more like an on off switch. Nothing much happened below 2,000 revs, and then it starts to wake up. At 2,500 is starts to feel alive, and by 3,000 it pulls like a train all the way to 4,000 when it hits a brick wall (I think it is governed in the lower gears). Well it is quite difficult to always keep the revs between 3 and 4 thousand revs, and it makes a horrible noise. By the time I factored in the extra cost of servicing (6000 miles rather than 10000 at the time) it would save me less than 1p per mile. I hear the new Mondeo diesel is a lot nicer and if I go for another will think about it.
Well apart from those headlights what else has been replaced. Both front springs (£60 a time), exhaust (£100 but if the cat was needed would have been more) and 5 new tyres (£70 a go). And that is it, total replacements in 130,000 miles. None of the normal wear items, break pads, clutch, shock absorbers etc, its not even needed a new battery. I think they make cars better nowadays.
Fuel consumption is not bad either, quite consistent between 35 and 38 miles to the gallon.
And it really is quite nice to drive, it goes round corners well. The engine is refined if kept between 2 and 4 thousand revs. The space for rear passengers isn’t quite as good as the old Sierra, but apart from that it seams like a big improvement.
So would I have another? Well this is already the second and sometimes you just want a change. However my main bugbear is depreciation. It is savage, I did think about trading it in after a year but the figures did not stack up (£5k cost to change). Over a 5 year period its not been so bad, but that just cos it cant go much lower. Residual know is probably around £2k, so that £2k per year. But if I keep it for another year the most I will lose with be £1k. I suppose the question is whether the bills are going to start coming in.
Overall I think it is a brilliant second-hand car, buy it after someone has already taken the hit for the first year. The car supermarkets have them on an X plate for around £8k, which can’t be bad.

• stuartackers published 07/04/2006
    Buce revuew - but leave line breaks
  • Connoisseur_Haggler1 published 04/08/2001
    just thought I'd mention you may find people find it easier to read if you leave spaces -or else they dont read the info, as its hard for them to see it'd be a shame if tehy missed it as there is good content here!
  • Connoisseur_Haggler1 published 04/08/2001
    It's always a pleasure to read car reviews from owners who 've had them for a long time as its aids to our understanding of reliability! Ford Mondeo's have always had quite chirpy engines! I dont own a mondeo myself but have owned 2 alfa's and am smitten! Enjoyed reading your opinion a lot of useful and practical information there! (BTW good to see you back on Ciao!-CH)