Review of "Ford Puma 1.7"

published 19/10/2001 | whitbybunny
Member since : 09/07/2001
Pro Nippy, still attractrive, reasonaly priced and a Tigra beater (still)
Cons Iffy front seat, dodgy tape decks, prone to faulty rear wipers
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Ggggrrrr - The cat still turns me on"

Just over four years ago I was fed up with my friends having the best cars etc etc, and jealousy took over.

You see they were all older than me but I wanted to be the blonde in the convertible so I considered buying a Renault Megane (Umm). I couldn’t afford the £20k they wanted and didn’t want to go for the cheaper version so I shopped around.

Well I test drove a green Ford Puma 1.7 and never looked back, I was in love. At the time the car had only been out a few months and there was a waiting list, but this didn’t bother me – more pose appeal! There were hardly any on the road and it's then unusual looks attracted many an eye.

I say all this now quite tongue in cheek because yes my new car brought me lots of attention but it has also won a place in my heart and I love it to pieces, so much so that I don’t want to change it.

Why? Well read on…..

Aged 23 I was fed up of driving the safe bet – A Sierra Sapphire and previously a Ford Cortina. OK they had got me to many a rave and had plenty of stories to tell but they were oh so average. I wanted something different, something that said I was not a girl but a woman. Something I could drive to Brands for the BTCC with my head held high! And so I went to my local Ford dealer (ok Perry’s but don’t laugh yet).

I don’t understand the stats so well but for those that do:

Price £15330 – Ford Puma, Moondust Silver Metallic Paint, Air Con, ABS, Airbag, Electric Mirrors, Quick clear windscreen, Mats, Perry’s Gold Card, Alloy wheels with Locking Wheel Nuts and Superguard (a lacquer to help me clean it more easily) Alarm and Immobiliser as standard, remote central locking

Engine 1679cc dohc 16V Zetec SE Engine with VCT

Power 125bhp Torque 116lb ft

Front suspension – MacPherson Struts, coil springs, lower wishbones, anti roll bar

Brakes – Ventilated discs/drums

Tyres – 195/50 R15

0-60mph 9.0sec, Top speed 126mph

The car suits me and Paul fine and we love driving around to racing events in it. Unfortunately there is not too much space in the back for more than two people at the very most. The thing is – it’s not really a back seat driver’s car. The controls are all positioned for the driver and front passenger. The aluminium gear knob, the leather steering wheel, white dials etc are all there for us to look at.

Puma is available in the following colours:
Radiant Red
Melina Blue
Cuirass (Grey/Silver)
Panther Black
Jewel Green
Moondust Silver

The interior trim is Alchemy Blue with a fabric trim.

At the time I was unable to get a discount for cash as there were only limited numbers available and I did have to wait three months for it to be shipped over – but this only added to my excitement.

There are some negatives though, I have already been affected by a ‘latent defect?’ which causes an oil leak. Also I decided after having three separate tape decks in the car to change to a CD player as the tape drive kept slowing down. Also as it was only the third Uk issue to the country there were a few tiny things that could be improved upon – but even so I still love it. Later models have a break light in the back wing and sportier models have also come out.

At insurance group 12, depending on who you speak to, this car costs me between £500 - £600 per year to insure. This is with maximum no claims and includes business use and the ability to drive any other car with the owners permission. Pretty good I think. I also had a Tracker fitted free by the AA due to the high insurance premium for the first year – which can’t be frowned upon.

Upon delivery of the car I was given an owners checklist that ensured that all the mod cons were explained to me.

Ford have kept in touch with me regularly concerning my car and I am very pleased with the service provided. Each quarter receive a silver package containing the latest puma news – this also points me to a yahoo newsgroup especially for Puma owners, this was particularly useful when the oil bug hit me.

If I were to sell my car privately now I’d probably get £8K for it – but I don’t want to. It still feels and drives brilliantly and I couldn’t imagine parting with it.

The Puma booklet at the time said: “Puma looks, sounds and feels like a sports coupe should” and I can’t disagree even four years later.

More info at:
www.ford.co.uk
Yahoo groups : pumapeople.

• Goran published 22/12/2004
    Excellent review! I'm after a Puma myself and am trying to find one for a reasonable price. They certainly hold their value! Glad you enjoy your car that much. Hopefully I'll have the same kind of enjoyment out of mine if ever I find one cheap enough. Great op. Goran
  • Keltic1 published 17/02/2004
    As a fellow Puma owner I found this very helpful. I bought my Puma from new 2 years ago - the only time I hear from Ford is when they want to sell me a new car (like you I have no intention of parting with my current Puma - especially as they no longer manufacture them) or they are advising me that a service is due. 'Puma news' sounds great. I will definately be checking out the Puma owners site. - Many Thanks for a great review
  • MRSCANADA published 09/03/2002