Review of "Ford Streetka 1.6i V8 Duratec"

published 13/11/2006 | RoseannaFloyd
Member since : 12/01/2006
Pro looks good, fast, different, convertible
Cons interior, in practical
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"I miss you my Streetka! (Or do I?)"

Yes I had the Ford Streetka. When I was younger I always wanted a Ford Ka. Then when I started driving I realised how rubbish they are and went off the idea. Then I bought a Mazda MX5, nice little sporty convertible car. I got bored of this in 3 months. The Ford Streetka had just come out and I HAD to have one!
I went to Birchwood Ford (really, dont even bother) and ordered a brand new Ford Streetka. I wanted it in grey with an MP3 player, which I wasn't allowed (another story) but I hear that you can get these in them.
My Ford Streetka was the metallic dark blue colour, the Luxury model - which means that it had chrome on bits like the foot pedals and gear stick, with a 5 disk cd changer which you put cd's in the front of - 1.6.
I have to say, my Mazda was a 1.8petrol but this Streetka, being a 1.6, was nearly as quick as it. I loved the speed of it, cruising down the motorway at 120 mph - though this seemed like the maximum speed you could get out of it.
The size of the Streetka is surprisingly roomy for a 2 seater convertible. You could stretch your legs out in it and move your arms around without hitting the roof or windscreen. The boot was also large for the cars size.
A big let down of this car is the interior. For a £13000 car you would expect the interior not to be so plasticky. The glovebox was a joke. It was a small plastic compartment that you had to press down for it to open in a clamshell manner. When people got in my car to have a look they would always try and pull this up without pressing the button, nearly snapping it.
The door scuff plates are another matter. They are made by Pininfarina and are stunning. They are chrome with Pininfarina written in silver on them.
The car is definitely a girls car, any men seen driving one are laughed at (well by me anyway!). The shape of it is just like a bubble and definitely different. Definitely stands out from the crowd!
I had to sell mine as my dog couldn't fit in it. I say that it's small is a disadvantage, but it is big for a 2 seater convertible. The bucket leather seats are also very comfortable and have a heater function on them, which is very good in England!
The convertible was definitely a plus, but the removing and replacing of the roof has to be done manually. It is stored in a compartment behind the seats, which you press a button for it to open so it looks like it disappears - very cool except for the dirt line you get where it has been up! (again, we are in England!) Because the windscreen is curved at the top you dont get much wind when the roof is down and can actually hear the person sitting next to you.
The speakers are very loud and bassy, no need for a sub or anything, and because the stereo is a 5 cd changer there is no need for an mp3 player.
This car is good as a toy, not very practical because of the size. If I had enough money when I had this car I would of bought myself a little run around that I could use for when I wanted to take the dog out to the beach or take items to another place, and used this car for the summer or on long journeys when I wanted to get somewhere quickly.
All in all, an ok car - if you like those kind of things! I have to say I don't miss it. I miss not having a convertible but I dont miss not being able to pick people up or take items to different places!