Fox in Socks: Green Back Book - Dr. Seuss

Fox in Socks: Green Back Book - Dr. Seuss

In this hilarious book, the irrepressible Fox in Socks teaches a baffled Mr. Knox some of the slickest, quickest tongue-twisters in town.

Review of "Fox in Socks: Green Back Book - Dr. Seuss"

published 14/11/2009 | oldchem
Member since : 30/05/2009
Pro : FUN!!!
Cons :A numb tongue
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"a tweetle beetle noodle poodle bottled paddled muddled duddled fu"

FOX IN SOCKS

DR SEUS

Theodor Seuss Geisel was an American writer and cartoonist best known for his children's books written under the pen name Dr. Seuss. He published over 60 children's books, which were often characterized by imaginative characters and rhymes.
These were mainly known in America, but they do seem to have gained popularity in the UK.

I can remember when reading books to my son when he was little, I was always pleased when he picked a Dr Seus book; the words tripped off the tongue so easily - well they did until on a visit to the library, my darling four year old picked up Fox in Socks.

Macho Mum here thought 'NO problem' - if a cat in a hat didn't faze me a fox in socks would be easy meat!!

But what I found was that Fox in Socks is essentially Sam-I-Am with a taste for tongue twisters!!

Dr. Seuss had a devilish streak in him, part of what makes everyone love him so much - in the same way Roald Dahl's wickedness woos children everywhere.

Fox in Socks actually comes with a warning label on the inside cover._"Take it_ slowly. This book is dangerous."
And so it is. It's dangerous to one's tongue, self-esteem, and dourness.
But what is life without risks?

In my arrogance, I thought that I was up to this book. I had taught obnoxious sixteen year olds who didn't want to learn - I could do this.

It started out easy. Fox. Socks. Box. Knox. Fox looks full of mischief and Knox looks content.
Knox and I know what we're doing.

Then all these items start getting in and out and on and with each other.

In march chicks with bricks, blocks, and clocks. Some clocks tick and some clocks tock. Knox begins to be befuddled. When Knox begs Fox to stop these tricks, the fox merely moves to anther part of our tongue.
Along comes Sue and Joe Crow to sew up our lips.

Knox is getting sadder as the book goes on. He objects to the game, telling Fox
"I hate this game, sir. This game makes my tongue quite lame, sir."
Fox thinks, and tries a new tack.

As the tongue twisters get tougher, the Fox pours it on thicker.

No longer is he sympathetic to Knox's stiff tongue. He's harassing and enjoying every minute of it. As we hapless readers rush to keep up, the very lines trip us up as they encourage us to go ever faster while throwing more and more hurdles in our way.

Finally, Knox gets his revenge, shoving Fox into a bottle and shaking it up with such a tongue twister that both Fox and the reader is left panting. And Seuss is laughing (yes, even from beyond the grave).

The inside back cover has a sign asking,
"Now is your tongue numb?"

Dr. Seuss books are pretty much non-sensical, but their allure comes with how fun they are to read. After your child has read the book enough times to have a good grasp of the words, it is a challenge to see how fast the book can be read without tripping over one's tongue. My son and I used to take turns reading alternate pages and seeing who could go the longest without making a mistake.

Peter Piper may have picked a peck of pickled peppers, but Fox saw "three free fleas" who flew "through three cheese trees" as the "freezy breeze" made them freeze.

Peter Piper was just a picker, he was a mere amateur!!

Fox in Socks was one of the most popular books of the 20th century and is still popular today.

Since 1965, generations of children have been spraying spittle as they try to get their mouths around these alliterative rhymes.

These tongue twisters for kids take them back to the not-so-long-ago time when words were still hard to form, and that's just fun. It can be fun for adults too, and your kids will love seeing you struggle with the same words they do.
So give your kids a tongue twister text with Fox in Socks ...in honour of Mr. Knox.

And if you wonder what I'm twittering on about - just go and get a copy of the book- you'll see!!!

I honestly think that every child should experience reading Fox in Socks while growing up. Join the Fox in Socks as he leads Mr. Knox on a zany adventure of learning and silly rhymes. Combine it with other fun Seuss books and your kids will sit enthralled as you turn the pages.

Summary: I think maybe the obnoxious 16 year olds were easier!!

• catsholiday published 15/11/2009
    I've tried to edit reviews with no luck either - PLEASE ciao go back to the old system it was better.
  • Nothing-But-The-Truth published 15/11/2009
    great stuff
  • stillclueless published 15/11/2009
    Very well reviewed - these technical problems with Ciao are really grating on my nerves - Catherine x :)