Review of "FreeUK"

Member since : 16/08/2000
Satisfactory
Pro full newsgroup access
Cons per minute calls

"freedom of thought and mind"

I have used various ISP's and FreeUK is one of the smaller unheard of companies. Compared to Freeserve I tend to connect to FreeUK better with better first time connection. Also FreeUK’s mail account connects a lot quicker and has in general less timeouts. However Freeserve does offer good deals with BT on off-peak and peak connections. The one big advantage of FreeUK is uncensored news groups access, which will allow YOU to decide what you want or not want to look at. Freeserve and other mainstream free ISPs’ impose censorship, which I am totally opposed to. Nildram offers this service at extra cost on their dial-up connection but why pay for something that should be free of charge. FreeUKs’ portal may not be something great to look at but the whole point of the World Wide Web is that you can look at everything else and not restricted to the ISP’s own web portal.

FreeUK is the best if you have to pay per minute calls for an allegedly free ISP.

UPDATE 21st MARCH 2001

After installing a new v90 modem it seems I cannot connect at above 32,000 bps to freeuk. Figuring it might be the modem settings/driver at fault I then decided to read a little more on the freeuk web site FAQ. Apparently I was dialling to the wrong phone number, on rectifying this I tried to connect again but still the speeds was not above 32,000 bps. So I connected to my uk2.net free dialup account and I connected at around 51,000 bps first time.

I have been having signing in problems as well to eBay on freeuk, this does not seem to be a problem with the new dialup or from work so I assume its either a weird IE setting problem or its through freeuk.

Overall due to these new circumstances I am going to have to drop my rating.