Review of "Freederm Acne Treatment"

published 03/02/2008 | Elle08
Member since : 31/01/2008
Pro Can clear up spots in days, doesn't dry the skin out like some similar products.
Cons Could have a bad reaction, loses it's potency, quite expensive for the amount you recieve.
Does it dehydrate your skin?

"Freederm yourself from blemishes...for a while."

Heading into my late teens I began to notice the terrible acne I had in my younger years gradually start to improve which was an immense relief - the only problem left however, was the kind of random, giant spot that turns up overnight anywhere on your face and then asks it's friends to join it the following day!

I could never find a way to battle these kinds of spots which would inevitably leave marks behind, and after trying nearly every "on the spot" product on the market and on the brink of giving up, Freederm appeared on the scene like music to my ears!

No more applying lotions that would dry a spot into a giant scab you would need to cook up a miracle to hide, this product promised a "new approach to acne treatment" so on a particularly bad day my mum went out to buy some on my behalf and back she came 20 minutes later with my purse £8.95 lighter - but hey, if it works money is no object(-ish)!

Description:
A standard 25g squeezable white tube. Contains a gel that is fragrance-free, you can smell a whiff of alcohol (ethanol) in it but it's not at all unpleasant. Claims:
  • New approach to acne treatment
  • Clinically active vitamin B complex
  • Effectively reduces inflammation
  • Clinically proven

To use: Twice daily cleanse the affected area and surrounding skin thoroughly with soap and warm water. Gently dry and apply a thin film of Freederm to cover this area.My Experience:
I honestly believe that much of the effectiveness of this product relies on how it is applied, as in the beginning I was so used to other similar products that I simply "dotted" it on the spot, found it had no effect and abandoned it. Sometime later I gave it another try, this time following the directions to the letter and began applying a thin layer on the area the spots were located. In the following days I discovered it had near miraculous results, shrinking spots to nothing sometimes overnight!

Freederm doesn't sting, and dries in about 10 minutes on average - so you might have to lie on your back for a short while and catch some T.V! The after-effects are minimal, I didn't notice any significant redness although you normally see a small "patch" (for want of a better word!) which looks a bit shiny, which I expect is due to the product doing it's work, but it's not noticeable in any way.

After a about a week, I thought it was so good I began using it frequently, even on spots I wouldn't usually bother with, although I did notice over time it began working less successfully.

Then came the tragedy...that summer was scorching hot and one day after using it I spent a whole afternoon outside in the sun. I returned home to discover a rash - nothing too severe at first but over the hours it progressed into something absolutely awful. At first I thought it was a coincidence but after visiting a doctor and throwing out most of my other beauty products I found out Freederm had given me photosensitivity. I decided to wait until summer was over to start using it again, but despite a lack of sunshine, the same rash crept up on my face again and again and again - albeit in lesser degrees but sadly too noticeable for me to continue using it.

Conclusion:
A very good product which can work extremely well on some people, but I'd recommend you stay away from Freederm if you have sensitive skin, or at least perform a sensitivity test before-hand - if not spots could be the last of your worries!

Definitely worth trying though.

£8.95 from Boots or Superdrug.

• nicoliyah published 19/02/2010
    Really helpful review. Thanks for that
  • prettypolly40 published 20/09/2009
    I have used this in the past and found it quite good, not immediate results mind but it is good.
  • Bens__mummy published 04/02/2008