Freeview

Review of "Freeview"

published 19/11/2005 | sarah1178
Member since : 15/11/2004
Pro no monthly subscription
Cons using indoor aerial can be a little fiddly
Quality of service
Range of packages
Range of channels

"great set of channels for a one off fee"

No doubt i'm like most of you out there, i read about freeview and saw adverts for freeview but didn't really give it a second thought as i already had telewest installed. I only have the essential package for the Tv which costs around £14.99 but i also have a telephone line and internet with them.

It's been 12 months now so i could finish my contract and i decided that we weren't really watching that many of the channels that were provided so i decided to cancel the tele subscription. I then got talking to a friend who had recently purchased a freeview box and decided to give it a go.

I picked up the box from Argos for £34.99, there are a whole range of set top boxes to choose from and a whole range of prices to go with them but i didn't want to spend loads of money so i went for a box made by Sagem.

The set top box came complete with a scart lead, remote control and an instruction booklet. The box is very slim and smaller than your average dvd player, and the set up couldn't have been simpler. Take the set top box attach the scart lead to the box and then to the tele and then insert your aerial into the set top box. Turn on the tv and then you just automatically search for the channels.

I ended up with about 60 channels and yes some of them you don't want, such as BBC Parliament but simply just delete them once it's all loaded. The great thing is the channels i have are pretty much what i watched anyway - E4, men and motors, UK style etc and i've paid my £35 and now that's it, no more monthly payments -it's done for life!!

The only disadvantage is that if like me you don't have an outdoor aerial and you have to use an indoor aerial then occassionally the picture can flicker or disappear for a second, this is usually during very bad weather or when a plane flies overhead so i would say 95% of the time it works perfect.

• Flash-Hammer published 20/11/2005
    I bought a Freeview box over a year ago, I had to buy an Ariel booster as well so I could view some of the channels in bad weather...It can be a fiddly process to get a good picture some days but a god send as I can't get channel 5 or 4 without it -Flash-
  • VC81 published 19/11/2005
    Good review. Vic
  • tractor-boy published 19/11/2005
    When I tried freeview I couldn`t get a good enough picture, so I switched to Sky instead. S x

Product Information : Freeview