Friend Request (DVD)

Review of "Friend Request (DVD)"

published 02/12/2016 | stacey2911
Member since : 23/10/2013
I'm Back after over a month of not having a laptop
Pro plot, characters.

Price: £10.00
Certificate: 15
Released: 2016
Running Time: 92 minutes

I've been wanting to watch this for so long and tonight I finally had the chance to when my boyfriend came over with the DVD and my son finally slept all night without waking up. Social media is very popular in today's society, many people especially my age tend to check their pages frequently throughout the day uploading status's and photos at every possibility. I think some people share a little too much about their lives.

A quiet girl at the university with 0 friends on Facebook adds Laura and hopes that they can be friends. Laura accepts and actually thinks that Marina is a talented girl and feels quite sorry for her. Laura starts to feel uncomfortable with the amount of messages Marina sends her and the fact that she is going through all her older posts and even invites herself to Laura's birthday party. Laura lies to Marina and tells her that she is only celebrating with her boyfriend. Unfortunately nothing is ever kept a secret when you have social media and all the photos from the evening were uploaded on to Facebook where Marina saw them all. Marina got really upset at school in the cafeteria and they have a fight which revealed that Marina is losing her hair. Marina tries to apologies to Laura but Laura just unfriends her which makes Marinas friends total 0 again. That night Marina Committed suicide. Her body was not found and the police couldn't track any history on Marina Mills. The video of her committing suicide was sent to Laura from Marinas Facebook profile. The following day the video was on Laura's Facebook timeline with all her friends tagged in it. Things start getting really creepy and weird when Laura's friends start getting possessed and committing suicide. Laura's friends number goes down rapidly after suicide videos are posted on her profile. She gets a message saying ' You will know what it's like to be lonely'

This film isn't very scary, there are moments that will make you jump but that's because of the sudden loud noise not because of whats happening. There is quite a bit of repetition used within the film, which I quite like but I'm not sure it would suit everyone. It is a little predictable in places but I still couldn't look away from the screen because I wanted to know how it ended. This film shows how unsafe the internet really is and how you never really know someone so should be careful who you accept as a friend. I think it was a really good idea to use social media in a horror film. The internet is such a dangerous place that I think people forget.

I love the use of animation that is portrayed through the film as Marinas dreams and drawings. The flashbacks of Marinas life in black and white was also really good and how whenever something was related to Marina be it a memory of her Facebook page it was always in black and white I think this showed how much of a dark place Marina was in.

Casting
Brooke Markham as Isabel
Sean Marquette as Gustavo Garcia
Liesl Ahlers as Marina Mills / Marina Nedifar
Shashawnee Hall as Detective Cameron

The casting was really good, I've not heard of any of these actors before so they were all new to me which is a god thing. I had nothing to relate them too. I particularly thought Liesl Ahlers and Alycia Debnam-Carey did a really good job. There were no weak actors in this film they all portrayed their characters to a high standard.

I quite liked this film, It wasn't particularly scary as such but it had a good story line and it kept me hooked. It's been ages since I've watched a film that has kept me glued to the screen, I didn't want to miss a second, my cup of tea went cold, I just couldn't stop watching. I would highly recommend this movie. Friend request is a brilliant film but I wouldn't class it as a horror as such, it's scary in places but it's not something that would keep me up at night. If you have wanted to watch this movie I would say do it. Don't accept a friend request from anyone who has no friends, it could mean trouble.

• olvfrncsc published 24/12/2016
    VH :)
  • IzzyS published 19/12/2016
    Good review. I wouldn't mind this if its not too scary - thrillers are more my 'bag' so to speak.
  • bettyboo47 published 05/12/2016
    great!!

offers "Friend Request (DVD)"