Review of "Friends The Complete Collection (DVD)"

published 27/07/2017 | Candyperfumegirl
Member since : 19/03/2014
Many thanks for all the reads & rates
Pro Funny. Characters. Box set.
Cons A little dated
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Catching up with old Friends"

Friends The Complete Collection (DVD)

Friends The Complete Collection (DVD)

Last year my teenage daughter began watching the US series Friends on Comedy Central and she really got engrossed in the lives of these six 20 something New Yorkers, so much so that she asked for the first few seasons on DVD so that she could watch the show in her bedroom. I discovered that the complete box set was only £50 and decided that this was a good price considering the beautiful presentation box and the amount of content. My daughter received the set from Santa the Christmas just gone, so I thought I would finally get around to reviewing it today.

What does it look like

The box set comes beautifully presented, making it ideal for new fans and collectors. The DVDs come housed in a large square box which is white in colour and has the classic F.r.i.e.n.d.s logo along with various cast photos presented within golden frames (similar to the famous frame on the back of Monica's door in the show). These are real classic Friends pictures, mostly from the early days.The lid lifts off to reveal the DVDs snuggly inside, these can be slotted in and out with ease.

The DVDs themselves are the regular DVD size which was a relief, I have bought DVD box sets in the past and discovered that the cases are those awful supper slim ones. There are 10 DVDs in total, with each DVD covering a season, the season number is clearly displayed on the spine so making your preferred selection quick and fuss free. Each DVD has a full cast photo on the front and a single photo on the back, the photos match well with the seasons - so the first photo features a picture of the cast looking very fresh and young and the latter season shows them a little older.

Opening up the DVD case we are met with four separate DVDS, each showing a separate member of the cast and the episodes numbers. The box set contains a total of 40 discs.

It woulds take me a long time to describe each DVDs menus, but it is still worth mentioning that navigating the DVDs menus is a breeze, the set up is clear and easy to understand. Its all nicely laid out and everything works as it should.

Not only is the packaging really nice but it has been well thought out, allowing the user to easily select the series and episode they require with ease.

The set also comes with a beautifully illustrated booklet, giving information on the cast, crew and episodes.

Friends

With a staggering 80 hours worth of episode content it would take me forever to outline each episode and I do feel doing so may also hinder the enjoyment of those new to the show - it would be difficult not to give any spoilers away. Plus I am sure that many of you would already have watched the show numerous times over the years.

The show basically follows a group of 6 Friends living in New York, it is set during the 90's so feels a little dated in places, but not hugely so. I grew up watching this show as a teenager so it has a nice bit of nostalgia for me, my teenage daughter does not seem to mind the 90's element - but has noted a few things such as their giant mobile phones (which makes me laugh). Some things don't really change though so the viewer is able to identify with the characters regardless of the age of the show, watching them grow as characters as they navigate work, friendships, dating and a whole host of other things that life throws their way.

The main characters are Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Joey, Ross and Chandler, all of these characters remain in the show throughout the 10 seasons and all seem to have a fair amount of story lines distributed amongst them. There are of course plenty of reoccurring characters and lots of celebrity cameos too. For the most part I knew who these celebs were but my daughter did not even know who most of them where which again shows how dated the show can feel. Famous faces include Brad Pitt, Isabella Rossellina, Robin Williams and Tom Selleck.

The acting is good with each actor and their character bringing something new into the mix, there's a little something in there to suit most tastes and personalities. Its a really funny show and the comic timing is spot on, plus there's a nice mix of drama and emotional stuff to keep things moving nicely. I do feel it is worth noting that this show is one that seems to just get better an better as it progresses and my favourite episodes tend to be the later ones, when we have really got to know the characters and at times it almost feels like they are indeed our real friends. The final episode always brings a tear to my eye, the end of an era indeed.
Extras
The DVDs has plenty of extra features, including:
  • Extended unseen footage
  • Fan Friendly Extras
  • 25 Creator commentary
  • 25 behind the scenes feature and profiles
  • Gag reel
  • Video Guest book
  • Trivia quizzes

To be honest I am not usually overly interested in extra DVD content - the commentaries and such do not really interest either me or my daughter. However, some of the content here is worth a look, It was great to watch some friends content I had not seen before and I especially enjoyed the behind the scene content watching the actors in 'real life' and also the Gag reel (or bloopers, as I would call them!) My daughter and I had a few goes of the trivia quizzes, which was really fun - I actually knew an awful lot as well which surprised me.
Age Recommendation
This has been classified as a 12, which I feel may be erring on the side of caution. There is no violence here but we have the occasional light swear word and a small amount of sexual content - but for me nothing all that shocking. Its all in context really and personally I have no problems with my 8 year old daughter watching the show. However, that being said - I would certainly say it would be more enjoyed by teenagers and those in their 20's and 30's.

Theres no High Definition or Digital remastering here and again the age of the show is visable. The screen quality isn't always brilliant especially the earlier episides when the technology was lacking and before the show began making some real money. It can be grainy in places but not to the point where the show becomes unwatchable in any way.

Final Thoughts

This Friends Complete Collection DVD Box set is ideal for those new to the show and fans alike. It is beautifully presented in a wonderful little box set. Sure, the show may be a little dated in places but this just doesn't really matter, so pull up a pew brew some coffee and catch up with some old friends.
Price

This Friends Box set has a RRP of £50.

Delivery charges may apply.

Prices correct July 2017.

• danielclark691 published 31/08/2017
    very well covered
  • Secre published 04/08/2017
    Been ages since I watched this!
  • jb0077 published 31/07/2017
    great

offers "Friends The Complete Collection (DVD)"