Review of "Friends The Complete Collection (DVD)"

published 25/08/2017 | Caz87
Member since : 29/07/2017
I love film, theatre and entertainment. I am a keen runner and spend a lot of time doing that when I am not working, I work full time in football.
Pro It's amazing! One of the best TV Shows of all time!
Cons None
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"They'll always be there for you!"

Amazing blue box!

Amazing blue box!

I feel like I need to give you some background on my love for Friends. I was slightly too young when the series first started, but over the ten year period it was on at some point I ended up getting right into it, maybe by season 5 or 6. I just remember getting the VHS yes really VHS for Christmas when they were buy one get one free! But then having to upgrade them all to DVD. In the meantime watching on channel 4, E4 and more recently Comedy Central. I just cannot help but watch any episode when it is on. I have probably seen each episode hundreds of times!

I know it sounds crazy when I now have the full collection on this lovely Blu Ray collection, along with booklet and bonus disc. Let's face it though it looks good in that lovely blue box with the manhattan skyline on it!

I have also decided to do this review in true Friends format, The One . . .

The One with the TV Show

The Blu Ray set is split into two cases, season 1-5 and then 6-10. Discs 1-10 and then 11-20. So you don't have to constantly keep changing for the next episodes. The thing I love about Blu Ray discs certainly has to be that they have the ability to continue even if you accidentally eject them! That is a huge 236 episodes for you to watch, total heaven!

Season 1 - 24 Episodes
Season 8 - 24 Episodes
Season 9 - 24 Episodes
Season 10 - 18 Episodes

The One with the Characters

So we have six members of the friends gang, Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Ross, Chandler and Joey. Monica and Ross are siblings which explains how they are in the group together, Rachel was her best friend in High School but they lost touch until she jilted her wedding to the City and ended up living with her. Chandler and Joey live across the hall in the apartment and Phoebe used to live with Monica. We also find out that Chandler and Ross were College roommates, although that does spoil some previously put in storylines.

Over the seasons we certainly get to know our favourite friends and see them grow and develop for better or for worse. That certainly seems to be the case when we have the whole mess that was Rachel and Joey together. Everyone fell in love with Joey but in the later episodes he becomes extremely thick, not in the same way as young Joey was either, so loses some of his charm. Rachel and her hairstyles were something that everyone wanted and I am sure I did the same when layers were all the rage! This just shows that it was all so much more than just a TV show.

Monica is the neat freak chef, who wanted nothing more than to find a man to love her. Her story is pretty sad at times, but certainly has some happy moments as well. Ross, goes though a lot of marriages, well three but he does suffer a breakdown and that really does change the dynamics of the character and is pretty much the most annoying of them all, but I still love him! Phoebe is the wacky one and loves singing about a Smelly Cat!

We also get plenty of recurring characters and some amazing guest appearances including some of hollywoods finest Brad Pitt, Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Julia Roberts, Susan Sarandon, George Clooney, Reese Witherspoon, Alec Baldwin, Jeff Goldblum and well many more to spot along the journey. Oh and Tom Selleck for an extended amount of time!

The One with the Acting

Considering the show won many awards for the actors and show in general it's safe to say that the acting in this is pretty much the best we have seen from Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow, Courtney Cox, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer. All have struggled to make that leap away from the show and that is the only thing they are totally associated with. I still cannot help but watch a film they have made, but I guess Aniston was the most successful in that sense but she was pretty much always Rachel.

The One with the Storylines

Each episode is pretty much standalone and has new stories and things happening in them. But other things are a constant and more of an ongoing story. I guess the easiest way to relate something to this is relationships, unless of course you are Joey and his were often two per episode, ok that was a slight exaggeration.

Some times the continuity between seasons then became a problem, as I mentioned earlier about Chandler and Ross being in College together. Rachel and Monica with being in High School together in flashbacks and "old videos" it is clear that Rachel and Chandler had met before but some earlier episodes they don't know each other. I guess it is not really a huge issue but I am sure some people will find it annoying. Not really something had even thought about until reading random articles about the show.

I have found watching it over and over again as I got older to really help understand some of the moments and episodes. When you hit your mid-twenties and suddenly just get them more, like you found things funny in the past but now you really get how they feel as you have been through it all as well now. You also wonder how they managed to afford those apartments in NYC with rubbish jobs and in there early twenties wishing you could have done the same.

The One with the Booklet

The amazing booklet that comes in the box set contains the name of each episode along with a small bit of information about it. which could be very useful if you have never seen them before. It also informs you of the special features on each of the disc.

The One with the Bonus Disc

True Friends Documentaries: Friends from the Start, Become Family, The Legacy of Friends
Original Script and Producers Cut for The One Where Rachel Tells Ross
The One with the Never-Before-Seen Gags
Friends on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno
The Rembrandts - I'll Be There For You (Official Video)
Friends visit the Ellen Show

The One with the Price

I paid *£49.48* on Amazon, which I do believe was part of the Black Friday or Boxing Day deals. It still is around the price, but you can get it very slightly cheaper now, I have done a little bit of research and put together
Current prices:

Amazon - £53.89
Zavvi.com - £44.99
theHut.com - £44.99
HMV - £59.99
Game - £59.99

So being a huge Friends geek and fan, I could not help myself in upgrading to Blu Ray and this is certainly the best and perfect collection I could ask for!

• euphie published 16/09/2017
    vh :o)
  • justarube published 07/09/2017
    Great
  • danielclark691 published 01/09/2017
    very well covered

offers "Friends The Complete Collection (DVD)"