Fujifilm FinePix E900

Fujifilm FinePix E900

Review of "Fujifilm FinePix E900"

published 15/03/2007 | flashpointz
Member since : 06/07/2000
Satisfactory
Pro looks nice, has very good specification
Cons poor image quality
Picture Quality
Range & Quality of Features
Ease of Use
Reliability

"A CLASSIC CASE OF 'MORE IS LESS'"

NINE Megapixels - wow.....but what a disappointment!

As a Professional photographer, I'm coming at this camera maybe from a different perspective that a normal consumer. I'd been looking for a carry anywhere type camera and one that was easy to use for my wife as well as myself.

I've got thousands of pounds worth of photographic equipment, 3 Digital SLR bodies, lenses, flashes etc when going on a job. But for holidays, family events and just to slip into a pocket 'just in case', I really thought this Fuji E900 would fit my bill.

But oh how disappointing...

I bought it for around £240 at Jessops back in December 2005. Used it outdoors and thought it was quite good. Then came Christmas and the opportunity to snap the grandkids opening their pressies and other typical family type shots.

Using either the viewfinder - which I'm used to - or the LCD Screen to frame the pictures I found straightway that the ACTUAL image did not correspond to the ACTUAL shot taken. Some clipping on the edge of the frame, obviously more noticeable if shooting 'tight' ie with the subject filling the frame. But more importantly and to me, the MOST important fact was that when I uploaded the images to my PC and looked at them, full size, they did not look SHARP. In fact they looked almost like 'watercolours', no sharp defination around the edge of the picture.

Now, remember I'm a professional and when working at a Red Carpet event, Sports job or any kind of local press, PR Shoot, my pictures have to be good. I KNOW if an image is sharp or 'off focus'.

With this 9 megapixel imager, the Fuji E900 should give excellent quality prints. I did try to get a couple of 7" x 5" prints from the best of my photos with this camera and they looked very 'wishy-washy'. Yes not a technical term, but I guess you know what I mean.

My Canon EOS ID Mk2 bodies attached to a quality lens are only 8 megapixel. I often get people come up to me and say "How many megapixels is your camera, mate", I tell them...."I've got one that does 8, 9, 10 megapixel and I bet it only costs a fraction of your gear"

Well yes and to be honest this Fuji E900 is the classic case of 'more is less'. 9 megapixels in this camera produces - in my opinion - sib par results and in fact I have an old Canon Ixus 400 (4 megapixel) that produces sharper, crisper images each time.

I was disappointed in this camera. It cost at the time - as I said - £250. It still has a very good specification - 9 mp, 4 x optical zoom, right up there 15 months later, with some of the newer models.

But I would assume it is not just me that has found this item highly unsatisfactory otherwise the price would not be nearer the £120 mark that you can pick this model up for today.

I honestly could not recommend this camera to anyone. It's not the smallest to put in your pocket, its not the cheapest and certainly its far short of the best in its class in terms of image quality.

Sorry Fuji - I loved your films, but this camera is not up to scratch.

• andrewjrvhunt published 26/04/2009
    Quite an interesting view - I myself loved the camera. But yes, everything you say is true.
  • jeaniecz published 07/07/2008
    very good review and I do value your opinion. on the other hand I find it kinda obvious that a pro would be disappointed in a compact camera, esp is you use canon's Mark II ;)
  • elspeth334 published 11/05/2007
    Great to see you back I was away for 4 years but returned a few months ago. You havent lost your touch good review Cheers Elspeth

Product Information : Fujifilm FinePix E900

The FinePix E900 Zoom is a durable compact that has been designed with comfort, ease of use and image satisfaction in mind. Available in black with metallic silver trim, it features a solid `grip' making it easier to hold and operate when on the move.

Product type: Digital camera, Digital camera - compact

Lens System / Min Focal Length: 0.0032

Camera Flash / Type: Built-in Flash

Built-in Flash: With built-in Flash

Manufacturer: Fujifilm

Product Description: Fujifilm FinePix E900 - digital camera, Fujifilm FinePix E900 Zoom - digital camera

AV Interfaces: Composite video/audio, Composite video

Memory Card Slot: XD-Picture Card

Supported Battery: 2 x AA NiMH rechargeable battery ( included )

Digital Zoom: 7.6 x

Weight: 200 g, 0.2 kg

Dimensions (WxDxH): 10.2 cm x 3.4 cm x 6.3 cm, 10.16 cm x 3.6 cm x 6.35 cm

Display: LCD display - 2"

Viewfinder: Optical - real-image zoom

Camera Flash: Pop-up flash

Focus Adjustment: Automatic, manual

Lens System: 4 x zoom lens - 7.2 - 28.8 mm - f/2.8-5.6, 4 x zoom lens - 7.2 - 28.8 mm - f/2.8-8.0

Sensor Resolution: 9.0 Megapixel

Min Focus Distance: 60 cm

Pricing Type: Refurbished

Exposure & White Balance

Auto Exposure Bracketing: 3 steps in 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV steps

Exposure Compensation: ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps

Min Shutter Speed: 15 sec, 3 sec

Max Shutter Speed: 1/2000 sec

White Balance Presets: Fine, incandescent, shade, fluorescent light (cool white), fluorescent light (daylight), fluorescent light (warm white)

White Balance: Custom, automatic, presets

Special Effects: Black & White, chrome

Shooting Programs: Portrait mode, night mode, sports mode, natural light

Exposure Modes: Programme, automatic, manual, aperture-priority, shutter-priority

Exposure Metering Zones: 64

Height: 6.3 cm, 6.35 cm

Depth: 3.4 cm, 3.6 cm

Width: 10.2 cm, 10.16 cm

Battery

Details: 2 x AA NiMH rechargeable battery ( included )

Battery Type: AA

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Battery charger, hand strap, USB cable, audio / video cable

Pricing Type: Refurbished

System Requirements for PC Connection

Operating System Support: MS Windows XP, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows ME, MS Windows 98, MS Windows 98 SE, Apple MacOS X 10.2.8 or later

Peripheral Devices: USB port, CD-ROM Drive

System Requirements Details: Windows 98/98SE/2000/ME/XP - Pentium - 200 MHz - 256 MB - 450 MB ¦ MacOS X 10.2.8 or later - PowerPC - 256 MB - 400 MB

Software

Software: Drivers & Utilities, FinePix Viewer, ImageMixer VCD2 LE, RAW file converter LE

Connections

Viewfinder Type: Optical - real-image zoom

Field Coverage: 77%

Additional Features

Self Timer Delay: 10 sec, 2sec

Additional Features: Audio recording, USB 2.0 compatibility, RGB primary colour filter, auto power save, DPOF support, digital image rotation, PictBridge support, histogram display, AE lock, AF lock, cropping an image

Continuous Shooting Speed: 1.5 frames per second

Lens System

Lens Construction: 5 groups / 6 elements

Zoom Adjustment: Motorised drive

Macro Focus Range: 7.5-80cm

Focus Adjustment: Automatic, manual

Type: 4 x zoom lens - 7.2 - 28.8 mm - f/2.8-5.6, 4 x zoom lens - 7.2 - 28.8 mm - f/2.8-8.0

Features: Built-in lens shield, aspherical lens

Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera: 32 - 128mm, 32.5 - 130mm

Min Focus Distance: 60 cm

Memory / Storage

Memory Card Slot: XD-Picture Card

Image Storage: RAW 1 - with 32MB card - 18.8 MB ¦ Fine JPEG 3488 x 2616 : 6 - with 32MB card - 4.5 MB ¦ Normal JPEG 3488 x 2616 : 13 - with 32MB card - 2.2 MB ¦ JPEG 3696 x 2464 : 13 - with 32MB card - 2.2 MB ¦ JPEG 2592 x 1944 : 25 - with 32MB card - 1.2 MB ¦ JPEG 2048 x 1536 : 40 - with 32MB card - 780 KB ¦ JPEG 1600 x 1200 : 50 - with 32MB card - 630 KB ¦ JPEG 640 x 480 : 247 - with 32MB card - 130 KB

Included Memory Card: 16 MB xD

Video Capture: AVI - 640 x 480 - 30 fps - 13 sec - with 16MB card ¦ AVI - 320 x 240 - 30 fps - 26 sec - with 16MB card

Supported Memory Cards: xD-Picture Card, xD-Picture Card Type H, xD-Picture Card Type M

Environmental Parameters

Min Operating Temperature: 0 °C

Max Operating Temperature: 40 °C

Camera Flash

Camera Flash: Pop-up flash

Flash Modes: Fill-in mode, slow synchro, auto mode, flash OFF mode, red-eye reduction

Effective Flash Range: 0.3 m - 3.7 m, 0.6 m - 4.5 m

Digital Video Format: AVI

Image Recording Format: JPEG, RAW

Product Type: Digital camera - compact

MPN: N078940A, P10n077200a, E900, FINEPIX E900

Optical Sensor Size: 1/1.6"

Effective Sensor Resolution: 9,000,000 pixels