Fujitsu ESPRIMO Mobile M9400

Fujitsu ESPRIMO Mobile M9400

Review of "Fujitsu ESPRIMO Mobile M9400"

published 23/12/2009 | minkypolly
Member since : 21/10/2009
Pro fast, reliable, excellent battery life
Cons plugs in on the wrong side!
Speed
Look & Feel
Memory / capacity
Comfort & Portability
Robustness & Durability

"Less a laptop, more a time-machine!!"

In a bid to increase efficiency, the company I work for recently invested millions of pounds on a large-scale upgrade of its computer equipment. As a field user, I was presented with a new laptop, router and printer for use at home in my spare bedroom office, and whilst out at meetings.

To help you understand just how important and life-changing an event this was as an end-user, let me describe my typical morning routine pre-upgrade:

6am Lean out of bed and boot up laptop. Use snooze function on alarm clock to check progress and enter passwords etc until finally "in" around 7am. Check emails (takes ages to send/receive), then print off reports etc, which takes until about half eight as machine is so slow. Check emails again then leave the house at 9am.

That’s three hours to look at my emails and print off about six to eight reports, all because everything moved so p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y S--L----O-------W!

Now, with my new Fujitsu Esprimo laptop, I can be in my email, printing stuff at the same time, within a minute or two of pressing the on button. In all my experience of using various laptops for both business and recreation, I have never yet come across one which does as its told quite so quickly and efficiently. I am not a techno-buff, so I cannot tell you which of its impressive specifications contribute to this, but I suspect its going to be down to the processor, which is an Intel Core Duo. I can now work on various different applications at once, whereas before if I tried to open more than one program, the whole thing would freeze, costing me hours in reboot time.

The other major advantage of this machine over alternatives is its highly impressive battery life. As well as printing off information for business meetings, I like to have my laptop as backup in case further info is required, or an adhoc email needs sending. In the past I would have no option but to seek a powerpoint, but now I can work parked up n my car if need be, or in cafes without endangering innocent consumers with my trailing wires.

Its not a hugely glamourous computer - its smallish and black, with a 14.1" screen that's fine for work purposes. Its very portable - weighing only 2.3kg - and again this make life much easier for me, as I have a rubbish back, and used to really struggle with my previous laptop, often having to carry it in front of me with both arms!

Although I don't use it for music or video very much, its more than capable when I do. The volume is quietish at its maximum, but if you are that bothered you can always get standalone speakers.

I have only two minor narks with it. Firstly it has an annoying wireless button which you have to switch on when you boot up - I'd far prefer for this to be automatic. Secondly, the power lead plugs in on the right hand side of the machine. As I am in the right-handed majority, I tend to have pens, papers, coffee cups situated to the right of my laptop when it’s in use, and it would make more sense to me to have the wire trail from the opposite side so it doesn't knock things or get in the way.

Other than that, I really can't complain. Having had nasty accidents before with hardware, it reassures me to know this one has a special "spill-proof" keyboard (though I'm not going to test it for you!) and a strong casing making it less prone to breakage. It heats up a bit when its been on a while, but not excessively, and I have NEVER had the machine crash or freeze on me in several months use. How many laptop-users can say that?

So I'd recommend this very highly. It's made a huge difference to my productivity at work, and freed up hours of my day for such useful activities as sleeping and relaxing. I didn't pay for this, but have checked online and it's available from £580. This is quite a chunky price for a machine if you intend to use it just for fun, but as a business machine it saves invaluable time, and the price seems more than reasonable.

Full product specifications available at:

• costas1234 published 24/12/2009
    Great review
  • lillamarta published 24/12/2009
    A reliable brand, thanks for the details.
  • catsholiday published 23/12/2009
    SOUNDS A GOOD ONE

Product Information : Fujitsu ESPRIMO Mobile M9400

For business people moving from location to location, work became impossible without mobile equipment. The ESPRIMO Mobile M9400 - a lightweight 14.1-inch WXGA mainstream notebook - with latest Intel Centrino Duo processor technology meets the growing needs for ubiquitous connectivity. It keeps working productive, wherever decided to work. And once back at the office, the port replicator instantly transforms the ESPRIMO Mobile in a fully-fledged PC.

Product Description: Fujitsu ESPRIMO Mobile M9400 - 14.1" - Core 2 Duo T7250 - Vista Business - 1 GB RAM - 80 GB HDD

Product Type: Notebook

Operating System: Vista Business

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 / 2 GHz / 2 MB Cache

Memory: 1 GB DDR2

Storage: 80 GB HDD / 5400 rpm

Optical Drive: DVD SuperMulti DL

Display: 14.1" 1280 x 800 / WXGA

Graphics: Intel GMA X3100

Networking: 802.11a/b/g/n (draft), Bluetooth 2.0 , Gigabit Ethernet , fax / modem

Battery: 6-cell - up to 6 hours

Interface: SATA 1.5 Gb/s

Optical Drive: DVD±RW (+R double layer) / DVD-RAM

Display

Type: 14.1"

Resolution: 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )

Widescreen: Yes

Max Supported Qty: 2

Capacity: 5200 mAh

Run Time: Up to 6 hours

AC Adapter

Input: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Connections & Expansion

Slots: 2 x memory ¦ 1 x ExpressCard/54

Interfaces: 4 x USB 2.0 - 4 PIN USB Type A ¦ 1 x display / video - S-video output - 4 PIN mini-DIN ¦ 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45 ¦ 1 x audio - line-in/microphone ¦ 1 x audio - line-out/headphones ¦ 1 x docking / port replicator ¦ 1 x modem - phone line - RJ-11

Memory Card Reader: Yes ( SD Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD-Picture Card )

Software

Software Included: Drivers & Utilities, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Toshiba Bluetooth Stack, Nero Essentials

Miscellaneous

Features: Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately), administrator password, system password, hard drive password

Compliant Standards: UL, cUL, GS, WHQL, CB, R&TTE, RoHS