Fujitsu Pocket LOOX 600

Fujitsu Pocket LOOX 600

Review of "Fujitsu Pocket LOOX 600"

published 26/10/2004 | JimKerr
Look & Feel
Memory / capacity
Comfort & Portability
Robustness & Durability

"This is my modern swiss army knife."

I have owned and used this daily for over two years without a single problem. If you want the specs look elsewhere if you want to know what it can do read on...

I do like my gadgets but this has been truely useful and cost effective. I originally bought it to keep track of contacts and my diary. But I now know it can do so much more.

I bought a keyboard so I can type notes on the train and it is a lot smaller than a laptop and the battery life is about 5 times the standard laptop capacity so ideal for text notes.
(No Laptop, Saved £1000)

I bought an SD card for storage and can now play MP3's but it doesn't stop there. I got an Ap for my PC that allows DVD to be compressed and stored on 128MB or 256MB cards. I have just been to france and had a couple of my sons DVDs on cards so he could watch while abroad. (No portable DVD player, Saved £150)

It has built-in Bluetooth as well so I bought a USB bluetooth dongle (100m version) and can now browse and sync from my garden and anywhere in the house how cool is that and this coupled with IRemote software allows me to control my Winamp on my PC from my PDA. I even get to see the songlists etc, not just basic funtionality.

I use just a few additional application
Omega Journal Bar:
Allows me to keep track of current weather forecast for selected area along with BBC news headlines from selected areas of interest. It has loads of other features like whats on at cinemas, share prices, exchange rates etc.
(No more newspapers saved 50p a day total approx £365)

Omega Battery Bar :
gives extra funtionality so I can see how much memory I have free and battery I have remaining.

Acrobat Reader:
Read all 5 Harry Potter books on this cool way to carry books for holiday and more like star trek every day.

TomTom Navigator / GPS:
This coupled with either a Bluetooth or CF GPS is a boon to all drivers. I now never get lost. Even used it in France with no problems door to door navigation with this I'll never get lost again. The timings it gives foir journeys is also accurate, more so than Autoroute. I normally beat the time by about 5 to 10 minutes depending on journey and traffic but this is good. This ETA is constantly updated and is fead back on an easy to read display. (No stand alone system saved £250)

Overall this system has cost me around £500 inc software and hardware, but has saved me over £1765 over the past two years and I ain't even counting the diesel for how often I used to get lost. So I am in the Black for £1200+. Highly recomended especially since the unit is so compact with built in CF and SD slot . When I bought this all the Ipaqs etc required extra jackets that equal extra bulk.

This is my must have for a not too deserted Desert Island Holiday.

• Chuzzler published 27/10/2004
    Thanks for that. Was in the process of getting SAT NAV in car, working out pricey, will now reconsider and maybe buy one of these.Family member already has something similar. They never described it quite so well(Thought it was more like a posh address book ). Thanks.
  • MAFARRIMOND published 26/10/2004
    Sounds very impressive. Maureen
  • gsdlover published 26/10/2004
    It looks real good, im now thinking about getting one. That was something i didnt think id ever buy. Good review

Product Information : Fujitsu Pocket LOOX 600

The new Fujitsu Technology Solutions handheld is a step into the future of mobility and connectivity. Pocket LOOX delivers a mobile solution that meets the needs of individual and business customers. This small, lightweight device has a very long battery life, making it a business critical tool for the mobile professional as well as the demanding consumer.

Product Description: Fujitsu Pocket LOOX 600 - handheld, Fujitsu Pocket LOOX 600 - handheld - Windows Mobile 2002

Product Type: Handheld

MPN: S26391-K120-V125, S26391-K120-V12, S26391-K120-V122

Product Type: Handheld

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2002

Display

Type: Colour TFT ( reflective )

Resolution: 240 x 320

Colour Depth: 16-bit (64k colours)

Pixel Pitch: 0.22 mm

Input Device

Type: Touch-screen, 4-way cross keypad, scroll button

Keys Qty: 6

Software

Preloaded Software: Calculator, Voice Recorder, Pocket Excel, Pocket Internet Explorer, Pocket Word, Windows Media Player, Pocket Outlook, MSN Messenger, Terminal Services Client, Transcriber, Microsoft Reader 2.0, SpeedMenu, Plugfree, Microsoft ActiveSync 3.5

Expansion and Connectivity

Expansion Slots: 1 x CompactFlash Card - type II ¦ 1 x SD Memory Card

Interfaces: 1 x serial RS-232C ¦ 1 x headset ¦ 1 ¦ 1 ¦ 1 x headphones

Connectivity Devices: Docking cradle

Power

Voltage Required: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Battery

Environmental Parameters

Min Operating Temperature: 5 °C

Max Operating Temperature: 40 °C

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - parts and labour - 2 years - carry-in

Listed on Ciao since: 13/01/2004