GHD Mark IV Styler Hair Straightener

GHD Mark IV Styler Hair Straightener

Review of "GHD Mark IV Styler Hair Straightener"

published 07/03/2012 | xmum2fourx
Straightening
Ease of Use
Special Features

"Worth every penny "

So far I have had 2 pairs of ghd straightners my first I received for my 16th birthday of my partner and they were the hot pink limited addition ones. After 6 long years of daily use they were put into retirement after I dropped them of my fireplace and after the beatings they had taken by my clumsy hands over the years the plates snapped in two. I had no doubt that I would purchase a pair and this time brought myself the black GHD Mark IV Styler Hair Straighteners from Amazon which while on offer cost me around £89.

You can get many variations of the ghd styler in different shapes to suit different lengths better and they always bring out limited editions with different colours and accessories so it is worth shopping round to see what ones you like best.

What do you get?

With my first set that I know cost around £140 I received hair straightners, sectioning clips, heat protection spray and a heat mat but with my Mark Iv as I went for the basic package I just received the straightners on their own. They come presented in a black ghd box that your straighteners can be stored in over and over so that they do not get broke. This box has lasted well with my last straightners they were still stored in the box after 6 years and although it was a little tatty it was still fit for purpose.

The straightners are black with gold plates on them and a long cord. The straightners are a good size to hold comfy in your hands and have plates on them that are long yet thin but very easy to use. They also have an on/off button and a light to show whether they are switched on or not.

The cord

The cord is a good length at 2.8m so you do not need to sit right next to a plug to use them and the swivel cord that attaches to the straightners means you can twist and turn the slyer as much as you want without it becoming tangled and without it preventing you to have the freedom to move freely to style you hair in which way you want.

This is great for when curling your hair as it means when the straightners are being twisted round over and over again it is not damaging the cord and it does not come loose at the connection.

The functions

There is an on off switch on the inside of the arms of the straightners unlike most straightners ghd’s only have 1 heat setting you cannot turn them up or down it is a matter of plug in watch on and go.

These straightners heat up to 210 degrees in around 10 seconds when you first turn on the straightners there I steady red light which bleeps and lets you know once they re at full heat and ready to use. This continues to flash so you know when it is on and if you leave the hair straightners unattended for 30 minutes they switch themselves off for safety. Although this seems a long time and a fire could have been caused a long time before this it is still nice to know there is a safety feature in there somewhere. Also as condensation can damage hair appliances if your room temperature drops below 8deg.C they also turn themselves off to protect themselves.

They have ceramic plates which mean your hair runs smoothly through them without puling nagging or causing any friction at all while using them.

My experience

I love my straightners they are perfect for me I have really wavy hair that is not curly and definite not straight and it can take some time to get it under control. To use I simply section my hair into pieces and then run the straighteners over them and within the pull over my hair that section of hair is straight. There is no puling at my head as they glide smoothly across my hair and although heat is not great for your hair these straightners do the best they can to protect them by not adding any extra stress to them. The plates are long and thin yet are able to straighten my hair with no problems at all.

They have plates that move a little and at first I thought this was a design fault but it actually means that if you push down on the straighter harder on one side than the other the elevating plate means the plates will still sit even as they slide through your hair.

One of the best things about these straightners is that you can create so many different looks from them so you can always have your hair different. They can be rather hard to learn how to create new styles and even with a DVD you can get from ghd teaching you how to create the different types of curls and straight effects it is still really difficult to get to gists with it.

With other straightners I can straighten my hair in the morning and within a few hours it slowly begins to frizz up and return to its wavy self until I sit down from a long day at work looking like I have been rolling around in bushes. With these straightners it straightens my hair fast yet effectively being extra straight, leaving my hair looking healthy and yet the straightness shines through all day and I can actually see at the end of the day that I straightened my hair that morning.

Summary

These are fantastic hair straightners in total I have owned 2 pairs of these straightners and both have given me the same fantastic results with no pulling tugging or any other grief . I know that no matter what running plates through your hair at 210 degrees is not going to be good for it but at least I know these provide the best results possible with the smooth plates. Although they are pricey between £90 -£150 depending on what set you purchase for the amount of time they last and the durability of these straightners they really are worth every penny.

• Coloneljohn published 17/03/2012
    Excellent review. John
  • Mildew82 published 08/03/2012
    Covers everything I'd want to know!
  • Nar2 published 08/03/2012
    Well written here!

Product Information : GHD Mark IV Styler Hair Straightener

With the Mk4's sleek design and ingenious new features. this is the ultimate in styling tools. The 2.5cm/1 inch plates and rounded barrels allow you to create curls. flicks or waves and the GHD Styler ceramic plates have even better temperature regulation. giving stunning straightness. smoothness and shine to die for!The new GHD Styler features: GHD's exciting sleek new design Auto multi-voltage for International use Hair straightener & styler in one Extra rounded barrel to create curls. flicks & waves Sleep Mode auto-off Safety `shiver' auto-off prevents damage in cold conditions Stronger. more durable cableAnd more - your GHD Styler comes complete with a DVD demonstrating the GHD Styler functions & teaching you how to straighten. curl and style your hair like a pro!Please note: once seal is broken we are unable to offer exchange or refund.

Long Name: MK4 Straightener, Mk4 Styler, Original Styler MK4, IV Styler, IV Styler Medium Straightener

Type: Straightener, Hair Styler

Manufacturer: GHD

EAN: 5060034526315, 5060034526346, 5060034526377, 0188673000937, 5060144332592, 5060034528357, 5060034529194, 5060144332615, 5051399198941, 188673000000, 5060034520610, 0560034520313, 0883349834174, 5060034524281, 4045787034844

Wet Hair Use: No

Temperature Display: No

Steam Shot: No

Different Temperature Settings: without Different Temperature Settings, with Different Temperature Settings

Power Supply: Mains