Galaxy Milk Chocolate Bar

Galaxy Milk Chocolate Bar

Review of "Galaxy Milk Chocolate Bar"

published 09/04/2013 | JOHNV
Member since : 13/07/2000
2000-2015, 886 reviews. Thanks all - it was fun while it lasted, but nothing lasts forever.
Pro Obvious, I would have thought
Cons With a little restraint, none
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"A case for sharing a chocolate bar"

Now calm down.  It's only a picture.

Now calm down. It's only a picture.

The woffly bit

Several of the family, including five of my wife’s grandchildren, aged between 3 and 11, came to stay in the house over Easter. (But I’m feeling better now, thanks). Needless to say, a sizeable amount of chocolate, partly in the form of eggs, was consumed. After they had gone my wife and I, whose innards had stoically been chocolate-free zones for the previous few days, felt it was time to treat ourselves.

We both love the stuff, although fortunately we are not addicted to it. I say fortunately, as she needs to watch her weight, and while I can eat almost anything and burn it off almost at once, I’m aware that too much of something is rarely a good thing. However, treats are there to be savoured albeit sparingly, and you only live once.

The relevant bit

Making a quick foray to the local Co-op, the confectionery shelves were festooned with several bars of Galaxy Smooth Milk in a shiny wrapper coloured several shades of brown. The 200g bar was on special offer at £1.50 from £2.45, so one bar of said product accompanied me to the till and home again.

My wife and I opened up the package to reveal a large bar about 8” x 4” (20cm x 10cm), consisting of 42 pieces, or 7 rows with 6 pieces each, to put it another way. It was a fairly light colour in appearance. When we broke the whole thing in two, she said it gave off a very attractive, slightly creamy smell. With my severely impaired sense of smell, I’m happy to take her word for it.

The taste, again, is light, slightly creamy and pleasantly sweet. Some people without a sweet tooth might find it a little excessive, but regarding myself as fairly middle-of-the-road as regards these things, it was fine by me – and by my wife as well.

The ‘More to share’ bit

So says a little strapline on the top of the wrapper. With this I’d agree. It was after all quite a generous-sized bar. We both finished our share feeling pleasantly sated. Even with my sometimes fairly generous appetite, I think that I might have felt slightly all-choc’ed out had I scoffed the lot myself. So yes, Mars, who manufacture Galaxy, there is indeed ‘more to share’. One bar between two consenting adults will leave you satisfied. By the way, the wrapper warns that ‘milk chocolate contains vegetable fats in addition to cocoa butter’, and also that one piece, weight 4.8g, contains 26kcal.

Online

No research of this nature is complete without at least a quick look online. Entering ‘Galaxy’ into the search engine I was taken to the site and a large warning, headed ‘Our Promise’. What was this? Was I the 1,000th person to click on the site this month and about to be rewarded with a year’s supply? (Pause to look out of window at flying pig). No – heavens above – I had entered an adult site. But fear not, there were no pictures of unclad people gorging themselves on chocolate, no shots of Marianne Faithfull with – ahem, where was I. What it did say was, and I quote,

’As a responsible manufacturer, and in line with our Marketing Code, we need to check your age to ensure that we adhere to our commitment to market our brands responsibly.’

Having keyed in my date of birth and satisfied them that I was 18 (and had been 18 for years, in a manner of speaking), I was taken into the site to see the other products. I found out that Galaxy Smooth Milk is also available in single bars (46g), ‘A Little Bit More’ (75g), Multipack (4 x 46g), Large (125g), Twin Pack (2 x 125g), and if you have an appetite like Billy Bunter, or a large family, a 390g bar, which doesn’t have a name. I would have thought Galaxy Monster might sound rather appropriate. These sizes, by the way, are slightly different, and I assume more current, from and than those given at the head of the ciao page.

If you want to buy yours from Amazon, the 125g bar is £1.95 + 99p delivery, or a box of 24 x 125g bars at £65.99 + £7.99 delivery. Needless to say, who wants to order them online when you can obtain them much cheaper over a shop counter probably not very far away. By the way, no Amazon Marketplace used bars were listed when I looked. I think of everything – perhaps unfortunately.

As with several other well-known chocolates, Celebrations tubs contain an individually-wrapped piece of Galaxy alongside the other Mars suspects (Bounty, Snickers, Milky Way and so on). One measly little piece at a time? You’ve got to be joking, unless you can help yourself to all the others in the tub while nobody is looking. Only kidding...

In conclusion

Galaxy Smooth Milk looks good, tastes good, and therefore it must be good. But a 200g bar will be probably be more than adequate for one, unless you can bear to wrap it up and put it away for a few hours (now that might take a lot of willpower). Too much of it at once might be bad for you, but there’s no harm in a little.

• Kukana published 23/06/2013
    I was very pleased to read that one of the world's oldest women, who died a few years ago at almost 120, revealed that one of her secrets was eating 1kg of chocolate every week. So I no longer consider chocolate as something to be eaten sparingly ;-)
  • mumsymary published 12/04/2013
    i had a galaxy easter egg it was yummy
  • jonathanb published 12/04/2013
    Galaxy chocolate is nice, but to me it will always play second fiddle to Dairy Milk.