Gangsta Granny - David Walliams

Gangsta Granny - David Walliams

Fiction - Children's - ISBN: 0007371446 - ISBN13: 9780007371440

Review of "Gangsta Granny - David Walliams"

published 10/08/2017 | beautybuff
Member since : 22/03/2014
Enjoying life, busy working full time and having fun with my family and always on the lookout for new beauty innovations!
Pro Fun to read
Cons Some sad bits
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"I want to go and stay at Granny's house!"

Gangsta Granny was the first David Walliams book I read with my eldest daughter. We decided upon this one as the cover looked exciting but I really was not sure what to expect.

A bit about
This book was released on 27 October 2011. It is illustrated by Tony Ross like the other books by Walliams.

In the story...
I won't give too much away but Ben dislikes weekends because his parents always make him go and stay at his Granny's house. He gets easily bored and hates the routine as his granny has an obsession with cabbages and tries to feed him cabbage based food all the time. One day he tries to sneak a biscuit and finds tin full of jewels. Then his Granny becomes all mysterious and he starts to wonder if she might be a bit more interesting than he first thought.

Characters
Ben is a boy with ambition in his life. He wants to be a plumber much to the disgust of his parents and sneaks his copy of "Plumbing Weekly" in to the house each week which the local newsagent Raj (a frequent character in Walliams' books) reserves for him. His mum and dad are obsessed with ballroom dancing so Ben decides to pretend to them that he would like to take it up much to his parents' delight. He does this to distract from his true hobby which is stalking his Granny to try and figure out what is going on.

My thoughts
I thought this book was good but it has some serious themes going through it of burglary, ill health and death. It is buyer beware with this one as it could upset some sensitive children and I actually thought "I wasn't expecting that!"... we read this book before a trip to London which was great as it put all of the talk of the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels and Tower Bridge in to context for the kids and made their trip a lot more exciting.

Price and availability
I saw this in a two for £7 offer in Tesco but think we actually bought it from a charity shop as we were collecting all the books by Walliams to read over the coming months.

Final word
This was an engaging read with a good story line and it tracked the relationship between Ben and his Granny that got better with time as they formed a team and worked together. It was heart wrenching in places though and ridiculous in other parts. The children laughed at the rude bits and were hanging on to every word as I read out the book. This has also been turned in to a stage show now, which is a true mark of its success. I would be happy to read this one again for the kids so I would say that is credit to the writer for his ability to weave a story about a Granny and her Grandson that draws you in.

• 1st2thebar published 14/08/2017