Garmin Edge 305

Garmin Edge 305

Review of "Garmin Edge 305"

published 22/12/2006 | Greasylake
Member since : 16/12/2006
Pro none
Cons Delicate, poor reception.

"Garmin Edge 205"

I'm a keen mountain biker and I live in South Wales.

Having used numerous cycle computers, I decided to go the whole hog and get something that would enable me not only to work out how far I'd been and at what speed, but also enable me to work out how much climbing I'd done, and to plot my route when I got home. So I ordered an Edge 205.

For a month or so all seemed fine. The edge was easy to charge and the comprehensive manual was easy to get through. The functions on the Edge were easy to use, and the display clear. Reception was good, and I was plotting routes like a good un. Then out of the blue, no longer could I download any info' from the Edge onto my Pc. I sent it back, and a month or so later received a replacement.
By now winter had gone and spring was in the air. Leaves were appearing on the trees, but all was not well. As the leaves and buds blossomed, the reception on my "new" edge got worse and worse. Over a typical four hour ride, only two hours of the ride would be recorded on the edge, making it nothing more that an expensive stop watch. As spring moved into summer, reception got even worse, and then on of the selector buttons broke. Leaving for my moring commute at 5am, riding beneath a clear sky, not a tree or leaf in sight, andi t would take about 20 minutes for the edge to get a signal and begin recording. Very frustrating as by then I was half way to work. This would happen every day.
I gave up using it.

As fo Garmins customer service. I sent them an email once, it took them a month to reply, so I didn't bother again.

This product has been a complete and utter waste of money. If you get one that works, then wonderful. But I've had two and neither worked. Very dissapointing.

This review was read 2093 times and was rated at

• LegendaryMrDude published 22/12/2006
    Sorry to hear about your problems - I'd suggest you update the firmware on the unit. Garmin made some significant improvements to the GPS signal handling over the last year or so. Certainly I've ridden some of the trails at Afan and my Edge305 coped fine with the trees in full leaf during August. IN fact, I've found the GPS so sensitive that it can actually pick up a signal on the ground floor of my house! Sam.
  • stitch99 published 22/12/2006
    That was helpful in so much as I don't think I want an Edge, but I would have liked to have read about what the thing is supposed to do. I have a Garmin forerunner 301 and use it for cycling as well as running. Touch wood, I haven't had any problems with it after a year. :-)

Product Information : Garmin Edge 305

Take your ride to the next level with the Edge 305 - Garmin's GPS-enabled, personal trainer and cycle computer. From competitive road racing to mountain biking, the cyclist-friendly, lightweight Edge will help you achieve your personal best. With the easy-to-use Edge 305 on your bike, you'll always know where you're going and how far you've gone. For advanced cyclists, the Edge 305 comes packaged with either a heart rate monitor or wireless speed/pedaling cadence sensor to provide valuable feedback. Heart rate and speed cadence are also sold separately as accessories so you can incorporate both features into your training. In addition, the Edge 305 incorporates a barometric altimeter for extremely accurate elevation and vertical profile data. Recreational cyclists looking for the perfect touring companion and fitness partner will love the Edge 305. The Edge 305 with cadence includes a self-calibrating, wireless speed/cadence sensor so you can monitor your pedaling cadence as you ride. Like the heart rate monitor, the speed/cadence sensor uses the same robust wireless technology to measure and report your pedaling strokes per minute. With its waterproof, sleek design, the Edge is the perfect companion on any bike, and attaches to either the stem or handlebars. Its rugged case frames an easy-to-read, large, backlit display that can show up to eight different data fields along with altitude and a map view.

Product Description: Garmin Edge 305 - CAD - GPS receiver, Garmin Edge 305 - Bundle - GPS receiver, Garmin Edge 305 - GPS receiver, Garmin Edge 305 - HR - GPS receiver

Product Type: GPS receiver

Type: Camping Accessories, Health Monitor

Genre: GPS

Power Source: Rechargeable

General

MPN: 010-00447-01, 010-00447-31, 010-00447-00, 010-00447-21, 900253, 900273, 010-00447-30, GE305CAD, 010-00447-20

Product Type: GPS receiver

Recommended Use: Cycle

Interface: USB

Functions & Services: Distance, elevation, speed, altimeter

Included Software: Garmin Training Center

Aerial: Built-in

Features: Barometric altimeter, alarm, AutoLap, AutoPause, Virtual Partner, ANT+Sport wireless technology

Receiver: 12 channel

Miscellaneous

Design Features: Rugged case

Protection: Waterproof

Waterproof Standard: IPX7

Included Accessories: AC power adaptor, bike mount, USB cable, speed/cadence sensor

Localisation: Europe