Lotion

Review of "Garnier Ambre Solaire Protection Lotion SPF30"

published 22/06/2017 | beautybuff
Member since : 22/03/2014
Enjoying life, busy working full time and having fun with my family and always on the lookout for new beauty innovations!
Pro good protection
Cons tube gets a bit messy as it is used up.
How does it affect your skin?
Staying Power
Does it smell good?
Water resistancy
How easily is it absorbed?

"You've got me covered"

Garnier Ambre Solaire Protection Lotion SPF30

I don’t mind paying out for sun cream if it protects my skin properly and stops me from getting burned. Sometimes though, it is more handy to have a handbag sized tube rather than a whopping bottle as you can keep it with you all the time and apply as required. We also buy the smaller bottles for the childrens’ school bags so that they can apply the cream at school if they need to. I spotted this tube of factor 30 sun protection lotion during a shopping trip in the local supermarket. Hubby was planning a full day outside at a sports event so he needed something to slip in his pocket.

The brand
I have always used the Ambre Solaire brand by choice as it is one that I trust and has worked well for me in the past. I think that it can work out a bit more expensive than some brands and especially if you buy it in small tubes like we do but I do also think it is worth it.

First impressions
Ours being a travel sized tube, it comes in a white plastic squeezy tube with a flip top lid. It is white and orange as the main colours, in keeping with the Garnier Ambre Solaire brand. What really caught my eye though was the promise of it being ultra-hydrating. I like to think that I am treating my skin at the same time as protecting it so a hydrating sun cream is definitely something that gets on my radar. I use this on face and body so it is important to me that it will be kind to my skin.

In use
This is quite a thick white cream. It has a bit of a plastic smell to it but I don’t mind it and it is not really strong. It is hard to dispense from the tube without making a mess. I am often lathering up the kids with it so I squeeze out a bit in to the palm of my hand and then rub together to cover a wider surface area on the children’s skin. They rarely stand still when I am lathering them so it’s a bit of a “Chase Me Chase Me” game with plenty of squirming when it gets to the face bit as they have had bad experience in the past with sun cream in the eye so there is no trust from them even though I try to be careful.

My thoughts
Despite the high (ish) factor, this lotion does not leave white marks on your skin and it does go a little bit greasy on your hands but it sinks in to skin nicely. A little bit goes a long way and it has a bearable scent to it. I have not burnt when wearing this in the sun in the UK and we have used it on arms, shoulders, faces with good success. This is available in different strengths but I choose factor 30 at home because I think it’s a decent barrier and I use factor 50 when travelling abroad. This is a product that we can use on all the family and nobody has any adverse reaction to it.

What they say…
This Formula 100% conforms to European recommendations (for protection against the harmful effects of UVA and UVB rays). Using this protects your skin today and for the future. The patented filtration system containing Mexoryl® SX protects against UVB induced skin damage and UVA rays that cause premature skin ageing. The formula is enriched with anti-oxidant Vitamin C and reinforces the skin's natural defences. It is an ultra-hydrating protection lotion and will quench skin with moisture and helps protect against the drying effects of the sun.

How much?
The Ambre Solaire brand is widely available. Superdrug sell a 50ml travel sized tube for £3.50. At boots, a 200ml bottle is £6. I think this is a fair price for a quality product although there may be various promotions worth looking out for.

Final word
I like this sun protection cream and would buy it again. I don’t mind paying £2-3 for a small 50 ml tube which is enough for the family to use on a day out. The kids grudgingly let me apply this to their skin and I like the extra hydrating promise that it makes. It’s a trustworthy, tried and tested brand for me.

• NBCMad92 published 27/06/2017
    vh
  • 2mennycds published 27/06/2017
    nicley done
  • kiss_me2070 published 26/06/2017
    Great review.

offers "Garnier Ambre Solaire Protection Lotion SPF30"