Garnier Fructis Style Surf Hair Texturising Gum

Garnier Fructis Style Surf Hair Texturising Gum

Styling Gel / Wax

Review of "Garnier Fructis Style Surf Hair Texturising Gum"

published 27/07/2007 | lana_07
Member since : 21/07/2007
Pro Cheap, good definition, texture, matte, no greasy residue, easy to wash out, smells great!
Cons None!! :)

"Could it be beach love??"

Ok... I don't know about you but i absolutely a'dore the beach/surfer hairstyles!! Where the girls have long, wavy textured hair thats all naturelle and the lads have the nice messed up hair look. You with me?

I've tried curling irons and mousse in the past but it doesnt give the same appearance, the product is still visible in you hair and sometimes looks like your going to your senior leavers prom. I've looked at a lot of hair products for the beach hair effect. The main ingredient in most is salt. Like when your at the beach and the salt in the air just makes your hair look extra good. But to be fair, i'm not convinced... my hair is pretty straight even when i sleep on it wet because the length of my layers weigh my hair down. I've tried the bumble and bumble surf hair but it wasnt very effective and my hair felt dirty and unwashed, nothing like when your at the beach. I've also tried some of the recipes on the internet to make this salt water spray and likewise it wasnt very effective.

I first saw this product when it first came out but i thought it was more of a laddish styling product since it was like lads hair putty. So i overlooked it and walked away. But i saw one of my friends use it, she carried it around with her in her bag and used it to give some Umph into her short choppy layered hair. It looked great! It gave texture to her hair and didnt leave it greasy or shiny like she slapped a load of product on her hair. She used this throughout the day and by the end of the day it still looked great. What was i thinking? Like a kid in a candy shop, i want i want i want!!!

So off i went to Boots.. It cost £2.99 for a large 150ml tub. The tub looks great on my shelf! Like shown in the picture, it has a nice apple green tub and a sunny yellow lid. The tub says it gives a long lasting beach look with a matte effect. The product itself is like hair putty. Its a slight beigy/cream colour that feels quite light and airy which isnt as sticky or tacky as usual hair putty's. The smell of the product smells fantastic! I love it, it doesnt smell too perfumey or girly for you lads but doesnt smell to blokeish for us girlies. It just smells clean and there something tropical about it when i smell it. Its like being at a fruit market, it just smells nice!

On the back it also says:

'Fed up with dull and boring hairstyles? With garnier Fructis Style you're in control.' Ok so lets see, am i in control?

How it works (as quoted on the tub):
The formula, with mattifying technology, texturises your hair without making it greasy or leaving any visible residue, giving your hair a long lasting matte look.

So all this was true on my friend short doo but what about mine?

I have long hair with grown out layers, perfect for the summer months! I begin with washing my hair with only shampoo since lots of product can make your hair greasy especially in the summer months. I then towel dry it and apply some hair serum to tame any frizz. I usually then allow it to dry naturally.

For the beach waves, i curl my hair with my straighteners. I dont part my hair at all. My hair is very think but i find that it i part my hair and curl, it can leave me with quite a boof! So i leave all my hair down and pick strands to curl. You only need to curl each strand for a couple of second for a loose curl. You dont want the tight curls that you have a prom. So repeating throughout the hair, picking out all the hair thats all straight and curling it in the same way. Another tip i can give is not to curl the top layers of your hair right to the top. You only want to curl from about the top of your ears downwards. Personally i think it looks better. So after all this, run your fingers through a couple of times. Then it leads us to the product.

The tub advises to 'warm a small amount of gum between your palms, rub vigorously into the hair at the roots, working detail with your fingers'.

I think this was more of a advistory for the lads, but saying that i did do it this way when i was in a rush and it looked ok! Usually though, i get the product and only warm it up on my fingers so i have more control of styling the strands of curls. With the product on my finger i run my finger through my hair, like when i was seperating the curls. I do this around my whole head where the curls are and then bring my hair over my shoulders to the front to style the hairs at the back of your head. With the same technique i run my fingers through. At this point, it looks pretty good, but to give the waves more of a definition, i pick out strands of hair and put a bit more product on it. And Ta-Dah ..... that it the hair style done!

The results? I have a perfect beach chic hairstyle without being anywhere near a beach! The description on the packaging was all correct, no disappointments at all. It all totally matte leaving no greasy residue. It gives great definition and texture to the hair, with the help of some straighteners. As with the you are in control comment.... I must say.... i was most definately in control!

Its a great product, doesnt state any lies on the packaging, it does what it says and i totally recommend it!

Just a few tips though for during the day. Like when you curl your hair, it can feel a bit knotted, just run your fingers through and sort out. The hairstyle will still be there when you've finished. I've had somedays where i've thought that after unknotting my hair, it looks even more beachy. So dont be scared to sort the dreaded knots out, but whatever you do, dont brush it!! You will look like something out of the braidy bunch!.... No jokes!

As for you lads... I'm sorry i couldnt test it out for you, but like most girls, i a'dore my hair way too much to chop it all off for you. So give it a try anyway, whats there to lose? Its only £2.99!!

So i hope this has helped you all, i think all you girlies should give it a go, your hair will look wonderful and leave you smiling until you wash it out! (washing it out is easy by the way)

Lana x

• Miskah published 29/07/2007
    Great review ♥ßeth.
  • sweetdaisy published 28/07/2007
    Great review. I have frizzy and curly hair and i use this stuff and it tames my hair without making it greasy xx