Review of "Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water"

published 26/03/2017 | justarube
Member since : 09/04/2014
Hi, I enjoy writing and reading reviews. Thanks for your rates and comments. xx
Pro Is soft and soothing, requires no rubbing.
Cons Feel like I need to moisturise after use.
How does it affect your skin?
Does it dehydrate your skin?

"Softly Does It!"

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water

Introduction

Over the past few years how I wear make-up has changed. I used to wear the bare minimum and it looked fine but as my facial skin has aged I have found myself needing to use more products to help me retain a youthful, healthy appearance. When my make-up habits changed so did my make-up removal routine. I used to be able to wash and go but now I wash, cleanse, tone and moisturise. It's important to me that I can remove every last scrap of make-up from my face before I go to bed at night. I know that make-up residue can dry and age the skin. I also want to use products that will leave my skin in a good condition.

Until recently I've been using cleansing and toning products by the brand Simple but I heard about this Garnier Micellar Water and really wanted to try the product. I am not the kind of person who seizes upon new beauty fads but I couldn't help but feel curious about the attention that beauty experts were giving to micellar water. My girly magazines were filled with praise for this new make-up removal product and beauty professionals seemed to suggest that the Garnier brand were leading the way in terms of product quality. These articles were backed up by consumer reviews I found online which all seemed to suggest that the Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water was an incredible product! All of these factors propelled me to make my purchase.
What Is It?

Micellar Water is a cleanser and make-up removal liquid. Garnier state this is a "3-in-1" product because it "cleanses, removes make up and soothes". The formula contains clusters of clever molecules called 'micelles' which attract dirt and impurities from the skin. They magnetise and lift any make-up from your skin so you never have to scrub at your skin. The liquid is also able to hydrate the skin because the molecules love water so as they suck away the dirt they replenish your skin with hydration.

Packaging

When I went to the store to buy my micellar water I was a bit confused at first. I hadn't realised that Garnier make three different varieties in this range. They are all aimed at different skin types.They even have a range of Micellar Wet Wipes! I had to read all of the packaging quite closely when I was in the shop and I eventually purchased the bottle for 'Sensitive Skin'. This seems to be the standard product in the range as the other varieties are for people with oily or very dry skin. This product can be distinguished from the others because the lid is pink.

Garnier also produce this product in different size bottles. I bought the smallest bottle just in case I didn't like the product. It's marketed as an "On The Go" or travel sized version as it is only 125ml in size. It's very lightweight and the perfect product to take on holiday. The bottle is transparent, recyclable plastic. It has a bright pink lid which has a large flip up tab. This can be opened very easily but it clicks into place and remains secure when it is closed. If I packed this into a suitcase I would not have any concerns about this lid accidentally opening up in transit.

A label on the front of the bottle is printed with some useful information. The brand state this liquid requires "no rinsing" and inform us that the product can be used on "face, eyes [and] lips". The product is marked as fragrance free. It is dermatologically tested to ensure it is safe for all skin types. It is also ophthalmologically tested to ensure that it is safe for use around the eyes.

There is also a label on the back of the bottle which is printed with thorough information about the product. The text explains in depth why this product is so unique and how it works. Directions for use are also listed along with a "brand philosophy" segment and also full ingredients.

Ingredients and Other Information

Garnier claim that whenever they can they use "active ingredients from nature" and then combine them with "skincare actives". They state their products undergo a lot of scientific research and that all of their products are tested for suitability for even the most sensitive skin type. I should point out that Garnier is a brand that is still considered as one that is NOT cruelty free and this product does not carry a cruelty free stamp. Garnier are actually owned by L'oreal who still allow ingredients to be tested in China.

Full Ingredients:

Aqua/Water, Hexylene Glycol, Glycerin, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Disodium Edta, Poloxamer 184, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide.
Using The Product

I tend to use this Micellar Water after washing my face with a soap cleanser and then after using a cream cleanser. So it replaces the 'toner' in my make-up removal routine. However, I do believe that this product is powerful enough to be used straight after washing your face and without using a cream cleanser.

To use the product you need to squeeze out the liquid onto a cotton ball or pad. This should then be wiped across your face. I personally prefer to use a pad as it has a better surface area and it is usually perforated so that it collects make-up more easily in the grooves on the surface.

The Micellar Water is very runny. It is actually just like tap water. It has absolutely no fragrance whatsoever and the only thing that makes it look like a beauty product is that the liquid sometimes bubbles up and forms a foamy top if I shake the bottle. The bottle does actually not require shaking before use.

I find it easy to apply the correct amount to a cotton pad. The dispensing hole is the right size and there is no dripping during the application to the cotton pad. When I apply the wet pad to my skin it feels very cool and soft. I was surprised when I first used this that I could actually feel a big difference from my regular Simple toner product in terms of how soft the Micellar Water liquid felt as it touched my skin. This Micellar Water is incredibly soothing and gentle and it's a pleasure to wipe across the skin. It feels like a pampering routine. It is gentle on the skin of the lips, even if your lips are chapped. It does not sting my eyes. I am a contact lens wearer and my eyes are often a bit sore and sensitive but I have no problem with this Micellar Water. I actually like how cool the liquid feels as I'm smoothing it over my eyelids.

The product is very effective at picking up any dregs of make-up that might be left on the skin. In my experience my skin tends to hold onto foundation and concealer. The cotton pad always turns a peachy orange and I will use the pad, turn it over and use the other side and even use a second pad until I get to a stage where the pad is coming off my face and looking clean! This depends on how sticky your make-up is and how well your soap and/or cream cleansers have worked. This takes off crusty mascara too and it acts like an oil based cleanser, cutting into the dry mascara formula and turning it into a soft and sludgy paste so it can easily be wiped away.

In my experience the Micellar Water is very quick and efficient and it only takes a minute to cover my whole face and neck area. After I've removed all traces of make-up I can feel that my face feels slightly tingly. As my face dries it feels a little prickly but this sensation only lasts 10-20 seconds before my skin has dried. The Micellar Water requires no rinsing at all. After it has dried I actually like the way the skin on my face looks. It appears to be bright, super clean, fresh and healthy. However, after I use the product I do feel my skin feels a little tighter than it normally would after I've used my regular product of the Simple toner. Sometimes, with my Simple toner I would allow myself to forget the moisturising stage if I was really tired and couldn't be bothered to apply any lotion! However, I feel that moisturising is a must after using this Micellar Water.
Overall Thoughts

I'm happy with the product although it's not the beauty miracle that I imagined based on all the hype I'd heard about the product. I am pleased with the condition of my skin after using the product over a short period of time. I have not developed any pimples and my skin looks incredibly fresh and bright immediately after applying but also in the mornings.

I like that fact that the product is very effective and doesn't require much effort to use. It works quickly and I like that I can use all over my face, even near my eyes. It removes all make-up, even hard to remove make-up like mascara. It means I don't need a separate eye make-up remover product.

I would prefer the Micellar Water to be a little more moisturising. I do think that I might prefer the variety for Dry and Sensitive skin even though I don't consider myself as having dry skin! This other variety contains argan oil to infuse your skin with moisture.

I would definitely buy this again and would recommend it to other ladies, especially to older ladies who want a smoother experience when it comes to make-up removal. I never ever have to pull or tug as I'm using this so my ageing skin is never compromised.
Price and Availability

I bought this from Boots and it was £1.25 but I have since seen this for as little as £1 at discounter stores. It can also be purchased at stores like Superdrug, Wilkinsons and supermarkets. Garnier also sell this in a 400ml sized bottle.

You can find out more about this product on the Garnier official website at:

www.garnier.co.uk

• BlurredLines published 03/04/2017
    Very interesting
  • Username_Unavailable published 03/04/2017
    VH! The Garnier range is great :)
  • chrisandmark_is_here published 02/04/2017
    Excellent - I'm not into the whole micellar thing though x

offers "Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water"