Review of "Garnier Olia"

published 26/01/2014 | euphie
Member since : 21/09/2012
Pro Leaves hair soft and managable, scent
Cons Not as vivid results as I had hoped
How easy is to apply?
How did the colour meet your expectations?

"Oil powered?"

I normally get my hair professionally highlighted, but after being let down by my hairdresser, I decided that I would take matters into my own hands. I have used the Olia dyes in the past, with good results, so I decided I would give this one another try. In fact, my profile pic was after I last used Olia, and my hair was so healthy and shiny looking. I also liked the idea that this dye isn't as harsh as some on the market, as my hair is quite dry and damaged. It contains plant oils, and has no ammonia, unlike some other brands on the market.. I chose the golden ash blonde shade, as my highlights are a platinum blonde colour, and I thought it would be light without being too bright.

Garnier's Claims

Garnier claim that Olia leaves hair 35% softer & 17% shinier without using harsh chemicals to achieve a good colour. The developer contains mineral oil and also sunflower, camellia, passion flower and white meadowfoam oil to help nourish and protect hair during colouring. Oils can penetrate the hair shaft, so in theory the results achieved by this dye should be better than some other brands of colourants.
In the Pack
In the pack you get
  • Developer cream
  • A teardrop shaped applicator bottle, with a tapered tip
  • Colourant cream
  • Multi application conditioner
  • Black gloves
In Use
This is very similar to any colourants that I have used in the past. It is essential to do a patch test aprox 48 hours before using this product. To do the skin test, take a cotton bud and apply around 1 – 2 cm (about the size of a 1p piece) to behind your ear. Apply a few top coats, letting the developer dry between each application. Leave the area for 48 hours, without washing it, touching it or covering it. If there is no reaction after 48 hours, proceed with the application of the colourant. This test must be done before each application, even if you have had no reactions in the past, as skin or the formulas of the colourant can change and cause reactions, which are fatal in the worst case scenarios.

Once you have done the patch test, the next state is to apply the colourant. The chunky bottles makes this easy to use, even if you're not the most supple handed. There is a handy perforated area in the box, which you push out, so you can set the applicator in this while you mix the ingredients together. This means there is less chance of knocking over the applicator and spilling the contents. Once you have mixed all the items together, shake the applicator, and then break off the top of the applicator bottle. Mine immediately shot out into my hand, so best to beware of shooting liquids. I was also very impressed with the gloves that I got in the box, they felt like 'proper' disposable gloves, not the flimsy easily torn gloves that I have got with other colourants.

Using the nib, I started by applying this to my roots, rubbing it in, and then moving into the areas that don't need as much concentration of colour. I find it easier to squeeze the product onto my hands and applying it that way, but you can also use the applicator for a more precise application.

The first thing that I noticed about this colourant was the lack of smell. Unlike some which have left me hardly able to breathe because of the ammonia, I couldn't smell anything (although I didn't actually take the time to sniff my hair!). It is fairly liquid and easy to apply as well, and doesn't get blocked in the applicator nib.

Leaving my hair for the 30 minutes that the instructions advised, I then washed my hair and applied the conditioner. I usually take a small drop of shampoo and rub it through my hair when rinsing it – that way I'm sure I have washed all the colourant out. It does say in the instructions to keep your gloves on, so that you will be wearing your gloves to rinse the colourant out – I didn't and as soon as the water hit my hair I understood that instruction – once mixed with water, the colourant takes on a slimy sticky consistency, although it is easily washed out. I did also find that once the colourant was washed out, my hair felt more manageable than usual – and I almost thought I didn't need to use the conditioner. I did apply the conditioner though, and left it for around 2 minutes before washing it out. The conditioner is a generous 54ml, and there is enough for around 3 – 4 applications, even for my long hair
My Thoughts

Blow drying my hair, I was amazed at the texture of my hair. While not perfectly soft, it seemed a lot softer than I have seen it in months, and the colour, although slightly darker than I was hoping for, is an even even colour, with lots of shine. My hair looks healthy and shiny, and I am very happy with the results of this hair colourant. It did take an application of violet shampoo to bring out the best in this colour, but for the price I paid and the results I got, I would recommend this hair colourant.

Reading reviews online, this seems to get a lot of negative reviews, but personally, although it's not as light a result as I would have liked, it seems to have left my hair looking and feeling better than it has in months, and not many colourants do that. Personally, I'd rather have hair a shade darker, and be able to style and manage it without it looking and feeling like straw.

This hair colourant is available from all good chemists for around £7, which I think is a fair price for a decent enough colourant. Even though the colour isn't quite as bright as I would have hoped, it has made a positive difference on the condition of my hair, and that was half the battle for me! I would definitely recommend this, just don't expect the results on the box (although that never happens me anyway!).

• GeorgieH1994 published 18/01/2016
    nice review
  • LiveMusicLoverLyn published 17/12/2015
    Nice!
  • Secre published 26/11/2015
    Could possibly do with the hair conditioning improvements myself!!

offers "Garnier Olia"