Review of "Garnier Olia"

published 11/11/2015 | Nymphypig
Member since : 14/05/2015
Pro Leaves hair in fab condition, no harsh smell
Cons Not the result I was expecting
How easy is to apply?
How did the colour meet your expectations?

"Not what I was expecting, but still hair to dye for..."

Oooh, lookie, even with my dark hair, I'm in for a big change

Oooh, lookie, even with my dark hair, I'm in for a big change

I've always been a fan of dying my hair - when I was younger, I used to go for the crazy colours - blue, green, I even had a camouflage pattern died on once. As I got older I went a little more traditional with whole head colouring, and generally stuck to dark shades. However, until recently, my hair hadn't been coloured at all in a few years as I grew out the old damaged hair and had the healthy hair cropped into a neat bob.

Although I liked having my hair in good condition again, I still wanted a colour more interesting than my natural dark brown, although ideally I wanted this with very minimal damage. For this reason I was very attracted to the Olia range, an ammonia free colourant that has a very high oil content (60%) that not only helps the colour set but also nourishes your hair. As well as changing my hair colour, the packaging also informed me that the dye would 'improve the visible quality of hair'. Having browsed the various shades available in my local supermarket, I opted for the shade 6.6 'Intense red' , having been absolutely delighted to look at the colour key on the back of the box and see dramatic results on even dark brown hair. This looked like it would give me the kind of bright, vibrant colour I wanted with no need to pre-lighten and with minimal chemical usage.
Price and Availability

My pack cost me £7 in my local Tesco, and the brand seems to be widely available - Superdrug for instance have it for £5.99, Amazon sell various shades starting at £3.50, and Boots have it at £6.99.

What is in the box?

- 60 ml colourant
- 60 ml developer creme
- 54ml conditioner
- Instruction leaflet
- Gloves

I did like that the conditioner supplied was large enough to be used multiple times - I have always found the conditioner that comes with hair dyes to be fantastic, so I felt really happy that I was going to be able to keep my hair in top condition for longer

Ingredients

Please see attached photo
In use

Having done the required patch test 48 hours before behind my ear and experienced no sensitivity, it was time to dye! Wrapping an old red towel round my neck, and forehead slathered generously in vaseline to avoid dying my skin, and popping on the included (rather small) black gloves, I got started.

Mixing the dye was simple - open up the applicator bottle, and (if you wish) slot it into the push out portion of the box which is designed to hold the bottle steady. Personally, I found this little hole a fail, and found it much easier just to mix things up on the bathroom windowsill. You need to squidge both the colourant and the developer cream into the bottle, pop the lid back on, and give it a vigorous shake until it's well mixed.

The dye should be applied to dry, unwashed hair, and I was quite surprised by how thin it was when it came out of the bottle. I was very glad I'd prepared myself with the towel as otherwise it would have gotten all over my clothes. Another surprise was the smell - much much more pleasant than any other dye I have ever used. There was a little bit of a chemical undertone to the smell, but it was a quite nice gentle floral scent with just a hint of nuttiness.

I did find that once the dye had been massaged into my hair, it was quite hard to brush through - I do generally like to brush through a couple of times after applications just to make sure the dye is spread evenly, but it proved impossible with this die which seemed to 'set' my hair. I gave up on the brushing and left the dye to settle in for the required 30 minutes.

After the time was up, I followed the manufacturers instructions to wet hair and work it into a lather before rinsing, and then rinsed out the dye.Now, with red dyes, the water never quite runs clean - red is one of the hardest colours to make 'stick' to the hair, and one of the highest maintenance colours in terms of how often you need to top up the colour - but once it was almost there, I used the conditioner to condition my hair, which left my hair feeling manageable and soft

Results

I went to look in the mirror - and I couldn't really see any difference. Not to worry, my hair was wet, and I figured once it was dry I would see more of a difference. And I did - My hair was glossy, shiny, and healthy looking, but it was decidedly NOT intense red. It had picked up some colour - certainly my grey hairs were actually red, but the rest of my hair was a dark brown with just a red tint to it. I'll be honest, it was a beautiful colour, but it wasn't the colour I'd been trying to get. There was a change, but it was very subtle (photos included with the review to help you judge) and although I liked it, I was disappointed as I had been going for a vibrant shade in anticipation of attending a local punk night.
Recommended

I'm in two minds about this. It left my hair absolutely gorgeous and healthy looking. And I did end up with a very nice colour - just not the one I was after. I'm sort of inclined to forgive this as my hair is dark brown, and even when looking at the colour key on the packet I was thinking 'That looks too good to be true'.

I am going to recommend this I think - although this shade was something of a disappointment for me, I think it would have worked wonderfully on someone of a lighter shade, and I would be happy to use the Olia range again to take my hair darker, as I think it would be great for that.

4 stars -- I ummed and aaahed about giving three, but honestly it's made my hair look so healthy I can't be stingy!

• sellerleygirl published 22/08/2017
    Superb review
  • ryeb published 13/11/2015
    I am glad it worked out well.
  • missrarr published 13/11/2015