Review of "Garnier Olia"

published 24/11/2015 | MrsWilkes
Member since : 23/11/2015
Wow I got a diamond! Thanks everyone for reads and rates! x
Pro Easy to use, oil based, nice fragrance, less ammonia
Cons Odd shaped bottle, dull colour, flat colour, faded quickly
How easy is to apply?
How did the colour meet your expectations?

"Garnier Olia is an interesting concept which falls short"

After having a slight hair crisis stemming from am impulsive weekend of trying to lift my level 2 hair to an 8 by using very harsh 40 volume bleach multiple times followed by many different dyes then waking up on the Monday desperate to look myself again, I needed a hair dye which would be less harsh and a definite fix. I opted to use Olia as in my mind the oils would help mask the damage as much as possible while giving me an easy at home colour to fix the patchy Barnet atop my head.

No stranger to diy box dyes I was expecting the usual routine of mixing the disgusting ammonia filled substances together and shaking, then applying haphazardly around the hair while praying to the God's of Hair for it to not go green. This formula is slightly different though, instead of squeezing the colour into the cream developer you normally get, you actually pour the two different oils into an independent pot all of its own. The oils actually smell quite nice, more floral than ammonia, and slightly fruity. You still do the usual shaking routine to mix it up, then apply carefully using the bottle provided. I really didn't like the shape of the bottle, it felt unnatural in the hand and not at all intuitive. But I plowed through my mountain of bleach damaged hair no trouble. Now I normally always leave hair dye on a lot longer than necessary, and this time was no exception. But always follow the instructions on the pack, 30 minutes is pretty standard.

The dye itself once on your hair does quite a magical thing, it sits for a while as it is, then starts to harden. This can be alarming, especially if you have piled all your hair on top of your head so when you go to wash it out make sure you get a palm or two of water and massage it with the gloves to soften the hair back up again. I found that the oils started coming out and running down my face towards the end which was strange, but not really a problem for me, just have a tissue ready.

Once it is time to wash out, as above, massage a little water in first to try and soften the hair back up, and then rinse out. I found it took a lot longer than other dyes to wash, and I did get a lot of colour running the days after when I washed my hair. It's recommended to not wet wash you hair for 3 days after dying, but that's an individual thing.

So the end result was fine. It wasn't perfect, the colour was even with no patching but the colour was very flat and dull. There was no high shine and deep colour you get with other dyes and the condition stayed pretty much the same, no worse and no better. I don't think I'll bother using it again as it is one of the more expensive on the market and I have had better results from other brands and this faded very quickly. I actually purchased this hair dye from Morrisons but because I have long hair I had to buy two boxes, which is recommend. Luckily it was on offer for two boxes for £10. Retails at £6 a box in most places.

• MsTricia published 03/12/2015
    well reviewed
  • danielclark691 published 27/11/2015
    vh
  • MrsWilkes published 26/11/2015
    Yes that's right lady, 40% volume peroxide used 4 times over a weekend. My head was terrible covered in burns, and it was all in vain as I did dye my hair dark a few days later as didn't like it!

offers "Garnier Olia"