Garnier Summer Body Moisturising Lotion

Garnier Summer Body Moisturising Lotion

Moisturiser - Body Lotion

Review of "Garnier Summer Body Moisturising Lotion"

published 24/05/2006 | Kazzay
Member since : 31/07/2003
Pro A healthy sun tanny glow that's natural.
Cons A disaster waiting to happen!

"Anyone for a Summer Body?"

Summer's just round the corner (a very long wet corner) and this year there seem to have been more adverts than usual for body lotions containing tanning agents in them to give you a healthy, safe sun tan even before you get outside.

Last year the idea of a cream that contained a little bit of tinted moisturiser ,which you could apply to your body and overtime build up an even tan, was quite novel. I duly tried one (Johnsons) but with quite disastrous results (I had differing shades of brown all over my legs and feet and stained my hands brown so it looked like I smoked a hell of a lot of ciggies); so I figured that the fact there seem to be more creams available this year would mean they've improved. I decided to try a different make this time and go for Garnier's Summer Body - a "kiss from the sun in your moisturiser". It's a daily moisturising lotion which they say will give your skin a:

"beautifully radiant and sun-kissed look all year round, in one simple step. Summer Body moisturises skin from morning to night, gradually building a light, natural looking tan. Summer Body is immediately absorbed without greasiness."

It contains camomile extract.

I bought a 250ml bottle to start with in Superdrug, they had an offer on them for £4.99. I believe it is usually a bit dearer. The bottle is a sort of soft orangey, yellow colour and reminds me of sun tan lotion bottles. When I open it and have a sniff it also smells gloriously like summer fruit and sun tans, a bit like shampoo. I am pleased with the smell because in my mind I think something will be good if I like the smell!

I showered before use and made sure my legs were hairless and smooth and applied the lotion after looking all over the bottle for instructions. They were very basic to say the least; "Apply to your body each day. Wash hands after use". The rest of the back of the bottle is taken up with marketing bumph. It doesn't distinguish which skin types are best to use it on or for how long. It states the lotion can be used by everyone and is different because it moisturises from morning to night and gradually develops a tan.

So I went ahead and slapped it on. I must add here that after my previous experience I was careful to try and put an even amount of cream on over all areas of my legs trying not to leave any gaps. However there are no instructions to this affect on the bottle. The cream felt and smelt lovely, it was quite thin and cream in colour. I am usually wary of new creams as I suffer from eczema and normally stick to my usual Dove for dry skin but I have not noticed any bad effects so far. I applied the cream in a downward motion, smoothing it down from my thighs to my feet. I must admit I did not pay such great attention to my feet. It soaked in fairly well to my skin and wasn't greasy so they're right about that in the description. It also left a lovely smell afterwards which was nice. I decided to only put it on my legs to begin with in case it went wrong but the following morning I was pleased to see that I wasn't suddenly patchy brown, in fact I could see very little difference. I began to see the difference after 2 consecutive nights use and was pleased with the results. I noticed where I hadn't paid such great attention on my feet they were a little bit patchy but my legs started to look nicely tanned overall.

So I was quite surprised after the 3rd night of this routine that I didn't look quite so naturally tanned! I'm not quite sure what happened when I put on the cream this last time, I probably wasn't paying enough attention, but the next day I looked quite patchy, especially around my knees which had much darker orangey areas than the rest of my legs. My feet looked very patchy as well with a small triangle of white on one foot! "Eek", I thought, oh well no one will notice! Ha, my partner noticed and my so did my sister so that went out the window. I must say though that my hands didn't suffer at all like they did last year from bad staining but it does say on the bottle to wash them straight after applying. So anyway, I gave it a bit of a rest from the cream what with the weather and all. The patchiness goes after a few washes but my legs are still looking tanned a week later and more smoothly so.

Interestingly, while researching this product on the Garnier web site I found they actually have fairly detailed instructions on there of how to use the cream!! On there is says to start at your feet and work up the leg, having taken a small amount of the cream and warmed it up in your hands first. Continue massaging the lotion in a large circular motion on stomach, hips and buttocks. These directions and further information can be found at: http://www.garnierbeautybar.co.uk/_en/_gb/
They also provide a Garnier Skincare Advice line on the Summer Body pages (have many people have had problems I wonder?): the number is: 0845 399 0204 (UK) or 1850 604 204 (ROI) or write to Garnier London W6 8AZ.

I'm not quite sure why they don't have these instructions on the bottle itself, they certainly need to consider this as it would help a lot. I have now used the cream following these instructions and found that my legs are less patchy on problem areas such as knees and so I'm going to carry on using it. I suggest anyone who wants to use it does have a look at the instructions above and be quite careful with the application. I don't know whether you can use the cream on your face as it doesn't say but I'm assuming not. There are certainly other products out there designed specifically for the more delicate facial skin. I like this product as it's the best one I've used yet of this type but I hope next year they will have improved them even more so there's less room for error. With me it can be fairly hit and miss depending on how much attention I'm paying so if you're quiote a careful, patient person I'd recommend it!

• grapesoda published 16/04/2007
    This sounds good too - I'm stuck between Doves one or this! x
  • susan1967 published 17/06/2006
    I'm addicted to this as I find its moisturising properties last all day as well as making me look heathier than normal. I find its a good idea to use a moisturising glove to stop your hands and nails staining. xx
  • Bouncebackability published 05/06/2006
    Really good review. I've used this it's really good, & at the moment half price in Boots. Claire x x