Gates Pro-TDX 350

Gates Pro-TDX 350

Scuba Dry Suits

Review of "Gates Pro-TDX 350"

published 26/07/2002 | dalg
Member since : 26/07/2000
Pro Never had any problems with produce at all
Cons Requires undersuit for insulation
How does it compare to similar products?

"Open the Gates on cold water diving"

When I decided to get more serious about diving, and dive in Scotland regularly, and not just when I was doing a course, I decided it was time to invest in a drysuit.

So, after raking through magazines, and phoning up loads of shops for brochures, I decided I liked the look of the Gates drysuits.

Since getting my Gates drysuit, I have been very pleased with it. It is a membrane type suit, and as such definately requires an undersuit to be worn with it. This isn't a problem, as there is a plethora of undersuits from loads of manufactures, and finding one the suits is not a problem.

I didn't have to trim the neck or wrist seals on the suit prior to use, but I think I've jsut been lucky, as most people who get a drysuit have to either trim or stretch the neckseal prior to use.

The inflator valve is a swivel, and there is the choice of cuff or auto dump. I opted for an auto dump which comes mounted on the shoulder. Some people have told me that cuff dumps are easier to use initially, as you just have to raise your arm to dump air, and not roll your shoulder to dump air, but after a while the shoulder dump becomes second nature, and you find yourself raising the shoulder to dump air, without thinking about it. Far easier in the long term than always having to raise an arm to dump air, but this is just a personal preference.

In the water, I have not had any problems with this suit at all, and dread ever having to replace it, as I am really happpy with it. My wife has tried membrane suits, and now has a crushed neoprene which she prefers (she doesn't need an undersuit, but has to carry a bit more weight as it is more bouyant).

One advantage that I didn't realize at the time is the colour. It's a sort of lime green and black. In poor viz, the lime green is pretty easy to see, and at night the same applies. Much as "techie-black" might be the staple of UK divers, I like this unexpected added feature.

If you were considering a membrane suit, I can definately recommend one from Gates. The only problem is that they do not sell direct to the public, and you will have to do some searching on the internet to find a local stockist.

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 28/03/2016
    Nice
  • wreckferret published 13/05/2003
    Nice recommendation, but bear in mind that the majority here are not wise to the way of the "dark side" of UK diving. You might want to explain some bits a bit more. Cheers, Simon
  • rustifer published 07/10/2002
    Good advice, however, I am a firm fan of the neoprene dry suit myself, having tried both kinds.