Gateway (Shop)

Gateway (Shop)

Review of "Gateway (Shop)"

published 17/06/2001 | Please_believe_me
Member since : 05/06/2001
Good
Pro Tech support
Cons Poor customer support and delivery
How well informed were the staff?
How helpful were the staff?
How efficient was the service?
How good is their helpline/technical support?
Overall, how satisfied were you with the service?

"Gateway to trouble"

SEE END FOR UPDATED SECTION

I got this new computer a couple of months ago; I decided to go with Gateway because they have a better reputation than most. I also looked at Novatech, but as I didn’t know much about them chose Gateway, as the prices for the spec I wanted were almost similar.

When I was first looking a getting a new PC, I was looking at gateways, £999.99 deal, but was persuaded to buy the one I now have for 1180 (ish). I didn’t need much persuading as the system had nearly double the spec for only £180 pounds. For the money I got 1Ghz athlon processor, 256MB RAM, 40Gb hard drive, tnt2 32MB video card, creative labs digital sound card, 17 inch monitor, printer, scanner and all the usually e.g. free software mouse keyboard etc…

OK this service was great, from the Gateway store in Crawley, but what do you expect from a sales team, they are always trained to be helpful and knowledgeable…

… On the other hand, the customer support team is just the opposite! Is it because they are Irish? No I don’t think so, I think they just don’t care. AFTER FIVE DAYS of having the computer, which actually took nearly a month to be put together (something which takes about 20 minutes) and then sent to me, the hard drive corrupted. I was already angry about the length of time it had taken to be delivered, but when this happened I was furious. Again I spoke to someone helpful, this time tech support. After going through many things on the computer, most of which I had tried in my own time, I was told a new one would have to be sent to me. I was given the option of having one of their engineers to install it, but I declined because I was capable of doing it myself, and I thought it would take longer. I was told I was to have it within 4 days. Yeah right! It was nearly 3 weeks later. In the mean time I had contacted Gateway to ask where it was, and what was going on. I was actually told it had been put on special delivery, and I would get it on Friday. When Friday came I stayed at home all day (I should have been elsewhere) guess what it never came! I wasted a day at home, and gateway didn’t care, I phoned them up and they said it hadn’t even left; so then I was absolutely fuming.

I wrote to Gateway, about all the incidents and they offered my 50p compensation. What in insult, what can I do with 50p?

Other things I don’t like about gateway is they’re ordering tracking system never lets me in even though I have tried it on my 4 different orders. The customer support service is very poor. AND the time taken to deliver goods is CRAP.

I’m not sure if I would use Gateway again, but now I am settled down and the computer works it is fine am I am very happy with it. Well worth the money.

UPDATED*******
Well ok, Gateway have now proved to me that they can actually deliver there products within a short time, although it was only a mouse so it probably didn't have to go through their accounts department. So heres the story, My mouse started playing up (you know the score, you move the mouse but the cursor on the screen is jerky). I thought I would ask Gateway to send me a new one seeing as I still have nearly 3 years warranty left, I may as well use it. AGAIN the tech support person was great. He asked me if I had tried to clean it, I said yes, (little did he know that i was just testing there service, for the purpose of CIAO :-)). I was again told it would be delivered within 3-4 days, I said to myself 'yeah right'. BUT I was suprised that on the 4th day a knock and my door and a new pet mouse had arrived! JUST one thing I want to know WHY couldn't they send my new hard drive quicker! I wonder if I keep ringing and asing for a new one, they will send it.

Anyone for a FREE microsoft scroll mouse? I am taking orders NOW.********

• offy published 01/10/2001
    I'm looking to buy my mum a PC and she lives in Southern Ireland. I notice you mention this company is from Ireland - Northern or South? Do they have a website?
  • so3003 published 14/09/2001
    Well I have to be honest - I have nothing but praise for Gateway, and I was most upset earlier this week to learn that Gateway are to cease trading in the UK! A bit poo I'm sure you'll agree.
  • Gwenick published 21/06/2001
    Great op.

Product Information : Gateway (Shop)

Listed on Ciao since: 22/07/2000