General: Bahrain

General: Bahrain

Review of "General: Bahrain"

published 01/10/2009 | Abbey11
Shopping
Nightlife
Ease of getting around

"Nice place"

I visited Bahrain in 2002 and met my other half who was on R&R from posting in Kuwait.

The holiday got off to a good start, I sat next to a lady on the plane from Amsterdam who was from Dallas and we also travelled together on the way back. I was nervous travelling alone but found myself in good company. She was visiting her partner who was on holiday from working in Saudi Arabia.

I liked the place, but found it a culture shock. I stayed at the Holiday Inn, which was in the financial district I think. The hotel was very nice and I enjoyed spending time by the pool in the daytime.

I made sure to cover up my shoulders and legs when venturing outside of the hotel to observe local customs. I confess I wasn't prepared for being stared at so much, I guess my blonde hair and blue eyes didn't help! I found this quite uncomfortable.

Overall I enjoyed myself, my partner and I visited the gold souk where he bought my engagement ring. We had a lovely meal at a Chinese restaurant that had little moats around the seating area. I wish I could remember what it was called. On the way back we had a great taxi driver who gave us a quiz and if we got the questions right we could 'have a sweetie'! We also visited the Bahrain museum which was interesting.

• TheHairyGodmother published 02/10/2009
    Sorry but much more information is required to achieve higher ratings. If you add anything to this review in terms of additional detail and opinion, please do not hesitate to drop a quick message in my guestbook and I will come back and re-rate :)

Product Information : General: Bahrain