General: Malta

General: Malta

Review of "General: Malta"

published 23/03/2003 | JaneMcd
Member since : 15/01/2003
Pro Beautiful architecture, wonderful weather, lovely people
Cons You either love it or hate it - and usually for the same reasons!

"Lovely Malta"

As can be seen from the number and frequency of our visits, we are Maltaphiles. We love to get some sun in the worst part of the winter and Malta hits the spot every time.

We stay at the Phoenicia just outside Valetta's city walls and love its 1930s faded luxury and impeccable service - another world. It's worth having a harbour view room as you can see half the island from the balcony.

The island has a fleet of vintage buses - all beautifully cared for, cheap to use and running regularly to all parts of the island. Having said this, we always rent a car and take a taxi from the airport (6LM).

M'dina, the silent city, is one of my favourite places with breathtaking view of almost the whole of the island from its bastions. It also has the Fontanella tea rooms which have the most mindblowing selection of homemade cakes you can possibly imagine.

Valetta is gorgeous from the Sliema seafront and we love the walk from Les Lapins Hotel in Taxbiex round the waterfront to Sliema as the views of Valetta's mediaeval Italianate architecture are constantly changing. The harbour boat tour is brilliant value for money and well worth doing.

We álways gain weight in Malta, apart from the aforesaid cakes, there is also Malta's speciality pastizzi - puff pastry filled with ricotta - and one a day is the minimum dose! Malta's soft drink, Kinnie, which you can buy nowhere else in the world, is not be missed.

Shopping isn't too good - the exception being M'dina Glass where you can watch the glass being blown and I defy anyone not to come away having indulged in a colourful - but expensive - piece. Nearby is the Aviation Museum which is a real treat - we go every time to find out what developments have been made by the dedicated enthusiasts since our last visit.

We spent ten days in Malta this year and the extra three made a huge difference. We always return totally chilled out with our batteries recharged. The things people complain about - shabby buildings, ancient buses, poor roads - are exactly the things that make Malta enchanting for us. I do hope they won't change.

By the way, don't stay at Bugibba or Qwara - they're Malta's Blackpool - Sliema is ideal but my husband is besotted with The Phoenicia!

• leannetaylor published 20/07/2003
    ive been to malta 7 times now and im only 17. i think its an absolutely amazing place and somewhere id certainly consider living when im a lot older. The only bad thing i can think of is the fact they constantly have fireworks which sound like the beginning of world war 3! I stayed at the fortina in sliema the past 2 times and it is absolutely beautiful, and if its nightlife ur after then i thought St Julians was pretty good, although its quite small and i dont really think malta is the kind of place to go if u want to party :O)
  • wardenblw431 published 06/05/2003
    Have often thought about going to Malta. It looks really beautiful. Maybe one day..... Jules x
  • mrpaella published 19/04/2003
    I have never been to Malta. Sounds like a nice place to visit. Thanks for youe comments on my Morgan Hotel op. I am glad that you liked your stay there. Happy Easter!...Paul

Product Information : General: Malta