General: Turks and Caicos

General: Turks and Caicos

Review of "General: Turks and Caicos"

published 12/06/2007 | Ann1eS
Member since : 05/09/2006
Pro Turquoise seas, white sands, fabulous hotel, food to die for
Cons You get fat! Heat can be overpowering. Advantages far outweigh any drawbacks
Sightseeing
Shopping
Nightlife
Ease of getting around

"Wonderful, wonderful Turks and Caicos"

How do I start? My brother got married here in 2001, my Mother, eager to attend paid for me to go with her. It was one of the most outstanding experiences of my life.

We flew via the Bahamas where, when I went, there was a two hour stopover. Unfortunately we could not disembark there. Then we flew, fairly low, over a turquoise sea and small islands with white sandy beaches. Disembarkation at Turks and Caicos was quite strange, it is a fairly new resort. We exited the plane down steps on a very small runway - the wings overhung the grass. And boy, was it hot! Customs was not in an air conditioned part of the small airport buildings and I thought I might wilt! We were to stay in the Sandals resort, an oasis in somewhat of a desert. A taxi took us there, something of an experience as there are few cars and many quite mad drivers.

The resort has a huge hotel complex with luxurious rooms, kingsize beds and even bigger televisions. Our stay was 'all-in', we did not have to pay for any of our food or drinks. Inside the resort there are beautiful flowers and lawns. There is an enormous swimming pool with central bar. One can eat almost any type of food, Chinese, Italian, Sushi. The food is amazing. Then at one of the many bars it is quite strange to order a round of drinks and not have to pay! Also, as it is 'all-in' they do not appear to use measures. I will admit to, one morning, not being able to manage breakfast due to a slight overdose the night before.

Sandals has a private beach and clear amazingly blue seas. There are loungers with shades and snorkelling gear can be hired. The fishes are amazing. Also, there are small boats for hire and the chance to see bigger fish, even dolphins. The wedding day was wonderful. A small, very informal service on the sands - we all wore sarongs, followed by a wonderful meal outside the beachside French restaurant. A small band played throughout the evening. We then took our champagne and having spent the entire day in swimwear, we headed for one of the outdoor jacuzzis where we stayed until the wee, small hours of the morning, soaking in the warm waters.

At the time, much of the island was under-developed. Here and there are large, recently constructed houses with wonderful gardens. However, the barren, sun-soaked, windswept coasts had their own beauty. It was possible to pick up some fantastic shells, like conch, just there for the taking.

We tended to head for the beach in the mornings after breakfast, followed later by aperitifs, lunch then a siesta. This last really is necessary and seems to be de riguer as the midday/afternoon sun can be a little too much. The air conditioned rooms are a sanctuary in the heat.

Adjacent to the main island are many smaller islets, some of which are owned by major film stars. As we left, we walked out to our aircraft alongside Bob Hoskins and his family. I have since heard of many famous people holidaying on Turks and Caicos.

I had such an amazing, albeit short time here. It would be my dream to return. I could not find fault with anything at all (except my Mother did get on my nerves a bit towards the end - we were the only 'gooseberries'). I fervently hope that some day I will go back, with the love of my life (I have got one) and experience this marvellous place once more.

• llbcollins published 20/08/2008
    Yours is a lovely review of the island. I spent a few months working in the Turks and Caicos. Very beautiful turqoise seas, a lot of it is barren and under developed which is part of the beauty of the Island. Think the conch is protected and I don't think the shells are for the taking anymore.
  • HotBabes published 12/06/2007