Review of "Genus DU1 DAB Upgrade"

published 31/08/2007 | moosemac
Member since : 04/06/2007
Pro Upgrade your old stereo into DAB, quality sound at a reasonable price.
Cons Yet another remote control
Sound Quality
Radio Quality
Ease of Use
Look & Design
Instructions

"Genus..... Genius!"

I bought the Genus after researching into the best options for converting my existing sound system into a DAB radio, the Genus seemed a great solution both on price, size and the supposed easy set up.

I ended up buying one from an Ebay retailer for the fraction of the retail price, it cost me just £15.00 for a new boxed Genus. Bargain!

It was extremely easy to set up, easy to follow instructions, another plug and play item, the sort of technology I love. It sits neatly on the top of my stack system but there is enough cable to position it elsewhere away from your speakers. In the box you get a power cable and a small wire aerial like you get on a bedside clock radio, a pocket sized remote control and instruction manual.

The set up is as simple as I was led to believe. I plugged it into the back on my stereo systems amplifier in order to make use of my large speakers. Next I attached the little aerial and power cord. Once switched on the scroll menu let me set the clock and next you get it to scan the stations automatically with a click of the remote. When it's scanned you can arrange the stations easily into your own top list so they relate to the numbers on the remote control you want them to, it saves you trawling through stations you never listen to every time you switch it on. When you switch on it will bring up the station name (this will be the last station you listened to before you last turned it off). As you flick through it will list the station names and when you settle on a station it will display the clock and the station name.

The sound quality will depend on the quality of the speakers you put it though, for me it was excellent, crystal clear. I've owned it for nearly a year now and I've not had a problem with it, even at it's full retail price I would say it's good value for money but there are a number of retailers that sell the product via Ebay so have a scoot around before buying.

The look of the unit is ok, personally I think it's a bit dated in style, I'm a more simple and sleek design person (B&O), this is rounded silver and black plastic but it still looks neat, it's all a matter of personal preference and it does the job it was intended for, and very well... which is most important.

• martint1983 published 31/08/2007
    Sounds like a bargain. great review
  • orrin31 published 31/08/2007
    Good review - £15 is really cheap and has interesting features, but I don't like the design - Ian
  • Expired-Account published 31/08/2007
    Sounds good but not for me just yet, very helpful