Giggles Play & Adventure, Lancaster

Review of "Giggles Play & Adventure, Lancaster"

published 17/07/2017 | sellerleygirl
Member since : 15/02/2015
♬ •♩ All we need is rates!! •♩ Everybody!!•♩ All we need is rates!! ♩ •♬
Pro Great value and lots of great equipment
Cons None
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Giggling good fun!!"

Giggles Play and Adventure, Lancaster

Introduction

A couple of weeks ago it was my son in law’s 30th birthday; as he and the family were coming to spend the weekend with us my daughter got him a tour of the Lancaster Brewery (his second in a few years – but he does love it!!). The tour was for two people and included 3 pints each of the Lancaster ale and a lunch. So, I took my daughter and son in law to the Brewery (obviously no driving for either of them after 3 pints!) and I took the opportunity to take their 6-year-old daughter to the nearby soft play area – Giggles Play and Adventure.
For some reason, this was the first time I had ever been to this play area, despite visiting the Leisure Park frequently with grandchildren, it won’t be the last!!

Where is it?

The play centre is based on Lancaster Leisure Park, which is just half a mile from Lancaster city centre, and close to Williamson Park. The Leisure Centre was originally the home of Hornsey Pottery and is now home to the huge GB Antiques, (England’s biggest indoor antiques and furniture centre that has been featured on programmes like Antique Road Trip), the Country Style Meats Farm Shop and Restaurant, the Original Factory Shop, Turning Point Dance Studio, Lancaster Brewery, Marshalls Self Drive and Cheryl Mulqueeney portrait photographer as well as the Giggles Play and Adventure area.
There is no admission charges to visit the shops and brewery however there is a small charge for entrance to the antiques centre, the children’s play area and for guided brewery tours.
There is loads of free parking and all the attractions are wheelchair friendly, with ramps where needed and very few steps; there is are free toilet facilities on site.
What is there?

Hidden away at the back of the Leisure Park, Giggles is a huge indoor soft play area and party venue for children complete with an excellent menu, good clean toilets and baby change facilities and lots of room for adults to sit and watch. This excellent family run play barn houses three different play frames: a huge one for older children with lots of slides, tunnels etc and exactly the same in miniature for toddlers and a wonderful designated baby area which includes balance bar sensory equipment and swing. There is also an enclosed sports area - with large footballs, basket balls etc, climbing walls, tunnels, slides, bridges and a safe, separate flat area for go-karts, trikes, ride ons and baby walkers.
The seating is arranged so that parents can sit back and relax while they can easily keep their eyes on the children and enjoy some of the excellent food and drink available

The local family business that run this establishment give this ‘Mission Statemen’:

“Our aim is to deliver a first class, exciting, clean and above all safe environment within which Children can play and seek adventure whilst the Adults enjoy watching their children play. We want you to enjoy the experience and hope that Giggles Play and Adventure provides a facility for both young and old”

And believe me, they do!!

More Information

Eating

Giggles café provides freshly made coffees and handmade cakes, cold drinks, snack, ice creams and sweets as well as a healthy and nutritious menu throughout the day. Fantastic barista facilities with speciality teas, hot chocolate and coffee (decaf also available).

Toilet

Disabled toilets and baby changing facilities plus toddler sinks and steps provided.

Gift shop

Shop sells snacks, ice cream and slush drinks, plus socks from baby to adult sizes for playing on the soft play area – should you forget your own.

Baby food facilities

Baby food can be heated in our kitchen and hot water provided for bottles.

Parking

There is plenty of free parking, either on the main Leisure Park car park or directly outside Giggles.

Wi Fi

Wi-Fi is available free of charge; the code is e3bd43263c

When is it open?

Giggles is open on Monday to Friday from 09:30-17:00 (with extended opening to 18:00 for parties)
On a Saturday, it is open 10:00-17:00 (with party slots available from 10:00-12:00, 12:30-14:30, 15:00-17:00) and on Sundays from 10:00-15:30 (with an ‘exclusive, party option 16:00-18:00) – telephone 01524 542856 for more details on parties.
What will it cost me?

Under 5 months are free if attending with a paying child (otherwise £1.50 at all times) and all adults are free at all times.
Apart from that the prices are:
Monday–Friday £1.50 (up to 1) £3.00 (2 -3) £3.50 (3+), Saturday, Sunday and School Holidays £1.50 (up to 1) £3.50 (2 -3) £4.00 (3+)

The time is unlimited unless very busy, when sessions may be restricted to a two hour stay. Last admission 1 hour before closing time.

There is also a ‘Meal Deal; available; the Meal Deal includes -: Stay and Play and a children’s meal for just £5.50 per child.

The children’s meal consists of:

HOT MEAL

Beans
Carrots

Children's drink

CHILDREN’S SANDWICH DEAL
Choose between ham, cheese spread, tuna mayonnaise, jam or egg mayonnaise
Bag of Pom Bears (salted or cheese & onion)
Yoghurt or raisins

Children's drink
Eating at Giggles

There is an excellent menu at Giggles, with breakfast served until 11. 30 am (although the breakfast buns are served all day). All tastes are catered for and the prices are very reasonable; form £5 to just over £1, there are hot meals, snacks, salads, homemade soup etc.
The full menu can be seen here:

There is also a good selection of barista styled coffee at reasonable prices from £1.50 - £2.40. For the children, if they want a hot drink they offer a ‘Giggles Mini Giraffe Treat - warm milk or hot chocolate served with mini muffin – just £1.00 for milk and £1.10 with hot chocolate.
The full drinks menu can be seen here:
My Opinion

As my son in law’s brewery tour was for 12.00 noon, I decided to get the meal deal entrance for Olivia – fo for £5.50 I got her entrance to the play area and her lunch (she had 2 sausages, mashed potato, baked bean and a drink of juice.)
When you enter you sign in the child’s name and age and then (if you are eating or not) you are given a spoon with a number on. This spoon is then put on your table – reserving that table for you as long as you are there.
The staff were extremely friendly, and it was obvious that safety and the children’s welfare were very important.; the gate into the play area was kept locked at all time and there was a member of staff on duty all the time. It was my first time at the play centre, and the young lady on the reception desk talked me through the admission and explained about the meal deal, she also set up a tab on my debit card for me.
Although it was very busy and there was a party going on in a side room, we found a table close to the play area, where I could sit and keep an eye on Olivia as she played. The tables were clean – the staff constantly going around and cleaning them as soon as a party left.

Working in a similar service industry, myself and my wife were extremely impressed with the whole experience from quality of facilities, cleanliness, safety and service. Wished our local regular 'go to' playcentre was run this efficiently! We spent just over two hours there and loved every minute.

This is the best play centre I have ever been in; it is HUGE and plenty for the slightly older child to do as well as catering for babies and toddlers. Olivia loved the sports are, and spent a good deal of timer playing ‘basketball’; although I had no tiny ones with me I was especially impressed with the designated baby area, I was wishing I could kidnap a baby to play on it with them!
As my daughter and son in law were getting lunch with their brewery tour, I decided to get my lunch at Gigglers – I had a lovely jacket potato with chilli and cheese and a little salad for £4.60 – very nice it was too!!
We stayed about two hours, but we weren’t rushed out at all, despite it being quite busy – Olivia would have liked to have stayed longer, but we had to go and meet her mum and dad (I bribed her out with offer of a toy from the Factory Shop!!)

This may have been my first visit, it will NOT be my last and I do recommend it to anyone in the area.
Getting There

The Leisure Park is very easy to find, and is just 4 miles from the M6, exit 33 or 34. There are plenty of brown leisure signs in all directions to the park.
The easiest way to get to the Leisure Park – and consequently Giggles Play and Adventure- is to drive and follow the brown Leisure Park tourist signs however for visitors to the brewery that would like to partake of some of their delicious beers there are two options – train or ‘Shank’s Pony’ – i.e. walk!!
There are plenty of trains for North or South to Lancaster Station then a taxi ride is about 10 -15 minutes’ drive up to the Brewery. However, if you would like to be more energetic you could take the 30 – 40 minutes’ walk from the city centre (WARNING: DOES INVOLVE A VERY STEEP HILL!)
To walk from the Town Hall in Dalton Square take a left up Nelson Road; walk past the Cathedral and then follow Wyresdale Road round to the right. Walk past the edge of Williamson’s Park until you see the entrance to the Leisure Park. I can guarantee a pint of Lancaster ale will go down VERY well after that walk!

Contact Details

LA1 3LA

Tel: 01524 542856
Web site: http://www.gigglesplayandadventure.co.uk

In Conclusion

I can’t believe that it was the first time I visited her last week. It is a lovely place for children, especially on a wet day, the play barn is light and spacious with loats of tables for adults to sit and watch the children, and to have a drink, snack or meal. The play equipment is great for kids of all ages, with excellent separate toddler and baby areas. The menu and food are varied and not pricey at all and the staff are friendly and helpful. All in all, this is great value and I will definitely be back.
Pictures

1. The baby area
2. The ‘sports’ area
3. Tubes and slides
4. Climbing fun
5. More tubes and slides
6. A refreshing slush to cool her down!!
7. My lunch
8. Olivia’s Daddy after his brewery tour!!!

Thanks for reading I do hope that this review has been of some help!