Gillette Satin Care With A Touch Of Olay Sensitive Shave Gel

Gillette Satin Care With A Touch Of Olay Sensitive Shave Gel

Review of "Gillette Satin Care With A Touch Of Olay Sensitive Shave Gel"

published 20/03/2017 | gothic_moon
Member since : 23/09/2005
www.invisiblyme.com // facebook.com/invisiblymeblog
Pro Pleasant fragrance, not irritating, leaves smooth soft, effective, fairly long lasting
Cons Pricey if not on offer, can be messy/problematic with the canister
How does it affect your skin?
How easy is to apply?
Does it smell good?
Quality of shave

"A Satin Shave In A Swirl Of Violet"

Soft & smooth skin with Olay.

Soft & smooth skin with Olay.

Those who shave may know the futility of the experience at times, and the importance of finding a decent razor and gel to pair it with. Gillette are one of the bigger brands when it comes to both, and I have a reasonable amount of trust in their products being both effective and good quality. There’s a good choice when it comes to their shaving gels; I used to use their Sensitive Skin version but now I’m quite keen on their Touch Of Olay range for something a little more luxurious for what is otherwise a rather boring chore to undertake whilst in the shower.

Gillette’s Satin Care With A Touch of Olay comes in two varieties : Vanilla Cashmere, and Violet Swirl. I wasn’t even aware of this until researching current prices for this review, so now I’m quite tempting to try the vanilla! This write-up is for Violet Swirl, which can be found quite readily in various supermarkets, some discounters such as Savers, and health & beauty stores.

… Claims …

This shaving gel is designed to allow you to get a close shave, whilst also moisturising your skin : “For the perfect shave, use with Venus with a Touch of Olay Violet Swirl shave gel, which contains 4x more moisturisers to help protect skin against moisture loss while shaving.”

… To Use …

Remove the lid, and press down the pump dispenser to get a medium-size blob of gel on your fingertips. Smooth the gel over wet skin and with a gentle rub you can get up a soft lather ready for shaving. Gillette do suggest that, for best results, you pair it with the Venus Swirl razor. I don’t use that, I actually use a men’s Gillette razor these days having given up on the gunky ‘moisturising’ and expensive women’s ones! In addition, they suggest soaking the hair for 2-3 minutes with warm water before lathering up the gel onto the skin; this makes sense to soften hair and open pores.

… In Use …

I’m a shower kind of a gal so I do apply this after a few minutes of hot water. I find the cap comes off and replaces securely, and the the pump dispenser is easy to use. An adequate amount is dispensed each time, rather than too much, so this works well. The bugbear I have with the dispenser, which I’ve found with all other pressuresed canisters of Gillette shave gel, is what happens towards the end of the product; it somehow seems to stop working! That aside for now, getting the gel out gets a thumbs up.

The gel itself fits the description on the can. It’s a light-ish violet in colour, which goes whiter after it’s lathered, and smells of Olay. It’s a very pleasant, slightly sweet, feminine scent that I can’t put my finger on other than to say it’s Olay-esque. I like it and it makes the shaving experience a more positive one. I wouldn’t say the fragrance lingers that long, however, so after the shower I only really notice a slight edge of Olay.

The gel smooths over skin softly and easily to create a gentle yet sufficient lather. You don’t want a load of lather anyway so you needn’t use a load of gel per application otherwise your razor will never make it through the rising tide of the stuff. I’ve found this to be pretty effective for shaving, allowing the razor to glide over well and yet shave closely to the skin. The gel definitely helps with reducing irritation from shaving, so it gets a thumbs up there. The gel washes off easily afterwards without leaving any stickiness or residue.

I’ve not noticed any adverse effects from this, I’m pleased to report. It seems gentle enough for my sometimes sensitive skin using this is the places that are the usual suspects, including legs and occasionally bikini line and underarms. My skin afterwards is left feeling smooth and soft, so it lives up to the claim in my experience of not stripping your skin of moisture and even adding a little to it.

The only real downsides, as I see them, are the the issue the pump towards the end of the product’s life and the mess; the gel and lather can build up inside and around the cap. Ideally, you need to dry the canister after use and store outside of the shower to prevent rust on the metal around the sides and an unsightly stain on the shower floor.

… Value For Money …

I do think the RRP is quite high, though I’ve never paid that much for it. You can often find it on sale at half price, or maybe a little over, or for around the £2 mark as the normal price in a discounter store. It obviously depends how much you use and how often as to how long it will last, but I’ve found that not all that much is needed per application because you lather it a little, so it lasts reasonably well. At £2 or thereabouts, I would say it’s good value for money and would recommend giving it a go.

… Overall …

No shaving gel is going to be extra special, but this does have a very pleasant scent and appearance. It’s also effective at providing you with a close shave while not causing any irritation. The end result is smooth, soft skin, and when on offer around the £2 I’d certainly recommend it.

200ml retails for around £3.99 but is often found in cheaper stores, such as Savers, or on sale in supermarkets and beauty retailers. Currently on offer at £1.97 (Superdrug).

• Chippytarka published 14/05/2017
    Great write upx
  • euphie published 10/04/2017
    vh :o)
  • DodoRabbit published 06/04/2017
    vh

offers "Gillette Satin Care With A Touch Of Olay Sensitive Shave Gel"