Gilmore Girls - Series 1 (Box Set) (DVD)
Set in the small town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut, GILMORE GIRLS is a charming television drama that tells the story of a thirty-something single mot...
16 reviews from the community
Review of "Gilmore Girls - Series 1 (Box Set) (DVD)"
The Positive Review:The Gilmore Girls tells the story of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, a mother and daughter from the picturesque and rather quirky Stars Hollow. Lorelai, originally from an upper class family, left her home and escaped her parents when she fell pregnant with Rory at 16 but now, sixteen years later, her parents have made an unwelcome entrance back into her life.
I'm a sixteen year old girl myself and I have to say that I loved this dvd series. It is incredibly humorous, (I spent a lot of my time wishing I had Lorelai's wit and some of the characters are just hilarious), heartfelt, (the relationship between mother and daughter is developed fantastically), it has drama, romance, it is even, dare I say it, motivational to see how hard Rory tries to achieve her dreams of going to Harvard.The show is essentially about mother and daughter but it is peppered by the fantastic supporting characters. The growing relationship with the grandparents is an important one, as is the relationship with best friends (accident prone, food obsessed Suki, poor Lane who tries constantly to evade her mother's attempts at arranging marriages with celibate, strictly religious, future Korean doctors). Add in the men of their life , the crazy neighbours, the competitive backstabbing school friends along with a constantly exciting, well written script with a catchy soundtrack and you have the perfect dvd series.
Although primarily aimed at females, this is essentially a show for everyone and perfect for the family. Laugh, cry, laugh again as you watch the Gilmore girls struggle and quip their ways through their lives, they are role models without being perfect but most of all, they are excellent entertainment.About the DVD:
- There are six discs, with 3 or 4 episodes on each disc
- The special features are on the last disc and perhaps it is just me, but some of the special features that are advertised on the box do not appear to be there. I will have to look again sometime, but an extra titled 'Gilmore-isms' is certainly missing from the last disc.
- The theme tune gets to be very annoying after a while, especially when you have to listen to it 21 times
- The dvd does not give away vital parts of the plot like, for example, the dvd for the O.C does (it shows scenes that will occur before you even select an episode which give a big part of the storyline away)
- I was trying to persuade my friend to watch the Gilmore Girls. She took one look at the cover and sniffed 'it looks very American and the mother looks too perfect' Perhaps the cover is not the best thing for a UK audience, and yes, Lorelai's hair is always perfect but then, isn't the hair perfect in every show?
-As already mentioned, Lorelai, the mother is very witty, humourous etc. Sometimes, she is a bit TOO humorous, and you feel as if she cannot say anything serious. This does make her slightly annoying at times but fortunately, she is meant to be like this since she annoys the other characters also. At least it shows good characterisation with characters who are not completely perfect.
- Rory's dedication to work is slightly unnerving at times (and yes, although motivational) she still manages to have quite a good social life whilst completing very demanding essays.
- Perhaps not so motivational is that the Gilmore girls live off junk food and are still very thin. Makes girls across the country annoyed.
- There is the typical stereotype of the ugly best friend. Therefore, Lorelai's best friend is Suki and whilst attractive, she is also overweight. Additionally, Rory's best friend, whilst being attractive, wears glasses. Now where have I seen that before?
-Minor, minor quibble. In one of the earlier episodes, Lorelai complains that she thinks she's put her contacts in back to front. In one of the last episodes, someone asks if she wears contacts and she says no. Hmmm.
-You do wonder just how Lorelai managed to become so self-sufficient after running away from a life where servants waited on her hand and foot.
Product Information : Gilmore Girls - Series 1 (Box Set) (DVD)
Manufacturer's product descriptionSet in the small town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut, GILMORE GIRLS is a charming television drama that tells the story of a thirty-something single mother, Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham), and her precocious teenage daughter, Rory (Alexis Bledel), as they navigate their way through the shifting tides of day-to-day life. Lorelai and Rory's relationship is one built out of friendship as much as it is based on maternal love, which allows for more drama and depth than most family shows. This release is a perfect way for fans to remember why they fell in love with the show in the first place, and allows latecomers to discover Lorelai and Rory for the very first time.
Listed on Ciao since: 07/02/2007