Gilmore Girls - Series 1 (Box Set) (DVD)

Gilmore Girls - Series 1 (Box Set) (DVD)

Review of "Gilmore Girls - Series 1 (Box Set) (DVD)"

published 20/11/2016 | stephbond1989
Member since : 11/02/2015
Pro A lovely heart warming show
Cons A little slow to start
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"If you're gonna throw your life away, he better have a motorcycle"

Gilmore Girls Series One

== Introduction ==

The Gilmore Girls is an American TV series which began in the year 2000 and was shown in the UK on Nickelodeon, it ran for 7 seasons and finally stopped airing in 2007. Netflix, this year (2016) have announced that the Gilmore Girls are coming back to our screens as a Netflix Original series, which is set 10 years after we last saw Rory and Lorelai. Since this new show has been announced, the full series has been uploaded to Netflix for our binge watching pleasure. I was just 11 when the Gilmore Girls first aired, and I was a HUGE fan of the show, I watched the series religiously until around series 4 or 5 when I was well into my teenage years, but then I watched the final 3 series around 6 years ago after wondering what on earth ever happened in the show.

Once I heard about the new series, I of course had to begin watching the show again from Series 1, and have for the last week been binging on the first 21 episodes!

The show was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino after she visited the small town of Washington, Connecticut where everybody knew everybody. It gave her a great idea for a story, and so during the trip she came up with the concept and even a partial script for Gilmore Girls.

Storyline

The Gilmore Girls is set in the small town of Stars Hollow, just outside of Hartford, Connecticut and is based around the lives of mother and daughter, Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. Lorelai comes from a very rich family who are all country clubs and golfing, but she never felt she fit in living that life, and at 16, she became pregnant with her daughter, Lorelai the second (Rory), bringing shame and disgrace to the family. Refusing to marry Christopher, Rory’s father, was the final nail in the coffin and off she fled to Stars Hollow. The show is set 16 years later, Lorelai now runs the Independence Inn, and the series begins with Rory starting an expensive private school, Chilton. Lorelai and Rory have the perfect mother/daughter relationship with the perfect balance of discipline and friendship.

When Lorelai realises that she cannot afford the expensive Chilton tuition fees, she goes to her estranged parents for help, who insist on seeing their daughter and Granddaughter for a Friday night dinner each week in return for their financial help.
This is where the series begins. We quickly learn that Rory and Lorelai are happy, yet disorganised, they live in a small, cluttered house, and are both addicted to their daily coffee, which they often get at the small café in the town, Luke’s.

The first series, which consists of 21 episodes, is really a scene setter where we learn about the dynamics of the relationships between the main characters and what has happened in their pasts to get them to where they are. By the time we are around half way through the season, the story starts to evolve with new characters introduced; and major changes going on in the girl’s lives. Whilst that may make the show sound a little slow, and maybe boring, this is not the case at all, each episode has its share of funny and heart-warming moments, and you will find yourself drawn into the character’s lives.

Cast & Characters

The cast consists of some well-known names, though when the series began, these actors were fairly unknown. The two main characters in the show are Rory and Lorelai Gilmore. Rory is played by Alexis Bledel, who I am sure most of you will have heard of, or seen in other shows and movies. Whilst Bledel has shot to fame since appearing in Gilmore Girls, this was in fact her very first acting role; before this, she was in college and doing some small modelling jobs. Considering this is her first ever role, and she was a mere 19 years old when she was playing Rory, she plays the role very well, especially considering the script is very fast paced (apparently, regular TV shows are around 50 pages of script per episode, whilst the Gilmore Girls averaged at 75 pages per episode due to the fast paced speech in the show).

The other actors in this show and their corresponding character are;

Lauren Graham- Lorelai Gilmore
Kelly Bishop- Emily Gilmore
Edward Herrmann- Richard Gilmore
Scott Patterson- Luke Danes
Melissa McCarthy- Sookie St. James
Jared Padaleki- Dean Forester

Of course, there are a number of characters in the show, though throughout season 1, these are the frequently reoccurring.

The acting in the show is good, there are some off moments, Lauren Graham I feel is sometimes a little too hyperactive (though this is also partly down to her character), and her fake laughing and crying isn’t particularly good, though we do need to remember that this is season 1, and the acting in long standing shows tends to get better and better as the seasons progress.

Who is the show for?

This show is brilliant for all ages; there is no bad language or adult content (sex is referenced mildly), alcohol is referenced, but not to an extreme, and the content of the storylines is tame. I have been watching the season 1 episodes with my 6 year old- I can’t say she is “enjoying” the show, but she will happily sit and watch it with me, and doesn’t get bored, she laughs in some parts, but doesn’t quite understand all of it.

The show was originally aimed at the teenage market (being shown originally on Nickelodeon alongside shows such as What I Like About You and Keenan and Kel), and whilst I was very young when the show began, I am now watching again as an adult and finding it just as entertaining now as I did then. I think the interesting thing is that when I was younger and watching the show, I was much more interested in the life of Rory, her days in school, her relationships with boys and her friends, but now as an adult, I find myself more interested in the life of Lorelai, and the things that I maybe didn’t understand about Lorelai when I was younger, I now completely get. And I cannot help but hope that me, and my own daughter have a similar relationship.

All in all, I would say that the show is pretty perfect for all girls and women between the ages of around 11/12 to adulthood. Though, I do admit I have a shocking guilty pleasure of enjoying American teen shows (Pretty Little Liars, Scream, 90210, Once Upon A Time) so maybe a normal 27 year old woman wouldn’t actually enjoy the show!

Availability

Season 1 is available on DVD either on its own or as part of a whole set of 7 seasons. Zavvi.com are selling the full 7 seasons for £37.99, and Season 1 on its own it £12.99.

Seasons 1 through 7 are also available on Netflix who tend to offer one month’s free subscription for new subscribers.

Conclusion

The show, in my opinion, is fantastic. It has the right mix of comedy and drama, and there is always something going on in each episode. There are no climatic cliff hangers, so it is nowhere near as exciting as other similar shows, and there is no real mystery element to the episodes, we are simply following the lives of a mother and daughter in their chaotic little lives in a small town in Connecticut. The show is endearing, and heart-warming, and has a feel good vibe to it. You will find yourself willing the characters on in their endeavours, and feeling good for them when good things happen!

If you have never seen this show, and you are into these types of shows (think the above; What I Like About You, 90210, Once Upon A Time) then I definitely recommend you give it a go. I recommend giving it a few episodes before casting it aside if you feel like you don’t really like it as it is a slight slow burner at the beginning, with not much of a “story” more just background on the characters.
I wouldn’t recommend the show to anybody who doesn’t enjoy American TV shows, the show is VERY small town American, with American values and festivals celebrated, and maybe the older you are, the less you would enjoy the show, I do think I am a bit on an anomaly where teen shows are concerned!
All in all, a brilliant feel good show which is well worth a watch!

• Essexgirl2006 published 25/07/2017
    I'd heard the hype around the return of it, but completely missed its very existence originally.
  • carlz2001 published 21/07/2017